Omnisphere 2.6 is Out

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Quasar, Mar 27, 2019.

1. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Preach, brother!

dcoscina likes this.
  2. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Just save up for it, forget all the never ending seeming “deals of a life time” and just buy Omnisphere. Forget food, shelter and steal your neighbour’s water. I promise you, you will not regret it! :)

3. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Active Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I wish they would come out with a student discount...

4. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    fwiw Guitar Center/Musicians Friend often have sales with 15% or 20% discount coupon codes,that's how I bought Omni.
    It's not cheap but Spectrasonics keeps updating(free) and improving Omni.
    In in the long run it's really a bargain compared to all of the distress sale softsynths that you'll rarely use.
    For me if I had bought Omni & everything U-he my synth needs would be basically covered and I wouldn't have spent so much $$ on synths I rarely use.

5. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Active Member

Oct 26, 2018
    Interesting and helpful. I would like to learn sound design with synths, but I'm still learning how to make my orchestral/cinematic arrangements sound good, so I would like something that gives me better, quicker results (my current presets for the Zebra Demo are less than stellar), and it sounds like Omni is that something.

6. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Anyone else missing the speed and length knobs in the arpeggiator?
    I'm running Logic 10.3.2 on OSX 10.11.6
    Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 11.46.25 PM.png

7. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    I’m not a programmer but imo Zebra,Diva,Repro,Omni etc..... are great synths. The biggest limitation is the knowledge and skill set of the user.
    Learning how to program a synth like Howard,the Unfinished, Eric Persing etc.... is a specialized talent and skill that takes time to master. These guys are the best & have been at it for years.
    As others have mentioned Zebra is a wonderful but deep synth.
    If anyone could master this in a couple of weeks there wouldn’t be such a thriving preset market.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  8. AmbientMile

AmbientMile Member

Oct 24, 2014
    SoCal
    No problem here but I'm on latest Logic version and Mac 10.13.6

9. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks - I can adjust them if I hover there. I just can't see them

10. Per Boysen

Per Boysen New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Sweden
    YES! I love that workflow. Playing arps like instruments is such fast, fun and creative, but there are always a few notes you would like to change. For years I was using a VST plugin to "record and export MIDI" from a live tweaked arp (mostly in Logic) but now having this option right at your fingertips in Omni must be awesome. Have turned off the phone now to learn 2.6 today :)

SoNowWhat?, whiskers and Soundhound like this.
  11. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Logic 10.4.4 on 10.13.6 here:

Omni-26.jpg

whiskers and jtnyc like this.
  12. Monkberry

Monkberry Member

Jan 7, 2015
    New York
    Great Update!! The arpeggiator is so good. Thanks so much Eric & company.

JohnG, dcoscina and whiskers like this.
  13. Vin

Vin uᴉΛ

Feb 14, 2014
    The Zone
    I don't know how they keep making it better when it's already insanely good. And it's only a .6 update. Thanks Eric & Spectrasonics!

whiskers likes this.
  14. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Due to time restrictions I auditioned all of the 1000 new sounds at the same time by loading up multiple instances of Omni and putting them all on the same MIDI channel. I don't recommend this. I think my cat is dead and the neighbors house is missing. Thankfully I live in Texas and can use the whole "did you see that tornado?!" routine.

Seriously though Eric and his team have done it again. A complete masterpiece.

15. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    I usually cringe when people say OMG. But I'll say it... OMG. This update is a game changer. I just started playing some of the new arpeggiator patches and am blown away. Wow and wow.

JohnG and dcoscina like this.
  16. chasmanian

chasmanian Member

Sep 14, 2016
    "Do to time restrictions I auditioned all of the 1000 new sounds at the same time by loading up multiple instances of Omni and putting them all on the same MIDI channel. I don't recommend this. I think my cat is dead and the neighbors house is missing. Thankfully I live in Texas and can use the whole "did you see that tornado?!" routine.

Seriously though Eric and his team have done it again. A complete masterpiece."

well, now I have to clean my dinner off of my computer, (which I spit out from laughing so hard at your post). :)
    this is seriously creative and funny writing.
    thank you for posting it.
    maybe send it to Eric. I bet he would love it.

Fleer and dpasdernick like this.
  17. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    People buy patches for a lot of reasons. There is also a big market for people who buy loop sets to use with Ableton, but that doesn't mean that it's so hard to actually come up with your own melodies and performances.

Many years of hard work went into making Omni EASY to program for somebody who knows absolutely nothing about synths and has no desire to learn. Anybody can learn to make spectacular patches in Omni in a few days. Because making your own patch in Omni means combining 2-4 of the 14,000 sounds that come with Omnisphere.

If you are a follower of John Lehmkuhl, the Plugin Guru, you'll know he regularly releases libraries of sounds created by his YouTube "students." Even at the high level Lehmkuhl creates patches, he's still able to teach regular people to do amazing work in not much time. He's a good teacher, but Omni has been laid out in a very clear way that makes sense to beginners.

There are other synths that are built from the ground up to be relatively easy, including Rob Papen's Go2 and Arturia's Pigments. Check out their marketing.

But I do agree with you about Zebra. I have been programming synths since I got my first hardware ones in the 80s, and there is no way in a billion years that I would be able to take a sound out of my head and make it come out of Zebra.

By the way, the sounds in this new upgrade of Omnisphere are better than most libraries you pay $100-$200 or more for. Thank you, Eric Persing!!!

18. LinusW

LinusW Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I got it when 2.0 came out so the wallet has been very happy about 2.5 and 2.6.

19. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Meanwhile 3 of my synths correspond to Omni 2.6 via hardware profile. I've got Novation Peak, Roland SE-02 and the MS20i (not really a synth but just a hardware controller).
    It's really funny that all of the 3 controllers have a kind of an own sound pofile. Doing more or less the same things on each controller gives different results in Omnisphere. It feels like using 3 different synths. That's really strange as in all 3 cases you hear the same plugin. The difference is actually just using a selection of Omnispheres possibilities limited by the hardware.

Joe Maron and TigerTheFrog like this.
  20. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    This is why I find the whole Hardware Profiles concept so fascinating. I think its about 60 synths now, which you can think of as 60 bespoke limitations on the Mother Synth. By artificially imposing constraints (and actively encouraging specific paths), you go down roads you wouldn't otherwise have gone down. While obviously different synths have their own tonal characteristics, I've long felt that a lot of a synth's character and sound is actually to do with its architecture, which is something that can be emulated.

The Hardware Profiles have their own twists on the synths too. There not 1:1 matches, but I like that they've taken the spirit of the synth. I have the MS20iC, and what they've done with the patch bay is make some specific actions on certain patch combinations. It's not as versatile as the full patch bay of course, but again its guiding you down MS20ish paths, and adding era-appropriate touches like the spring reverb.

All of this is a good reason to run something like Midi Designer Pro 2 or Ableton profiles, to have some fun programming Omnisphere along these lines. In theory every single new patch in the Hardware Library could have been created without the hardware, but in practice the majority never would have existed without the hardware to guide the programmer. I still think it might be a nice idea in a future version to have custom front panels a la the Trilian and Keyscape panels, with some of the unique features to each profiled synth to give everyone at least a little taste of this. There wouldn't be space for much, but it could be a fun programming aid.

Incidentally I noticed that lots of the new patches are Eric's own fine work. I like that even though he runs this now pretty big company and designs all the products, he still makes the time to do something he clearly loves, design the patches themselves.

Joe Maron and Saxer like this.