What's new

Omnisphere 2.5 update is now live!

Jaap

Did the beta for a good while and never experienced any issues with it and now the 2.5 version went officialy live. Yes!

Omnisphere Software 2.5.0dIncludes the following features and fixes:

• New Hardware Synth Integration feature
  • Expanded Synthesis Features:
    - Four Layers per part
    - Eight LFOs per part
    - Twelve Envelopes per part
    - Two new State Variable Filters (12dB and 24dB)
    - Doubled Mod Matrix (48 slots)
    - New modulation source "Constant Bipolar"
    - New modulation target "Unison Spread"
    - New "Shared Signal Path" mode to recreate the signal path of hardware synths
  • Major GUI update containing the following:
    - New high resolution, rescalable interface
    - New Granular layout with waveform display - New Live Mode Mixer View
    - New FX Unit Preset steppers
    - New Layer Level Meters
    - New Stereo Part Level Meter
  • GUI Link: Omnisphere follows the moves on the hardware synth by auto- switching to the relevant page of the last moved hardware control
  • Windows Multitouch Support
  • New "Pitch Options" in the System page allows saving master tuning and scale selections in multis or host sessions
  • New Per-layer solo (Option+Click on A/B/C/D button)
  • Cross-layer linking: new behavior for clicking on link buttons
  • New Mod Matrix "All Layers" capability: when enabled, a modulation applies to the relevant parameter in all layers
  • Support for high-resolution CC values
  • Show Link and Shared status when adjusting a control
  • Support for foreign-languages in patch names, tags, search, etc.
  • Set default scaling to be 1.2x for new users
  • Permit user to enter Patch ratings via numbers on computer keyboard
  • New "Clear all browser learns" action on Utility menu
  • Display Master Filter Frequency in Hz
  • Show "Unlearn" contextual menu choice on file menus and waveform menus
  • Enlarge clickable region for some steppers to be more user-friendly
  • "Auto Recall" feature in System is now a User Preference that remembers the last library/directory from which user loaded a patch
  • On menu-based parameters in the Effects racks, don't show the "modulate .." contextual menu choice
  • Fixes minor issue in background bitmap of Thriftshop Speaker FX
  • Fixes issue where "User Audio" was not properly importing all varieties of loop-point data in AIF files
  • Fixes issue where Wacom tablet/pen devices were not working with Omnisphere on Windows
  • Fixes issue with a rare crash in Ableton Live related to Granularity
  • Fixes issue with a rare crash on Windows with "Les and Tob's retro Band" multi
  • Fixes issue where "Reset to default" on Aux Send controls should reset to 0.0, not 0.5
  • Fixes issue related to Auto-audition patches when browsing: (a) fix bug where the audition duration was sometimes truncated for patches with 3 or 4 voices; and (b) make Auto-Audition on/off a User Preference
  • Fixes issue where FX rack GUI could sometimes show random FX controls with blue "is modulated" highlight
  • Enhances Spectrasonics Updater for Windows to eliminate mention of 32-bit
Omnisphere Soundsources 2.5.0cIncludes the following features and fixes:

• Adds over 100 New “Analog” Oscillator Wavetables
Omnisphere Patches 2.5.0cIncludes the following features and fixes:

• New "Hardware Library" with over 1,000 new patches
  • New "Hardware Profiles" for the following hardware synths:
    - Dave Smith Prophet X
    - Dave Smith Prophet 12
    - Dave Smith OB-6
    - Dave Smith REV2
    - Sequential Prophet 6
    - Access Virus A
    - Access Virus B
    - Clavia Nord Lead 1
    - Clavia Nord Lead 2
    - Moog Sub 37
    - Moog Subsequent 37
    - Moog Voyager
    - Moog Sub Phatty
    - Moog Little Phatty
    - Moog Slim Phatty
    - Novation Peak
    - Novation Circuit Mono Station
    - Novation Bass Station II
    - Korg Prologue
    - Korg Minilogue
    - Korg Monologue
    - Roland System-1
    - Roland System-1m
    - Roland System-8
    - Roland SE-02
    - Roland SH-01
    - Roland JP-08
    - Roland JU-06
    - Roland JX-03
    - Roland VP-03
    - Studiologic Sledge
  • Improved Patch categorization with new "Synth Long" and "Synth Short" categories

I bought the Roland SE02 just to try it with Omnisphere (beta) and I must say: it's worth to buy a hardware synth just to control Omnisphere even if you don't connect the hardware synths outputs. Sounds weird but it really feels like using the hardware synth while controlling Omnisphere... but you can open as much as your computer can handle and everything is saved in the song. Really best of both worlds! Cudos to Spectrasonics!

I bought the Roland SE02 just to try it with Omnisphere (beta) and I must say: it's worth to buy a hardware synth just to control Omnisphere even if you don't connect the hardware synths outputs. Sounds weird but it really feels like using the hardware synth while controlling Omnisphere... but you can open as much as your computer can handle and everything is saved in the song. Really best of both worlds! Cudos to Spectrasonics!
Can you control any preset in Ominsphere from the hardware synth or only the presets modeled on that hardware?

Can you control any preset in Ominsphere from the hardware synth or only the presets modeled on that hardware?
I have to switch to the SE02 hardware profile that turns Omnisphere into a 'kind of' SE02. That means: the SE02 has a 24dB lowpass filter. If I turn the cutoff knob the Omni filter immediately turns into a 24dB lowpass. That happens to all layers (as the SE02 has only one filter for all oscillators). But that works with any of the sounds. I can load a OB08 sound and change the attack time. The envelope turns into the Moog style envelope of the SE08 (Attack, Decay, Sustain) but the rest of the sound is still OB08-like. Until I turn the cutoff and it will use the 24dB. So the more knobs I use the more it turns into a SE02. Same with Efx etc... Certainly it's possible to change every parameter on the Omni GUI. Like making a dark pad with filter modulation using the hardware and then change the filter by mouse or add a sample layer.
So it kind of make sense to have different synths for different Omni sound characteristics.

I was playing and editing sounds on the SE02 and more than once I thought: "Hey, fat sounding little synth" until I realized I was listening to Omnisphere.

Last edited:
From a post in the other forum:

I have it, and the Novation Peak. This stuff is game changing guys. The integration is truly mindblowing. Mine is a pretty deep synth, but everything just appears in Omnisphere and it actually sounds like my Peak. It's really mindblowing stuff that Omnisphere becomes a host for your synth, but then with the updated power of Omni itself. It really puts Omnisphere a huge step above the rest, if it already wasn't.

[William Shatner Star Trek voice] "...must...resist...getting...hardware...synth......"

but ... resistance is futile :)

It sounds like they sampled all the various synths. That's a huge selling point, unless it requires the synth to get the sounds to play.

Good overview:

I know I wasn't one of the only people asking for some of the features that were implemented, but it still feels great seeing something you asked for put into place on a new version of the library!

It sounds like they sampled all the various synths. That's a huge selling point, unless it requires the synth to get the sounds to play.

No -- Omni always has had synth capabilities. This just takes it to another level.

price?
edit: ok i got it, €399
edit2: FREE update! amazing

Last edited:
It's very cool...! The d'load crashed my first attempt, and the second attempt seemed a little slow. But the second attempt was a success, and to get all of the new stuff for free is fun!

Tomorrow, I'm going to hook up a few of the synths on the list and see how they talk to Omni 2.5, and compare the sounds from the synth output to the Omni output.

I already had other updates planned to apply tonight, but when the video for this update showed up on YouTube, I knew I'd just added another thing to my to-do list for the evening.

The hardware synth integration is cool and all, except that I don't own any of those synths. But it is still an amazing update, with double the layers and a much prettier, high-res interface ... awesomeness all around.

I already had other updates planned to apply tonight, but when the video for this update showed up on YouTube, I knew I'd just added another thing to my to-do list for the evening.

The hardware synth integration is cool and all, except that I don't own any of those synths. But it is still an amazing update, with double the layers and a much prettier, high-res interface ... awesomeness all around.
you don't need to own those synths, the sounds are there with or without them!

Very exciting!
Just a heads up you'll have to reinstall your 3rd party Multi patches I've discovered.

you don't need to own those synths, the sounds are there with or without them!

Yep, I understood that. But the physical controls are kind of the point, it seems to me. I don’t want to just call up presets ... I want to be able to twiddle knobs and tweak.

What I’d like to do is figure out a way to control one or more of these synth interfaces using the knobs, buttons and sliders on a Novation Impulse controller, probably combined with a 2nd controller (like an MPD32) to have enough controls. I suppose I’d need to know what the supported hardware synths send for MIDI data in order to emulate that. Alas, I don’t think using MIDI learn on Omnisphere’s standard controls is going to get it done.

Top Bottom