Olafur Arnalds live

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by Mornats, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    So, for my birthday my lovely girlfriend got me tickets to see Olafur Arnalds live in Bath. We've just come back and what a show! It was absolutely stunning and beautiful. Olafur came across as being a really lovely guy too. Super blurry pic below:

IMG_20180927_203751.jpg

The string quartet sounded quite like one of his Evos at times which was wonderful to hear live.

2. Harry

Harry Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Just watched his Helsinki concert. Superb stuff. Surprised not more posts about his tour here. And indeed, the string quartet is extraordinarily detailed, to the very last scrapes.

Kevin Fortin, Mornats and rlw like this.
  3. asherpope

asherpope Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Saw him in Melbourne a couple of months ago. It was brilliant

4. OP
    OP
    Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I was very intrigued by his self-playing pianos. He used them in his performance but they also just played away to themselves whilst we were waiting for the show to start.

5. TuomasP

TuomasP Active Member

Saw him in Helsinki yesterday - a stellar gig!. Downside It was depressing to play some solo sample libraries at home after the show. everything sounds so bland :D

btw. I couldn't find any technical aspect about those automated pianos - like is there a lot of servo motors controlling every key etc.

poetd likes this.
  6. Harry

Harry Active Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Here's a video of Olafur showing how these self-playing pianos work. Interesting.

Mornats likes this.
  7. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Leeds Town Hall last night.
    Gorgeous venue that suited both Olafur and Lisa's sounds.

[​IMG]

Lisa Morgenstern was so engaging that I doubt she'll be warming up for anyone for much longer.
    When she unleashed her inner Bulgarian on the crowd the place was completely flattened. Devastating.

Olafur was superb. Seemingly endlessly pulling you in and out of a massive swirling wall of beautiful sounds only to keep breaking it down again to remind you that it's just 1 guy with a piano and a string quartet. Amazing live and in some ways better live than on record.
    So glad I went.

Oh and how brilliant is the technology we have now that you can drop a bass line that threatens to shake a building to rubble but still hear the tiniest whispered Sul-G on a violin on the top of it?
    Thank you all those software and DAW guys (and last nights sound engineer, top job), keep it up. Heh. :)

Mornats likes this.
  8. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    I heard a rumor that this tour is being filmed to be released on video. I hope so! Would love to see it on BluRay and home theater system.

tebling and poetd like this.
  9. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Yeah I hear ya. There aren't any string libraries that even come close to the expressiveness of a quartet like that. The Bohemian series are heading in the right direction, but all other solo strings libraries fall short.

10. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    I saw him live in SF and it was bad. I’m a huge fan, samples libraries and CDs. But the sound was off at the venue. It wasn’t a posh place like these pictures above. The PA buzzed the entire time. I was pretty disappointed and came to the realization the magic is in the studio releases. She even asked me at the end of the night: “I know you really like him and was looking forward to this so I didn’t want to disappoint you, but I don’t get it..... that (show) was pretty bad.” -classically trained musician

Why didn’t they book a nice venue in SF? We have opera houses, the SFJAZZ,etc....

Sorry to be the outlier here. I wanted it to be incredible, it just didn’t translate to live.

poetd likes this.
  11. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    You saw him in South Florida? j/k

Was it on this current tour or a few years ago? I got the impression that the purpose of the current tour was to really focus on great live performances. Although every performance can be hit or miss. I definitely learned that from seeing some of my favorite rock bands over the years.

Josh Richman likes this.
  12. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    It was the current tour but I think at the beginning of the tour. The San Francisco concert.

13. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I dunno, sometimes a buzzy PA can sound interesting in a LaMonte Young sorta way. Even better if someone is kicking your chair.

14. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    Will see him at the Philharmonie de Paris in November.