What's new

Olafur Arnalds Felt Piano ?

damcry

Hi
Can anybody tell me how loud are ambient noises ?

In fact I dont like when these noises (pedal, keys ...) are too present, and when we cant de-activate them (I own Woodchester and Una Corda , but not very fan of them for this reason)

I watched and listened many demos of OA Felt piano and on some , ambient noises are really present, whereas in some others we dont hear them ...

Last edited:
I have the library. I don't notice overbearing pedal or key sounds, per se, but there is a slight noise from the felt/ hammer impact which is characteristic of "felt" pianos. There is a control for a layered pad in the "Mixed" preset.

Hi
Can anybody tell me how loud are ambient noises ?
In fact I dont like when these noises (pedal, keys ...) are too present, and when we cant de-activate them (I own Woodchester and Una Corda , but not very fan of them for this reason)
I watched and listened many demos of OA Felt piano and on some , ambient noises are really present, whereas in some others we dont hear them ...

This one doesn't really have any ambient noises. You can crank up the pedal noise, or crank it all the way down. But oddly there are no key click noise options.

I'm pretty sure you can turn key clicks and noises all the way off on Una Corda though?

Theres no control for the felt noise. It is intrinsic to the sound of felt piano, from what I can tell. Not sure about the NI Noire library but OA Felt Piano doesn't have key noise control

Noire offers significant control over all the felt piano noises, while OA does not. You can control the felt sound with Noire. I'd take Noire and Woodchester over OA felt, they are both much more versatile.

Noire offers significant control over all the felt piano noises, while OA does not. You can control the felt sound with Noire. I'd take Noire and Woodchester over OA felt, they are both much more versatile.

I have all of Woodchester Pianos and their mallets! Great Libs, but they don't offer more control, intact the noise on those are significantly louder.

I have all of Woodchester Pianos and their mallets! Great Libs, but they don't offer more control, intact the noise on those are significantly louder.
I said Woodchester is more versatile, not that it offers more control over felt piano sounds. I think the Woodchester can be used for more things than OA but that's just me and my opinion :)

But Noire most certainly offers more control over everything, it's very tweakable.

I said Woodchester is more versatile, not that it offers more control over felt piano sounds. I think the Woodchester can be used for more things than OA but that's just me and my opinion :)

But Noire most certainly offers more control over everything, it's very tweakable.

Got it. I've been contemplating Noire... I didn't pull the trigger on it yet. I've also been eyeballing SF HZ Piano

Last edited:
I've been contemplating Noire... I didn't;t pull the trigger on it yet. I've also been eyeballing SF HZ Piano
Noire has become one of my go-to pianos, I do like the tone of the Woodchester more but Noire is so tweakable I can get it to do a lot of stuff, and the Particles engine is so much fun. I think it's the best piano from Galaxy Instruments.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on Noire but I loaded up Fracture Sound Woodchester Piano, again and MAN OH MAN does this library sound good. So I can say that OA Felt, SF Soft Piano FS Woodcheter & Midnight Grand all sound great and can give you "that sound" for modern film scores.

Woodchester has a bit more piano attack+body so it cuts through with more clarity than the other I mentioned.

It has some “character” loudness, like, in the pedal and such. It’s worth saying that I adore this library. When I bought it, I didn’t think it was going to be worth the price. But it has repaid itself many times over because the intimate piano sound continuously finds its way into various cues I do. It sounds that good.

It has some “character” loudness, like, in the pedal and such. It’s worth saying that I adore this library. When I bought it, I didn’t think it was going to be worth the price. But it has repaid itself many times over because the intimate piano sound continuously finds its way into various cues I do. It sounds that good.

You are referring to OA Felt Piano, right?

After looking over the two libs again Woodchester does offer a bit more control than the OA felt, you can adjust key release, pianist noises,and the color. The OA felt does not allow this, you can only adjust reverb and pedal noise with it, plus mic positions.

Top Bottom