What's new

OK breweries enough already: embrace the twist-off cap

bill5

Anyone not getting this? If respectable wines can embrace the screw-off top, and various ones have now, why can't breweries do similar and realize that to do otherwise is pretentious BS?

Yes these are the deep thoughts I think sometimes.

OP
B

bill5

No idea what's fun about opening a bottle or needing a bottle opener when it's easily avoided with a twist-off, but to each their own :)

I still don't get why "no." With a twist-off, you don't need any kind of opener.

OP
B

bill5

But you can't be everywhere...think of the millions of others deprived of your skills here

dzilizzi

Because they paid a whole lot of money for a capping machine that won't do screw tops? Additionally, the bottles would have to change to allow for the screw tops. It is a special bottling machine for screw tops in wineries that most don't have. Plus there is still a question of whether screw tops and fake corks let in too much air. So for beer that might mean say good-bye to all the bubbles. Although, soft drinks have screw caps, but they use plastic bottles.

They actually use caps like beer caps for bottle fermented champagne during the secondary fermentation that produces the bubbles.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it is a pressure thing. I know you can't use regular bottles for champagne because they will explode. And the corks on sparkling wine are definitely different.

But aren't most of the bottle caps on beer able to be unscrewed by hand?

MartinH.

You can pop a top off a beer bottle with anything laying around... a knife, a key, a rock, whatever. It's part of the fun for me.
I've seen a friend of mine do it with a sheet of paper. You need to fold it the right way so that it's rigid enough. If you haven't tried that one yet, maybe it's worth adding to your skillset.

I knew a guy who would always use his teeth... would not recommend.

kgdrum

Greetings
No bottle opener? A key or a small screw driver always works.No beer I like to drink has ever had a screw top.

OP
B

bill5

Because they paid a whole lot of money for a capping machine that won't do screw tops? Additionally, the bottles would have to change to allow for the screw tops.
That's a valid point.

Plus there is still a question of whether screw tops and fake corks let in too much air.
I've never seen a beer bottle that was corked, fake or otherwise. I do know screw tops don't let any air in.

dzilizzi

Only the cheapos. Budweiser, Coors, Coors Light, Miller, Miller Lite, etc.

The beers worth drinking have real caps. Except for Corona and Heineken. Those have real caps but are definitely not worth drinking.
I normally only drink porter, and sometimes stout, so I don't really know about the caps on any of those light colored beers. ;)

LamaRose

Gato Mighty!
Screw-off wine? Screw-that! Might as well cap that wine in a tin can.

I was in a Family Dollar a few weeks back desperately looking for a corkscrew as mine had snapped in two. This older, kindly, grisly truck driver was in there desperately seeking something even more banal... anyway, we helped each other out. I never found my corkscrew, but this old dude was adamant that a drywall screw would do wonders... he looked at me intently, grinned, and said, "trust me, son, it works!" I could tell that he had tested this theory on many occasions. Long story short, I now proudly use my 18v dewalt drill and drywall screws to impress the guests... hell, my cats even seemed intrigued by the drunken, electric hum.

dzilizzi

I've never seen a beer bottle that was corked, fake or otherwise. I do know screw tops don't let any air in.
If they are done right? Screw tops should work. And probably isn't an issue for beer, because they don't normally age it. Normally. I just know wine in screw tops doesn't last for years like wine with corks. :) But then beer doesn't usually sit around long enough for this to be a problem, I think.

But I've seen corks used. Mostly on homebrew beer, but there are some Belgian beers with corks. Though not usually wine type corks.

LamaRose

Gato Mighty!
Only the cheapos. Budweiser, Coors, Coors Light, Miller, Miller Lite, etc.

The beers worth drinking have real caps. Except for Corona and Heineken. Those have real caps but are definitely not worth drinking.
The only beer I can recommend where I live is Ketel One... and yes, I'm definitely a caps-man... and the tighter the better!

kgdrum

Greetings
Last edited:

Monkey Man

Charitable Hack
Used to drink Grolsch; it's great!

Still got a bunch of empty bottles lying around somewhere 'cause they seemed worth keeping 'cause of the pop-open action and great seal.

Top Bottom