What's new

Offline bouncing theory

Does offline bouncing use more, less, or the same CPU as real-time playback?

Basically offline bouncing forces the CPU to do as much calculating at a time as possible, so even a project that is very moderate will use much more CPU as otherwise (as mentioned, if possible, which isn't always the case).
OTOH, projects that wouldn't rund smooth anymore because the CPU requirements are brutal, will render at a speed that allows the CPU to do all calculations properly.
The RAM usage will remain basically the same, except that some programs will store the bounce into RAM if there is further processing required (e.g. when someone uses the "normalize bounced file" option)
Also here, if a sampler struggles to stream all sample data into memory in time in a project, which may result in dropouts etc. typically won't have these issues when bouncing offline. Instead, the bouncing will require a tiny bit more time.

Then there is the aspect to keep in mind that several plugins allow better settings for offline rendering, like e.g. Diva, Kazrog's True Iron, etc. etc.
So these will require more CPU in offline bounce mode.

Then there is the aspect to keep in mind that several plugins allow better settings for offline rendering, like e.g. Diva, Kazrog's True Iron, etc. etc.
I've found that the offline quality settings don't seem to be stored globally in the plugins I use (eg Diva, Gullfoss, Soothe), so you have to remember to set them every time. I would always prefer to use the highest quality options at render time - does anyone know how to make that stick?

I've found that the offline quality settings don't seem to be stored globally in the plugins I use (eg Diva, Gullfoss, Soothe), so you have to remember to set them every time. I would always prefer to use the highest quality options at render time - does anyone know how to make that stick?

Unfortunately there is no global solution for this issue yet.
Some plugins (like True Iron) remember the quality settings, others don't.

For some plugins it would be wrong anyway:
Not all sounds are better with higher quality settings; e.g. there is a soundbank in Diva that is meant to be used with draft mode, and also sounds better as with better settings.
There are also lots of sounds in u-He's ACE that sound worlds better in their appropriate – lower – quality setting (i used one heavily in a film score some years ago, that's why i remember it specifically)

But i agree that such an option would make sense for lots of plugins.

Top Bottom