What's new

Official Teaser Trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Wow, I actually enjoyed the music to that trailer. Obvious quotes of the various motifs, yes, but it didn't slam them in your face (with maybe one exception). Seamless weaving of The Force Theme and Rey's Theme, and passable reharmonization of The Force Theme -- it was here where it started to tread dangerously close to cliched trailer music but I think it pulled it off -- perhaps only just -- at least up until the presentation of the title at the end, which for me was the most disappointing part.

Compared to the TFA trailer it's a huge step up.

Do we know who composed the music?

Last edited:
Wow, I actually enjoyed the music to that trailer. Obvious quotes of the various motifs, yes, but it didn't slam them in your face (with maybe one exception). Seamless weaving of The Force Theme and Rey's Theme, and passable reharmonization of The Force Theme -- it was here where it started to tread dangerously close to cliched trailer music but I think it pulled it off -- perhaps only just -- at least up until the presentation of the title at the end, which for me was the most disappointing part.

Compared to the TFA trailer it's a huge step up.

Do we know who composed the music?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't John Williams. I'm pretty sure he did the first 2 teasers for TFA (not the big trailer with Han/Leia's theme etc.). This sounded like him (and like it was recorded in LA).

P.S. The haunting Rey's Theme at the beginning was great. I can't wait to see how he evolves the themes in this one.

Although I have no desire for winter to come back anytime soon (Boise had a freaky strong winter this last season with 30" of snow just in January), I cannot wait until December! Thanks for sharing that trailer. :)

Damn, I love this trailer. Very tasteful and interesting uses of the OT + Sequel themes side by side. The bit where they had to chop some beats when it cut to the Falcon flyby was a little wonky but OK.

That chord at the start of the trailer... we need more cool hip stuff like that and less of holding down an open fifth with Heavyocity Vocalise. Would not be surprised if this was written by JW. If not, congrats to the composer on a very worthy arrangement.

About the movie overall - I'm hyped as well. The issue with SW sequels has always been that there's really no clear reason to make new stories (other than money). ROTJ ended the saga. So any "sequel" movie would really be the beginning of a new saga with new heroes and villains - a new conflict with new stakes. Yet Disney didn't pay $4 billion for the right to make original movies, they paid for the rights to the AT-ATs and the lightsabers and Han Solo and all the rest. And, judging by the commercial success of Rogue One, audiences do want more "Star Wars stuff" even if there is almost no story inherent in the thing.

That's why TFA was simultaneously a pretty good, and pretty crappy, movie - because it had to square these two contradictory needs of being new Star Wars and more Star Wars. The stuff with introducing the 3 new characters at the beginning of the movie, and their confrontation at the end in the forest, was classic Star Wars imo. Visual and musical storytelling with simple, relatable characters on a big adventure. Everything in between, by contrast (Poe Dameron and The Resistance, Rathtars, Empire 2.0, BB-8, Snoke, a map to Luke, Maz Kanata, etc) was pretty much dreck. Even leaving out how derivative the plot was, it was just lifeless.

The main message of this trailer seems to be "Forget the bad parts of TFA because this is not going to be a beat for beat remake of Empire; we're going to launch into a new adventure, new ideas and unexplored story ground." I'm down for that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom