What's new

Off Topics/Latest Posts section question

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
And here it is: selective censorship.

And I disagree, I have seen the damage. I'm sure you can recall a few instances. The implications are nastier than what is publicly shared, for obvious reasons. People can always select to receive notifications when a new Off-Topic post is created, and will always receive notification after the first time they responded to a off-topic thread.

As for this thread: Discussion in 'Questions about the new site? Ask here!' I'm the one who started it, so I'm not sure what you would want me to do? Or maybe I do.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
When people get red-hot and forget etiquette and respect just to make their point
If and when this happens it seems like it doesn't hurt to have the mods do a little moderating, better than shutting off a whole section.

Since I feel like no one is willing to listen about this how about a more constructive idea.... could we have a section for anything on-topic that doesn't fit elsewhere? Sort of like an off-topic section but specifically for all things music or technology? Just scrolling through the "off-topic" area it looks like 21 of the first 25 posts are all in some way music or technology related. This is relevant stuff that should show in the latest posts. If you want to keep out the religion and politics fine but maybe let's separate that from everything else.

OP
Studio E

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I never saw the thread that got out of control, but I have to think, other than abusive behavior or threats, who cares? Let people get heated, express whatever. The free exchange of ideas is kind of central to the mindset of artists, no?

creativeforge

Barefoot Heart Music
I agree that visibility was an issue, as it was buried toward the bottom of the Sanctus Cafe, itself low on the page. So I have moved it up, and put it first in the Sanctus Cafe. Hopefully this will bring more visibility to it.

Hope this helps,

Andre

Nick Batzdorf

To be clear, Studio E, that thread didn't get out of control at all.

One person complained that we shouldn't be discussing abortion because he found the topic offensive. And yes, that's really what happened.

But I do like the higher position better.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
One person complained
I complained. And it wasn't because I found the topic offensive, but that's an entirely different argument. But I was not by far the only one, there were many.

I apologize now, the end result was not what I had hoped for. And as I've said, no one was consulted, the end result was overboard.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
I agree that visibility was an issue, as it was buried toward the bottom of the Sanctus Cafe, itself low on the page. So I have moved it up, and put it first in the Sanctus Cafe. Hopefully this will bring more visibility to it.
Nope, doesn't help. But thanks for trying. I know you mean well.

Nick Batzdorf

Where's the link, chillbot? What did I get wrong? All I remember is that you didn't think abortion was an appropriate topic for discussion.

Nothing comes up in the search, so I can't find it.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
It'll come up on the first page if you search "abortion discussion". I only posted once in that thread, and it was only a glorified +1 to a post from The Darris. I also didn't PM any of the mods about it, that was my one and only comment. Though in response to my one post I got 5 or 6 PMs randomly from members agreeing with me. And I gather from what Hannes said that many people had been sending PMs to the mods about it.

My point is I wasn't actively campaigning against the thread, I just thought it didn't belong. So I'll take some responsibility but never intended to shut down an entire section of the forum.

Nick Batzdorf

Ah, okay. Found it. Now I remember.

Yeah, Hannes broke off the discussion into a separate thread. Actually, it was a pretty good argument.

And as always, I won.

Top Bottom