What's new

NY Times: 5 Minutes That Will Make You Love the Cello / Piano / Opera / Classical Music

Reid Rosefelt

aka Tiger the Frog
Nice piece in the Times where they asked people for a cello piece that had meaning for them.

They asked a lot of critics, but also cellists Yo-Yo Ma, Tomeka Reid and Sheku Kanneh-Mason, and other people in the music world, like many critics, John Williams, Joshua Bell, Andrew Lloyd Webber, choreographers (Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Benjamin Millepied), conductor Alan Gilbert, Artistic Director of Carnegie Hall Clive Gillinson, etc.

There are links to the music, so it's a fun thing to go through. And I learned a bit from this, like Yo-Yo Ma's story about Dvorak and Victor Herbert.

Last edited:
I already love the cello. The first piece I ever wrote is a duet for guitar and recorder. But it was missing something. One instrument to tie all the others together. So now it is a duet for guitar, recorder and cello.

Cello melts my brain sometimes, with its beauty. An expressive cello section blows my face into a billion pieces, and then reassembles it into a satisfied smile.

Top Bottom