Number of posts per page?

Gerry

I sure don't feel like a Senior Member
Howdy. I haven't seen it anywhere in my personal preferences, so I'm guessing that there's no way to change the number of posts per page, is there? Seems like 20 is the default allotment here. I know that I'd probably up my # to 50 or 100 per page if that were an available feature here...

Just thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks!

creativeforge

the plumber
Hi Gerry, I'm looking into it. But it wouldn't do to increase the load to 50 to 100 per page as it could create a much heavier load on the server. But let me get back to you on this.

Magnet

I just registered for an account in the hopes that I'd be able to expand the posts per page in preferences to something higher than 20. I much prefer less clicking through pages when reading threads. (I hope it's okay that I'm posting here in this old thread instead of making a new thread.)

creativeforge

the plumber
I just registered for an account in the hopes that I'd be able to expand the posts per page in preferences to something higher than 20. I much prefer less clicking through pages when reading threads. (I hope it's okay that I'm posting here in this old thread instead of making a new thread.)
Hi Magnet, welcome to VIC!

(Sorry @Gerry - looks like I dropped this one. :sad: )

As per your question, it is not possible for various very practical reasons. As the software developer noted, hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. Imagine having permalinks leading to PAGE 5 of a thread. Yours would be on PAGE 1, and someone else could be on page 3, and so on. The way it is set has been avoiding lots of such issues.

Hope this helps!

Andre

Last edited:
OP
Gerry

Gerry

Hi Magnet, welcome to VIC!

(Sorry @Gerry - looks like I dropped this one. :sad: )

As per your question, it is not possible for various very practical reasons. As the software developer noted, hard coded posts-per-page is necessary for fully canonical links, as well for usability. Imagine having permalinks leading to PAGE 5 of a thread. Yours would be on PAGE 1, and someone else could be on page 3, and so on. The way it is set has been avoiding lots of such issues.

Hope this helps!

Andre
Thanks for the reply/explanation, Andre. I understand that this forum is not built to include that sort of functionality. But fwiw, there *are* other forums out there that allow one to customize their preferred number of posts per page. And the fact that the posts are numbered should help with links, I'd think. Again, other folks have figured out a way to do it. And if I have to open up 10 pages of 20 posts/page, instead of 4 pages of 50 posts/page, is that really a much lighter load on the server?

OH WAIT... now this makes sense to me. 20 posts/page = more pages to open = MORE ADVERTISING $$! Got it. Hey, listen, I love this site, so I'm happy for you to be able to pay to keep it up and running. I just wish from my end that I didn't have to 1) do so much dang clicking; 2) have *multiple* browser tabs open just to see through an entire thread. (That's a heavier load on *my* home computer, fwiw.) But hey, I've gotten used to this format, at least, and again, I'm happy that it's operational and stable. So you (probably) won't hear me grousing about this again. (But really, especially for some of these lengthy threads, 20 is truly just an awfully small number.) Okay, I'm done. It is what it is, and the site is well worth it, even at a measly 20 posts/page.

creativeforge

the plumber
Thanks for the reply/explanation, Andre. I understand that this forum is not built to include that sort of functionality. But fwiw, there *are* other forums out there that allow one to customize their preferred number of posts per page. And the fact that the posts are numbered should help with links, I'd think. Again, other folks have figured out a way to do it. And if I have to open up 10 pages of 20 posts/page, instead of 4 pages of 50 posts/page, is that really a much lighter load on the server?

OH WAIT... now this makes sense to me. 20 posts/page = more pages to open = MORE ADVERTISING $$! Got it. Hey, listen, I love this site, so I'm happy for you to be able to pay to keep it up and running. I just wish from my end that I didn't have to 1) do so much dang clicking; 2) have *multiple* browser tabs open just to see through an entire thread. (That's a heavier load on *my* home computer, fwiw.) But hey, I've gotten used to this format, at least, and again, I'm happy that it's operational and stable. So you (probably) won't hear me grousing about this again. (But really, especially for some of these lengthy threads, 20 is truly just an awfully small number.) Okay, I'm done. It is what it is, and the site is well worth it, even at a measly 20 posts/page.
Hi Gerry, why so antagonistic? You really missed the whole thing, I'm sorry to say. Your assumptions are really off the mark by a long shot.

I'm aware that there are other forums using a different software. Having asked at the source on your behalf today, and having researched this and inquired about addons that could do this, the conclusion is that it is not possible, as the software is not designed this way.

One of the developers of Xenforo was previously lead developer for VBulletin. So there is a reason why this feature was not included in Xenforo, as it is available on VBulletin.

Sorry that it is an inconvenience for you. But in NO WAY has this anything to do with being a marketing "ploy."As for lengthy threads, many posts are pretty verbose, so 20 posts is not as you describe, it sometimes runs pretty long.

Anyways, I hope you will find something of value in those "measly 20 posts/page." Depending on the threads you interact with.

Regards,

Andre
Not the owner of the forum, but tech support. If you need anything, I'll be happy to help.

OP
Gerry

Gerry

Hi Magnet, why so antagonistic? You really missed the whole thing, I'm sorry to say. Your assumptions are really off the mark by a long shot. <snipped>
Hi again, Andre. Actually, that was I that wrote that response, not Magnet. And I'm sorry that you felt my reply was antagonistic. Seriously, I've no bad feelings here and have no wishes to get into any sort of unintentional flame war. But since I don't think you understood me well, I will respond to your email, fwiw.

1) I've gotten used to this forum being this way. As I said, it is what it is. I like this forum a whole lot, and I'm happy to be here. :)

2) I told you that I understand that this software "can't do that". That's fine, really. That doesn't mean that one can't express the opinion that there are other ways that might, in some cases, be better for the user experience. Especially if the topic comes back up in conversation.

3) I believe you when you say that it's not a marketing ploy. But you must admit that many sites *are* built with maximum clicks and ad exposure in mind. So it's not like it was an inconceivability. I threw that out there as a possibility that came up in my head just now, because I know such sites do exist. But you say that's not the case here, and I believe you. I retract the somewhat joking implication.

4) I'm not sure what you mean by, "As for lengthy threads, many posts run pretty long, so 20 posts is not as you describe, it sometimes runs pretty long." Ah wait, you mean any given *individual* post. Got it.

5) Thank you again for checking into the matter. I do appreciate your efforts both for this and for whatever other tech stuff you do for the site. (Oh! For one thing, maybe I can thank you for getting rid of the expanding profile info when one hovered over a user photo. I was *so* frustrated with that back in the day, and love the fact that that weirdness is now ancient history. Thanks!)

In sum, once again, just because the site is not designed to do more than 20 posts/page doesn't mean that some (many?) of us wouldn't prefer it if it could. But, that said, despite that shortcoming, it doesn't affect my enjoyment or fondness for this forum. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help, and for your understanding, as well.

- Gerry

creativeforge

the plumber
(Oh! For one thing, maybe I can thank you for getting rid of the expanding profile info when one hovered over a user photo. I was *so* frustrated with that back in the day, and love the fact that that weirdness is now ancient history. Thanks!)
UPDATED-

Yes, one of my favorite features to address the wasting of space so that more relevant content could be seen and not a big void under the post. Perfect for shorter posts, as these tended to have the profile cause big empty spaces after a short post. But it was just the wrong place to put a profile, I think. The new template works better for this.

You're welcome, glad we had that talk.

Peace,

Andre

Last edited: