What's new

Now here...MOTU DP11

I own Logic, Cubase, S1, Bitwig, Live, DP and others. DP's documentation is by far the best IMO, and DP does have integrated help, and a fantastic key command search etc. The tireless repetitive beating of the CHM drum is ruining this thread. Point stated - users with many decades experience with the product disagree.

Nice to see a robust discussion on DP here on VI-C. I'm looking forward to upgrading to 11 (articulation management at last! DP's lack of articulation management was the whole reason I started exploring Cubase and Studio One in the last year.). Anyway, using Touch OSC to control DP is not too hard. I made a very rudimentary transport control for DP in it. Also, wanted to point out that FB has a nice group for DP users -- look under MotuGuru.

So far no major problems with DP 11.02 but one project seems to be corrupted (it started misbehaving in 11.01) it hangs when I try to save and quit.
I seem to vaguely remember there’s a way to import everything into a new project and re-save but I’m not remembering exactly how and what to do……
🤔

So far no major problems with DP 11.02 but one project seems to be corrupted (it started misbehaving in 11.01) it hangs when I try to save and quit.
I seem to vaguely remember there’s a way to import everything into a new project and re-save but I’m not remembering exactly how and what to do……
🤔
"File /Load" - Select the Chunk you want to import... :)

@Garlu Thanks!
I’m unfortunately a perpetual perplexed novice with some aspects of DP like Chunks which I know is unforgivable,lol I want to understand the deeper aspects of DP but have never really gotten deep enough to grasp Chunks even though I presume I’m already using them unknowingly but haven’t grasped this most important feature of DP conceptually or or some of the other newer intricacies like V-Racks.
Am I correct in assuming that a project can be looked at as one big Chunk?
I need to take a DP deep dive, i keep on meaning to study the GROOVE3 tutorials which I subscribe to but I just never get around to actually doing it. I guess it’s time!
Thanks

@Dewdman42
Thanks that’s what I thought!
Now you see why I appreciate you and Garlu’s input and why I always appreciate a good drummer joke!😂
I come from more of a players perspective and honestly I’m not delusional enough to consider myself a composer and I’m still somewhat perplexed with the DAW/midi environment & paradigm.
I need to spend more time with this obviously.
Again a big Thanks to both you and Garlu 👍

Last edited:
I need to take a DP deep dive, i keep on meaning to study the GROOVE3 tutorials which I subscribe to but I just never get around to actually doing it. I guess it’s time!
Thanks
Here's another vote for the value of the Groove 3 DP tutorials.
DP8 Explained is project based and introduces and explains DP functions in the process of completing a project. I think this approach is essential for laying down a solid foundation of understanding. Once the foundation is in place it's easier and more productive to seek out specific information related to your needs.

DP8 Advanced is also useful but some features have been updated like pitch, time stretch, and beat detection. A suggestion is to move on to the DP 10 Editing MIDI Explained, DP10 Recording and Editing Audio Explained, and DP10 Mixing & Mastering Explained.

I have all of the Groove 3 DP tutorials and revisit specific topics when needed. Since you're a subscriber, what are you waiting for (a gentle prod)?

Regarding Chunks, check out this series from MOTU TV

There are webinars that mention Chunks.
April 24, 2020
Film Scoring 101
- Use Chunks and V-Racks.

June 16, 2020
Dialing in the Perfect Template
- Review Chunks, V-Racks and Templates.

July 16, 2020
Live in Concert with Mike McKnight
- Review Chunks, timecode, and start times.

August 11,2020
Composing and Orchestration with Guest Ron Jones
- Combine Chunks into a Song
- Using Chunks for album projects

November 13, 2020
Back to Basics /Adavanced Tips & Tricks
- Revisit Chunks start, locked markers, movie audio routing

November 19, 2020
Conforming tracks and projects
- Create or eliminate multiple Chunks in a project

May 16, 2021
Film scoring tips with hands-on scoring lesson
- Set Chunk start times, etc.

Last edited:
Here's another vote for the value of the Groove 3 DP tutorials.
DP8 Explained is project based and introduces and explains DP functions in the process of completing a project. I think this approach is essential for laying down a solid foundation of understanding. Once the foundation is in place it's easier and more productive to seek out specific information related to your needs.

DP8 Advanced is also useful but some features have been updated like pitch, time stretch, and beat detection. A suggestion is to move on to the DP 10 Editing MIDI Explained, DP10 Recording and Editing Audio Explained, and DP10 Mixing & Mastering Explained.

I have all of the Groove 3 DP tutorials and revisit specific topics when needed. Since you're a subscriber, what are you waiting for (a gentle prod)?

Regarding Chunks, check out this series from MOTU TV

Thanks So Much! 👍

There are webinars that mention Chunks. All Coming Soon!
April 24, 2020
Film Scoring 101
- Use Chunks and V-Racks.

June 16, 2020
Dialing in the Perfect Template
- Review Chunks, V-Racks and Templates.

July 16, 2020
Live in Concert with Mike McKnight
- Review Chunks, timecode, and start times.

August 11,2020
Composing and Orchestration with Guest Ron Jones
- Combine Chunks into a Song
- Using Chunks for album projects

November 13, 2020
Back to Basics /Adavanced Tips & Tricks
- Revisit Chunks start, locked markers, movie audio routing

November 19, 2020
Conforming tracks and projects
- Create or eliminate multiple Chunks in a project

May 16, 2021
Film scoring tips with hands-on scoring lesson
- Set Chunk start times, etc.
Thank You! All of you might prompting me to finally learn DP properly,I’ve always just dived in superficially without a thorough well rooted understanding (drummer jokes welcome) 😂

Well besides learning a bit more about DP troubleshooting I figured out Elysia Karakter was the guilty party responsible causing the project to hang when I was attempting to close it,it’s too bad I like this plugin. I guess there’s no harm in seeing if the VST is less problematic than the AU.
I think DP supporting various plug-in formats is an amazing advantage DP offers that’s generally overlooked. A DAW like Logic only basically supporting AU and not also supporting VST is to me unfortunate.
But hallelujah! I’m making a little progress! 😂………….to be continued.
Again a big THANKS to everyone’s great suggestions and input. 👍

Has anyone got any recordings of the webinars? Yeah I know, its not 100% kosher but MOTU literally refuse to post them (I have had many many back and forths with them, it's insanely frustrating) and they are all on at 2 or 3 in the AM in Australia. There's a few that would really help me out, and I'd really like to see the upcoming DP11 ones. Sincere thanks if anyone can assist.

My understanding is that some of them either weren’t that great or wandered off topic or whatever to the point they they would need to be edited in order to be worthy of motu posting them. I simply would not hold my breath this will ever happen. Perhaps new ones in the future will be better

The few webinars that I have watched were incredibly helpful. So yes it is frustrating to see an extensive listing of topics, most of which I would learn a great deal from, just sitting there.

Top Bottom