What's new

Now here...MOTU DP11

It's not as hard as that -- you can quickly disable any track in the V-Rack. Right at the bottom there's a little drag-down triangle. If you un-check "Enable" it's temporarily out:

Enable_disable DP v Rack track - 1.jpeg
Wow I completely missed that little triangle! Thanks so much!

Can individual instruments in a v-rack be disabled or is it enable/disable at the v-rack level only? In which case would it be nuts to have each individual instrument/kontakt instance in its own v-rack?
yes.

double click open the vrack in the mixing board. at the bottom of the channel strip you can click for a drop down menu that allows to enable/disable.

Most of the other vrack options are accessible from the mini menu for the mixing tab, as understandably the instruments there don't show up in the tracks list.

DP 11 looks nice thought about giving it another try. The last time I tried the dp10 demo back in 2015 it crashed every time I closed a project.

@marcus3 -- actually that hasn't changed that much. Sometimes I find on Windows if I forget to close the project and go straight to exit, the daw crashes leaving me on ocassion to have to rescue the session on reopening it.

So you might want to try and see if that still happens for you.

I'm not gonna lie. I am really digging DP11 and still plan to transition over to it, but it does crash A LOT MORE then LogicPro was for me. A LOT. I actually can't remember the last time LogicPro crashed on me. But DP has crashed so many times I have lost count. I feel like some of the crashes may have been related to when I was doing complicated things with routing tracks to v-racks in complicated ways, where it worked, then when I changed things around, possibly creating broken routing or something, it would then ultimately crash. I'm just speculating now, there have been other totally different scenarios...so I don't know, but I can definitely say DP11 crashes a lot.

The good news is that it seems to have a good auto-saving engine of some kind that I can get back to what I was working on before the crash.

And also I can say that at times I have worked on it for hours and hours without a hiccup. smooth as silk. So obviously there are certain situations that can trigger it to happen. DP11 has a lot going for it and I still plan to transition, hoping a first update will be less crashing, but I concur, it crashes quite a bit... You've been warned.

I also ran DP11 for a bit on Windows10 (running in bootcamp on my Mac 5,1 no less). Looked just like DP11 on MacOS....I didn't use it that long to experience whether its more or less stable...but I am happy that if I have to switch to Windows, looks like MOTU is on it.

Using DP on Windows since DP8 came out. DP11 is a LOT better than previous versions. Snappy, less prone to crashing, font scaling looks great. Ironically I've experienced more crashes on my Big Sur MacBook Pro. Still not perfect but at least I can work fast & without losing any data.

I hope there are DP Windows users with Ryzen Zen 3 CPUs out there to share their experiences. I really need a beefy CPU in my next DAW since I find my self working on projects with lots of synths and stuff than need processing.

I hope DP plays nicely with the 5950x or the Zen 4 equivalent.

PCs for many years reigned supreme on this side of the pond; unlike in the US, where Apple previoulsy was more dominant. Things have kind of levelled out here in the last few years, as the creative and IT fraternity have grasped onto the Macs as their platform of choice.

DP only over the last couple of years has been ported to PCs, and although it's less flaky than it was. DP tends to open up lots of files as it goes along, so over time your memory count starts decreasing. When it first opens up, I've noticed it grabs quite a bit of memory just to load in its plugins. I tend to use an app to release the memory from these apps. But still DP keeps grabbing memory as it plays through.

That's not great for Windows, as opening up lots of files leads to a crash fest down the line, when the OS thinks the program is behaving unresponsively, and eventually to prevent the OS from throwing a blue screen attempts to put the offending app into a Zombie state or worse of all throws a signal to close the app. DP then goes into a crash, and your only hope is to recover your work later when it reopens. Hopefully none of the files it's been holding open haven't been corrupted.

So I say it's a work in progress on Windows.
What FUD.

I have been a DP fan from its inception. When I did Walt Disney TV Series's allot it was the only software you could use. It was developed to midi SMPTE sync. We created a feature called "Markers" during the Goof Troop series. All the 7 -9 composers gave feedback and we perfected markers for hit points, and ability to lock. Then Streamers so you could cue in Orchestra on screen. Truly remarkable tech. Opcode had the best hit point calculator for your click (Tempo track) Opcode allowed us to get best tempo track to make stuff hit on downbeats and do all the calculations. The tempo was presented with choices so you could choose the best tempos and meters to falling music on down beats or quarter notes etc. AMAZING Tech.

I own Cubase, LogicPro, Studio one, Nuendo, DP all versions.

I find myself using DP for ALL TV and Film jobs i have done in my life so far (42 years in business) I use Cubase for commercials and Pop songs, rock, Studio sessions. I use Dorico now more for composing without piano and importing from DP to print and correct scores for "Dates" or recording session with both VST and Orchestra. If they keep improving Dorico, and add better midi implementation and easer midi interface, with features like a click track, or "Hit Track Click" and calculate tempos then it will be the top Film/Tv software ever made.

DP11 is a head of its time again, and needs some stability issues addressed. IT is awesome.
I cant boot it with VST3 selected, it crashes on launch. OR VST2 selected. So all you people who are getting DP11 First boot when you register it, you choose default format choose "AU" as default. Then when DP11 launches go to "Preferences" Select Plugins, then choose VST3 or vst2 and examine. if it passes it will check the box red for you. do this to all the needed VST3's that have functions you need. Its a work around until next rev.

DAW is best chosen for what you do.
Scoring a film or doing episodical TV, then MOTU Digital Performer hands down. When you have a real film or TV gig you have no time, no learning curve and need to focus on composing not drum loops and guitar sounds. DP gets you through your job! Your musical editor will send midi click track with cues, timings and markers. These import right into MOTU DP flawlessly. And you attach each Chunk or Cue to mp4 or video file so you see movie or film you are scoring with audio and streamers while you score with dialog and snd efx. Truly time tested and perfection. It works perfect and you will not get sued or fired because your computer cant sync, or your $270000 orchestra is sitting there while you try to sync to film, and get your hybrid VST orchestra and the real orchestra to sync up so Orchestra can see hits and streamers. I have seen so many go down in flames because they insist on using other DAW's that end up burning up $$$$$$$ because of its missing key features not discovered until "Date" or recording session. The majors $$$$ will not be lost, it will be subtracted from your budget and you will be bankrupt or fired.

Logic Pro is great for composing and doing finished SONGS or single cues you will be doing as a ghost writer or "One Offs" where a composer knows you and needs a cue or two written for off contract or CASH price. Works great. LogicPRO works perfect for Recording sessions like orchestration, or orchestrating and adding parts on peoples albums, or songs by the major hit artists. or doing live performances on stage with band and midi and VST, recorded tracks audio while live performing. Logic Pro will NEVER crash and great for live on stage and studio sessions. Logic pro is also a great composing tool for hit songs, and composing cues.

Cuebase is very versatile, it is for some the best hit song composing tool DAW out. It works great for studio sessions and novice DAW people as it has all these awesome harmony checkers, and AI to correct your scores and songs. I love it and use it to come up with ideas and mix songs. I do not use it on film, or TV as during a live session with orchestra, and you need to quickly edit a part, or make changes it is "To many clicks" to do stuff. Yes you can do it but its to time consuming and requires allot of knowledge and experience to use Cubase. It crashed on me the times i used it on dates, not a big deal but takes to long to boot again and sync up. Dont get me wrong for some that live only with one DAW and know Cubase its the best tool for them. I just have not seen it used much in Film/Tv sessions.

Studio one is great too. Not a fan as it fails to see my massive midi setups which i have in tower Roady cases with 4 MOTU midi express's XT using 4 banks of 8 midi instruments.
So my racks have 4 Emu E4xt Ultras, Two Roland Integra-7's. Yamaha Montage 88, Kurzweil PC2R, Two Roland Fantom Xr's, Yamaha Tx816, Yamaha Motif-Rack xs, All the emu Proteus lines, Midi Moog, Prophit VS rack, Roland TR808, Korg m1R, 2 Korg Wavestation SR,
Roland D550, Emu EIIIxpr, Bricasti reverb. List goes on. You get the gist. Allot of gear to produce a play along with live Orchestra on film and TV dates,. Need Sync to house SMPTE,
a DAW that sees all this stuff. Studio One did not see my stuff and so i only use it with vST stuff and it works great for composing hit songs via macs. Not a fan but some request it so I use it with aspirin.

Steinberg Dorico is my new favorite to Score Films or TV episodes with no piano or keyboard. IF you know how to compose on paper and old school this is your answer. Dorico makes you better! A better patient person and a orchestrator and composer. It is amazing once you learn the keystrokes to get to stuff fast. IT works awesome with VSL (Vienna Libraries) If you truly know how to compose music and can write music on paper then you are in heaven. Dorico will get you to the date with score, parts transposed, cue sheets and you look like a pro! You will need to buy a huge epson printer (I own one) it prints huge master conducting scores, and parts on film thick paper that is archival ink and will not erode for 150 years, and you can spill coffee on it and it will spill off. Just bring Color Sharpies to date so you can pass them out to players and yourself to make changes.
Its the goto solution for your next Steven Spielberg film! You will need it and make GOB's $$$$$$ of money by being your own copyist. One job will pay for your $12 k Epson 68" wide printer and the paper and the ink. Everyone at major studios says "WOW: these look great and the players love the bigger photo paper. (You will say "WOW" when you get the $26k for being your own copyist.

DP11 is your best bet IF you plan on having a career in Film and TV, if you are a song writer it works great too. You will never be unhappy. Its the best software out AND it supports older computers. MOTU is awesome to support older Mac Pro's 4.1 and 5.1 models. Other companies only work with newer Mac
Pros that cost as much as a home or high end Sports car. Just not doable for 99%.

I love DP11 interface and the EVENT LIST. it is the industry standard, the graphic editing on MIDI edit window is great in DP11 can do stuff fast. You see midi ch, event, controllers, all quarter nots are broken down to 480 ticks. Thus 240 ticks 8th not 120 16th, 360 doted 8th.
Its really nice.

I got a question for some genius out there.
How do you send a "Reset All Controllers" in DP11? it has all notes off but Controller #122 that resets all is where? I have been looking for it. It should be a button know? a hot button so you can reset all your external midi gear controller #7, and Expression #11, and Mod Wheel. I should not have to put it on my 150 track template on every track. Should be able to put in conductor track.

DP11 hates NVIDIA Web Driver Beware. Will not run use Mac driver built in.
Remember Boot DP11 into "AU" mode then add VST3's that pass. Your set.
Create Macros in DP11 to do stuff fast. Save Macros. At film date use macros, save money and make more!

Kind Regards
B

I have been a DP fan from its inception. When I did Walt Disney TV Series's allot it was the only software you could use. It was developed to midi SMPTE sync. We created a feature called "Markers" during the Goof Troop series. All the 7 -9 composers gave feedback and we perfected markers for hit points, and ability to lock. Then Streamers so you could cue in Orchestra on screen. Truly remarkable tech. Opcode had the best hit point calculator for your click (Tempo track) Opcode allowed us to get best tempo track to make stuff hit on downbeats and do all the calculations. The tempo was presented with choices so you could choose the best tempos and meters to falling music on down beats or quarter notes etc. AMAZING Tech.

I find myself using DP for ALL TV and Film jobs i have done in my life so far (42 years in business) I use Cubase for commercials and Pop songs, rock, Studio sessions. I use Dorico now more for composing without piano and importing from DP to print and correct scores for "Dates" or recording session with both VST and Orchestra. If they keep improving Dorico, and add better midi implementation and easer midi interface, with features like a click track, or "Hit Track Click" and calculate tempos then it will be the top Film/Tv software ever made.

DP11 is a head of its time again, and needs some stability issues addressed. IT is awesome.
I cant boot it with VST3 selected, it crashes on launch. OR VST2 selected. So all you people who are getting DP11 First boot when you register it, you choose default format choose "AU" as default. Then when DP11 launches go to "Preferences" Select Plugins, then choose VST3 or vst2 and examine. if it passes it will check the box red for you. do this to all the needed VST3's that have functions you need. Its a work around until next rev.

Scoring a film or doing episodical TV, then MOTU Digital Performer hands down. When you have a real film or TV gig you have no time, no learning curve and need to focus on composing not drum loops and guitar sounds. DP gets you through your job! Your musical editor will send midi click track with cues, timings and markers. These import right into MOTU DP flawlessly. And you attach each Chunk or Cue to mp4 or video file so you see movie or film you are scoring with audio and streamers while you score with dialog and snd efx. Truly time tested and perfection. It works perfect and you will not get sued or fired because your computer cant sync, or your $270000 orchestra is sitting there while you try to sync to film, and get your hybrid VST orchestra and the real orchestra to sync up so Orchestra can see hits and streamers. I have seen so many go down in flames because they insist on using other DAW's that end up burning up $$$$$$$ because of its missing key features not discovered until "Date" or recording session. The majors $$$$ will not be lost, it will be subtracted from your budget and you will be bankrupt or fired.

Logic Pro is great for composing and doing finished SONGS or single cues you will be doing as a ghost writer or "One Offs" where a composer knows you and needs a cue or two written for off contract or CASH price. Works great. LogicPRO works perfect for Recording sessions like orchestration, or orchestrating and adding parts on peoples albums, or songs by the major hit artists. or doing live performances on stage with band and midi and VST, recorded tracks audio while live performing. Logic Pro will NEVER crash and great for live on stage and studio sessions. Logic pro is also a great composing tool for hit songs, and composing cues.

Cuebase is very versatile, it is for some the best hit song composing tool DAW out. It works great for studio sessions and novice DAW people as it has all these awesome harmony checkers, and AI to correct your scores and songs. I love it and use it to come up with ideas and mix songs. I do not use it on film, or TV as during a live session with orchestra, and you need to quickly edit a part, or make changes it is "To many clicks" to do stuff. Yes you can do it but its to time consuming and requires allot of knowledge and experience to use Cubase. It crashed on me the times i used it on dates, not a big deal but takes to long to boot again and sync up. Dont get me wrong for some that live only with one DAW and know Cubase its the best tool for them. I just have not seen it used much in Film/Tv sessions.

Studio one is great too. Not a fan as it fails to see my massive midi setups which i have in tower Roady cases with 4 MOTU midi express's XT using 4 banks of 8 midi instruments.
So my racks have 4 Emu E4xt Ultras, Two Roland Integra-7's. Yamaha Montage 88, Kurzweil PC2R, Two Roland Fantom Xr's, Yamaha Tx816, Yamaha Motif-Rack xs, All the emu Proteus lines, Midi Moog, Prophit VS rack, Roland TR808, Korg m1R, 2 Korg Wavestation SR,
Roland D550, Emu EIIIxpr, Bricasti reverb. List goes on. You get the gist. Allot of gear to produce a play along with live Orchestra on film and TV dates,. Need Sync to house SMPTE,
a DAW that sees all this stuff. Studio One did not see my stuff and so i only use it with vST stuff and it works great for composing hit songs via macs. Not a fan but some request it so I use it with aspirin.

Steinberg Dorico is my new favorite to Score Films or TV episodes with no piano or keyboard. IF you know how to compose on paper and old school this is your answer. Dorico makes you better! A better patient person and a orchestrator and composer. It is amazing once you learn the keystrokes to get to stuff fast. IT works awesome with VSL (Vienna Libraries) If you truly know how to compose music and can write music on paper then you are in heaven. Dorico will get you to the date with score, parts transposed, cue sheets and you look like a pro! You will need to buy a huge epson printer (I own one) it prints huge master conducting scores, and parts on film thick paper that is archival ink and will not erode for 150 years, and you can spill coffee on it and it will spill off. Just bring Color Sharpies to date so you can pass them out to players and yourself to make changes.
Its the goto solution for your next Steven Spielberg film! You will need it and make GOB's $$$$$$ of money by being your own copyist. One job will pay for your $12 k Epson 68" wide printer and the paper and the ink. Everyone at major studios says "WOW: these look great and the players love the bigger photo paper. (You will say "WOW" when you get the $26k for being your own copyist.

DP11 is your best bet IF you plan on having a career in Film and TV, if you are a song writer it works great too. You will never be unhappy. Its the best software out AND it supports older computers. MOTU is awesome to support older Mac Pro's 4.1 and 5.1 models. Other companies only work with newer Mac
Pros that cost as much as a home or high end Sports car. Just not doable for 99%.

I love DP11 interface and the EVENT LIST. it is the industry standard, the graphic editing on MIDI edit window is great in DP11 can do stuff fast. You see midi ch, event, controllers, all quarter nots are broken down to 480 ticks. Thus 240 ticks 8th not 120 16th, 360 doted 8th.
Its really nice.

How do you send a "Reset All Controllers" in DP11? it has all notes off but Controller #122 that resets all is where? I have been looking for it. It should be a button know? a hot button so you can reset all your external midi gear controller #7, and Expression #11, and Mod Wheel. I should not have to put it on my 150 track template on every track. Should be able to put in conductor track.

Create Macros in DP11 to do stuff fast. Save Macros. At film date use macros, save money and make more!

Kind Regards
B
Quite a testimonial! I am also a big fan of DP and have been using it since BD (before digital).

Its really nice.

Kind Regards
B
Nice post, I migrated from Studio Vision to DP 2.54, with a few side tracks to try logic/protools and a few others. I hear you.

I haven't tried this, and will maybe next week, but could you build a console to do this and save it in DP clippings? Then maybe just map it to one button on an external controller for when you need it? Or add a track that fires that console to clippings as well?

That's a good question:

Most seem to do this at the front of the track using the event list, where you can specify the controller and its value, so you might be able to send a 122 cc value from there. Otherwise so far I´ve found no such option.

Its really nice.

Kind Regards
B
Thanks for sharing, that was a great read! :thumbsup: I'm ready to give DP another try when MOTU improves Windows performance and sort all issues, I sent a long report but never heard back.

Well I was also quite excited about DP11, especially with the new VST articulation system. But I haven't managed to find any in depth video about how to use the system. I know literally everything o_O about building your own maps in Cubase, and fell in love with Soundvariations in S1, but DP is always a little bit "in the dark" about many features, I think. Anybody know if there are any in depth videos about these things?

Top Bottom