What's new

NOVO Strings for $379 ... good deal?

Is NOVO a steal at $379 ?

• Yes, get it. It's worth even more than that.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Not really. Either it's not that great or there are better/cheaper competitors out there.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

tim727

This is still part of their Black Friday sale that lasts until midnight tonight. (FYI to those who don't know ... many Heavyocity products are as much as 50% as part of this ... but you better hurry cause you only have a few hours left!)

What do you guys think? If it were closer to the $250 range I probably would have pulled the plug already but as it's a bit higher than that I'm not sure. Would be curious to hear from people who own the library.

Edit: I've seen in some places that if you already own Heavyocity products that the regular non-sale price is actually $400 rather than $550. Haven't been able to get this confirmed though and it's not clear to me if that loyalty discount was for only a limited time after release or if it would still be valid now. If anyone could answer that question that would be fantastic. After all if I only stand to lose $30 by not getting it during the sale, that takes a lot of pressure off for the decision making process.

Last edited:

Quasar

If I had a lot of money I would perhaps think differently, but I think it's awfully expensive. On the other hand, the Novo Pack 01 Intimate Textures is wonderful, and much more reasonably priced, especially on sale. So I have IS, but not Novo, though the demos do look great.

But nothing is expensive if you have a lot of money, and everything is expensive if you don't. So it's all relative and subjective.

If I didn't know that IS was a sub-package of something else, I would have no idea that it wasn't anything other than a complete, so-called flagship edition of a product line.

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
Also depends on what you’re looking for, as Intimate Textures is more delicate, chamber style, while Novo uses quite a larger setting.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Wishing OP had posted more broadly re. Heavyocity. Purchased several over Promo and deadline is HERE !!
Struggling over Scoring Guitars ... since loaded up with OTS Guitars & Pluginguru Libs (MegaMagic Guitars/Cello).
Seems like Scoring Guitars still offers a very differ t 'slant' on these sounds ?? Anyone ?

Steve Lum

I suppose everybody will have their own opinion, and there are aspects of NOVO that would lead some to think of it as more oriented to cinematic vs orchestral uses. Personally I think the price is a steal. There is so much here to use. If you're into orchestration you will likely want additional strings to reach certain tonalities more easily than shoe-horning NOVO into those areas, but make no mistake - what it does, it does extremely well and like no other in my opinion.

Of everything I picked up during black Friday, this NOVO was the winner hands down, even after knowing hype I was delightfully surprised. Gonna take some time to wrap my head around it to use it to it's capacity, but that's a good thing. (At the risk of highjacking - please pardon - NOVO for $379 compared to Hollywood Choirs at $600... makes the latter seem a little ludicrous).

I hear you being tight on funds maybe but I think you won't ever regret the purchase. The sound design side is worth the price all by itself in my mind. Sorry to be a fanboy. Read reviews, watch vids, check gut... if you don't feel sour after that, go for it.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
I suppose everybody will have their own opinion, and there are aspects of NOVO that would lead some to think of it as more oriented to cinematic vs orchestral uses. Personally I think the price is a steal. There is so much here to use. If you're into orchestration you will likely want additional strings to reach certain tonalities more easily than shoe-horning NOVO into those areas, but make no mistake - what it does, it does extremely well and like no other in my opinion.

Of everything I picked up during black Friday, this NOVO was the winner hands down, even after knowing hype I was delightfully surprised. Gonna take some time to wrap my head around it to use it to it's capacity, but that's a good thing. (At the risk of highjacking - please pardon - NOVO for $379 compared to Hollywood Choirs at $600... makes the latter seem a little ludicrous).

I hear you being tight on funds maybe but I think you won't ever regret the purchase. The sound design side is worth the price all by itself in my mind. Sorry to be a fanboy. Read reviews, watch vids, check gut... if you don't feel sour after that, go for it.
Hmmm. Struggled by with Intimate Textures, Natural Forces, Vocalise, and maybe Scoring Guitars ......
Prolly shoulda gone for NOVO too ? :sleep:

heisenberg

To the original post, after the edit. If you want to get closer to the $250 range, you will have to wait till probably half way through 2018. If you cannot really part with the money but want that NOVO feeling get Intimate Textures and wait for NOVO to truly come on sale. Only you can decide on your spending limit and other needs. If you are into Heavyocity thing and not necessarily just strings, don't ignore Gravity or the Soundpacks based on Gravity. Those have been out for a while and have gone through the discounting process, particularly when they are available on one of their big sales.

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
Novo and Novo IT are both nice and worth it if you can use the sounds (check the Daniel James video for the first and the walkthrough for the second). Using arps and spiccatos you can get some really nice ostinatoes that are usable in both (thanks to the rr's) on top of the controlled textures it can make. Spitfire symphonic evolutions is beautiful sounding, but I actually prefer the control and customization you can get here. Keep in mind this time next year both will most likely be half off. Meaning it might be better to start with Intimate textures, get to know the engine, then grab Novo when it's $275. That is, if you can wait a year. ;)

OP
T

tim727

If I had a lot of money I would perhaps think differently, but I think it's awfully expensive. On the other hand, the Novo Pack 01 Intimate Textures is wonderful, and much more reasonably priced, especially on sale. So I have IS, but not Novo, though the demos do look great.

But nothing is expensive if you have a lot of money, and everything is expensive if you don't. So it's all relative and subjective.

If I didn't know that IS was a sub-package of something else, I would have no idea that it wasn't anything other than a complete, so-called flagship edition of a product line.
@Quasar I was looking at Intimate Textures as well. It sounds quite lovely from the demos. My only concern with that was that maybe a lot of tracks using that VI would suffer from "sameness" syndrome ... since some of those articulations sound pretty distinct. But perhaps that fear is unfounded? Getting IT instead of NOVO is definitely an option I'm considering. I probably should have indicated such in my original post. I'll update it.

Question for you about IT though ... do you find yourself using the main (non-manipulated) sounds more? Or the string designer? Do you find both to be very useful?

@Fleer The reality is that I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, which is part of what makes this a bit tough. I've been composing for three years but have been held back from exploring many styles due to a crappy PC. I recently just built a really high end custom PC so that I would have the freedom to branch out musically. So for Black Friday I've gone on a bit of a spree and bought tons of stuff, mostly in the realm of orchestral/synth/sound design as I'm very interested in epic/orchestral/hybrid. It's tough cause there is so much great stuff out there. I feel like a starving kid in a candy store.

@sostenuto Apologies, I can update the original post to more explicitly indicate that many items are on sale.

@Steve Lum Thankfully I'm not actually on a tight budget. That being said I've already dropped like $1600 on new libs for Black Friday, and also just recently built a $2600 custom music production computer ... so there's a part of me that is just having a bit of trouble letting myself spend more haha. I appreciate your feedback on NOVO though. I just picked up CSS last week so I'd say that covers me for the traditional strings side of things. If I purchase NOVO it won't be for trad strings ... but rather for the string designer functionality. It looks extremely intriguing ... but I'm just trying to figure out if it's $379 kind of intriguing :) Thanks again for your input though ... it's helpful.

Last edited:
OP
T

tim727

To the original post, after the edit. If you want to get closer to the $250 range, you will have to wait till probably half way through 2018. If you cannot really part with the money but want that NOVO feeling get Intimate Textures and wait for NOVO to truly come on sale. Only you can decide on your spending limit and other needs. If you are into Heavyocity thing and not necessarily just strings, don't ignore Gravity or the Soundpacks based on Gravity. Those have been out for a while and have gone through the discounting process, particularly when they are available on one of their big sales.
You make a lot of sense. I'm starting to think that I will very likely get either NOVO or IT before midnight. So I may very well follow your suggestion if I feel unwilling to go all in on NOVO yet.

By the way I picked up Gravity + Natural Forces a week ago. So far I'm actually rather blown away. When I started messing around with Gravity I actually just started smiling ... that's how impressed I was. I don't think a VI has ever done that to me before. The extent of my positive reaction to Gravity is largely what led me to then look at Heavyocity's other products in more detail. Hence the current NOVO dilemma :)

OP
T

tim727

Also ... general question to all of you who have Intimate Textures ... have you found its uses to be rather limited (despite enjoying the sound etc)? Or do you frequently find yourself including it your pieces?

Steve Lum

Wishing OP had posted more broadly re. Heavyocity. Purchased several over Promo and deadline is HERE !!
Struggling over Scoring Guitars ... since loaded up with OTS Guitars & Pluginguru Libs (MegaMagic Guitars/Cello).
Seems like Scoring Guitars still offers a very differ t 'slant' on these sounds ?? Anyone ?
Yeah, tonight with the window closing on Scoring Guitars for fifty bucks (even considering I own everything OTS has ever released [shakes fist at Greg]) in the end I thought to myself, even just the SG content is worth that much, not even thinking about the cool gravity engine and what can be done with it. So... dammit.. plunk more down on the counter top.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
@Quasar I was looking at Intimate Textures as well. It sounds quite lovely from the demos. My only concern with that was that maybe a lot of tracks using that VI would suffer from "sameness" syndrome ... since some of those articulations sound pretty distinct. But perhaps that fear is unfounded? Getting IT instead of NOVO is definitely an option I'm considering. I probably should have indicated such in my original post. I'll update it.

Question for you about IT though ... do you find yourself using the main (non-manipulated) sounds more? Or the string designer? Do you find both to be very useful?

@Fleer The reality is that I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, which is part of what makes this a bit tough. I've been composing for three years but have been held back from exploring many styles due to a crappy PC. I recently just built a really high end custom PC so that I would have the freedom to branch out musically. So for Black Friday I've gone on a bit of a spree and bought tons of stuff, mostly in the realm of orchestral/synth/sound design as I'm very interested in epic/orchestral/hybrid. It's tough cause there is so much great stuff out there. I feel like a starving kid in a candy store.

@sostenuto Apologies, I can update the original post to more explicitly indicate that many items are on sale.

@Steve Lum Thankfully I'm not actually on a tight budget. That being said I've already dropped like $1600 on new libs for Black Friday, and also just recently built a $2600 custom music production computer ... so there's a part of me that is just having a bit of trouble letting myself spend more haha. I appreciate your feedback on NOVO though. I just picked up CSS last week so I'd say that covers me for the traditional strings side of things. If I purchase NOVO it won't be for trad strings ... but rather for the string designer functionality. It looks extremely intriguing ... but I'm just trying to figure out if it's $379 kind of intriguing :) Thanks again for your input though ... it's helpful.
Apologies and THX for tolerating my last-minute plea ... using your Thread ! :thumbsup:
@ Steve Lum really helped by mentioning his similar commitment to OTS while still leaning toward HO_Scoring Guitars.

Last edited:
OP
T

tim727

So I've gone back and reviewed some of the tutorials and walkthroughs for both NOVO and Intimate Textures (IT) once again. I'm starting to lean toward IT, though not 100% sure yet.

The way I see it, here are the pros and cons for each:

NOVO Pros:

(1) Contains a bunch of processed pads that can be used in the string designer ... whereas in IT only the samples used from the regular sections in the library can be used in said designer.
(2) Has pizzicato.
(3) Has basses, whereas IT only has violin, viola, cello.

NOVO Cons:

(1) It's $380, compared to only $120 for IT.
(2) It doesn't include the intimate, interesting string articulations in IT, which do genuinely seem like they could be useful and sound quite unique and lovely to my ears.

IT Pros:

(1) Contains a bunch of cool string articulations that I could see using in certain kinds of pieces. (These seem like they could be super useful to create tension in particular. See this official demo: )
(2) Would hopefully be able to pair nicely with CSS and give it some added texture.
(3) Costs only $120 as compared to NOVOs $380 ... despite having the same fully fledged functionality (just less content to draw upon within the string designer).

IT Cons:

(1) Lacks the additional processed pads that NOVO has for the string designer.
(2) Lacks pizzicato.
(3) Lacks basses ... which is unfortunate because they are useful for creating drama.
(4) This is not necessarily a con per se but certainly a difference ... most or all of the more traditional articulations in IT are sul pont ... so that carries with it a different sound than the "non sul pont" analogs of those articulations which would be found in NOVO. This could be both good and bad honestly, depending on what kind of sound I want for a certain context.

All in all when I look at IT I see a library that really seems to have great value, regardless of any comparison to NOVO. When I look at NOVO I see a library that may also have great value, but doesn't seem to give me all that much more over it's much cheaper cousin. I need to decide if having those additional pads + pizzicato + basses is worth the $260 price difference.

Also I'm aware that NOVO has a loop designer. Personally, I do not use loops so the presence of that feature is inconsequential to me.

Edit: Since the presence of the processed pads in NOVO is one of the biggest pluses (in my opinion) that that lib offers over IT, I'm wondering if any NOVO owners can specifically comment on the quality of those processed pads ... and how much they use those sound sources in the string designer?

OP
T

tim727

I ended up going with Intimate Textures. Since it was only $120, the risk wasn't very high. Plus, I think it's unlikely that I will literally dislike it or never find use for it ... so I figured there was a pretty low chance of me regretting the decision. If I do end up loving it ... I may spring for NOVO once it goes back to 50% off some time next year as others have suggested. Thanks to everyone for your input!

leon chevalier

Piano roll musician
I ended up going with Intimate Textures. Since it was only $120, the risk wasn't very high. Plus, I think it's unlikely that I will literally dislike it or never find use for it ... so I figured there was a pretty low chance of me regretting the decision. If I do end up loving it ... I may spring for NOVO once it goes back to 50% off some time next year as others have suggested. Thanks to everyone for your input!
Heavyocity runs 50% sale more than once a year ;)

OP
T

tim727

Just downloaded and messed around with it for a bit. First impression is that the sound is really stunning and that it was well worth the money for $120. The ability to so easily morph and evolve the sound on the fly is really powerful. If I find myself actually using this often in compositions I think the purchase of NOVO in the future is probably a pretty safe bet.

Quasar

I'm just a home hobbyist and a dabbler, so unconcerned with sameness syndromes, "industry standards" or any of that. To me, instruments are just instruments (whether virtual or physical) and then we choose, compositionally and musically, what to do with them.

For me, the texture designer in IS is the heart of what makes it so cool. Its greatest strength is in its ability to generate movement and depth in conjunction with more standard orchestral strings. I doubt you'll regret your choice, and you can always buy the full NOVO later. As already mentioned, Heavyocity has recurrent sales, and NOVO may be discounted more heavily in the future when it's not as new.

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
Also, compare the articulations list docs of both libraries on their respective web pages (including detailed information on the instruments used). This will give you more perspective on whether to add Novo or not.

Top Bottom