What's new

Nov 2018: Fluffy Audio's Dominus down to 229!! (60%)

Garry

@TigerTheFrog is maintaining a great Black Friday list here (https://vi-control.net/community/threads/an-alphabetical-list-of-november-deals-updating.76730/), but wanted to highlight this in it's own thread, given there's been so much focus on choirs this year.

For me, this represents a personal triumph of delayed gratification!! I had looked at Dominus and was absolutely blown away by the videos - truly breathtaking sound. But around that time, Spitfire had announced they were working on a library with Eric Whitacre. One of my favorite developers with one of my favorite composers - I HAD to wait to see what they would come up with. So, I waited... and waited... and...

Well, for me at least, it wasn't what I was hoping for. The lack of phrase-builder was a deal breaker for me, and the use of EVOs wasn't a sufficient replacement. So, now just to wait until Black Friday to see what the guys at Fluffy Audio would do. Well, a 60% sale is definitely my threshold, so happy birthday me!

In the intervening wait, I picked up Genesis (ok, so not so great at delayed gratification after all!), which has to be one of my favorite libraries I own. The innovations in that library are remarkable, and is the type of thing I was hoping would come out of the Spitfire/Whitacre collaboration. Oh, how I wanted to play Lux Aurumque under my own fingers. But, it wasn't to be. For some, it still appears to have been worth the wait and met what they wanted from the library, and I'm happy for them. But for me, with my imminent download of Dominus, I can't wait to be playing Latin phrases with Dominus, with the Genesis library adding yet more depth! Great outcome from my perspective! Can't wait to hear what the imminent Dominus 2 will sound like, but I don't think I can maintain delayed gratification for that long again!! :)

Last edited:
@TigerTheFrog is maintaining a great Black Friday list here (https://vi-control.net/community/threads/an-alphabetical-list-of-november-deals-updating.76730/), but wanted to highlight this in it's own thread, given there's been so much focus on choirs this year.

For me, this represents a personal triumph of delayed gratification!! I had looked at Dominus and was absolutely blown away by the videos - truly breathtaking sound. But around that time, Spitfire had announced they were working on a library with Eric Whitacre. One of my favorite developers with one of my favorite composers - I HAD to wait to see what they would come up with. So, I waited... and waited... and...

Well, for me at least, it wasn't what I was hoping for. The lack of phrase-builder was a deal breaker for me, and the use of EVOs wasn't a sufficient replacement. So, now just to wait until Black Friday to see what the guys at Fluffy Audio would do. Well, a 60% sale is definitely my threshold, so happy birthday me!

In the intervening wait, I picked up Genesis (ok, so not so great at delayed gratification after all!), which has to be one of my favorite libraries I own. The innovations in that library are remarkable, and is the type of thing I was hoping would come out of the Spitfire/Whitacre collaboration. Oh, how I wanted to play Lux Aurumque under my own fingers. But, it wasn't to be. For some, it still appears to have been worth the wait and met what they wanted from the library, and I'm happy for them. But for me, with my imminent download of Dominus, I can't wait to be playing Latin phrases with Dominus, with the Genesis library adding yet more depth! Great outcome from my perspective! Can't wait to hear what the imminent Dominus 2 will sound like, but I don't think I can maintain delayed gratification for that long again!! :)
You'll find that Dominus layers beautifully with Genesis and EWC. Well worth having even you aleady have a go-to choral lib. When I layer, Dominus is usually at the top of the pile.

Yes a brilliant library and have also had my eye on. Long time users - thoughts? Buyer's remorse? (seems I have this on almost half of everything I buy.)

Yes a brilliant library and have also had my eye on. Long time users - thoughts? Buyer's remorse? (seems I have this on almost half of everything I buy.)
There are maybe 3 VIs that have given me zero buyer's remorse, this is one. Does what it claims and does it well. There are not gobs of articulations and gigabytes of heavily processed effects, just a gorgeous sounding legato choir with a word builder that covers more than enough textural ground to avoid a limited oohahh syndrome. The limitations are defined by what you hear in the demos...if that's what you like then go for it without fear.

Lovely recommendation. Are you willing to share the other libraries you've been completely satisfied with, @Bill the Lesser ?
Tundra for sure, at least for the orchestral content. #3 is harder to fill since there are so many VIs that are useful enough to avoid more than small remorse. Today I'll say Hollywood Orchestra for it's workhorse depth and versatility that fills in the opposite side of the spectrum it shares with Tundra.

PS the Tundra strings mix well with subtle choir tracks, which is no easy trick!

There are maybe 3 VIs that have given me zero buyer's remorse, this is one. Does what it claims and does it well. There are not gobs of articulations and gigabytes of heavily processed effects, just a gorgeous sounding legato choir with a word builder that covers more than enough textural ground to avoid a limited oohahh syndrome. The limitations are defined by what you hear in the demos...if that's what you like then go for it without fear.

Thanks for the recommendation.

For me, zero buyer's remorse: Albion One, Albion 5, British Drama Toolkit, Genesis, Audio Modeling Cello/Violin, and hopefully now Dominus: 2/11 files left to download...

For me, zero buyer's remorse: Albion One, Albion 5, British Drama Toolkit, Genesis, Audio Modeling Cello/Violin, and hopefully now Dominus: 2/11 files left to download...
For your initial look-see, slide the "release-legato" all the way to the left, and "word quantize" to "off." And use the "real notes" keyboard layout. Those are my preferences for live playing, at which Dominus shines like no other choir. The built in reverb works well for this VI, although it also sounds great with almost zero reverb. I often use the Cubase "Reverence" reverb which is IR based and a great match for choirs in general (but Spaces is still better if you have it).

Oh, wow, just WOW!!!!! This thing is absolutely incredible!!! My best purchase for a long time! The emotion that you can generate from this is astounding, and it is so simple to get amazing results straight out of the box. Just, wow!!

Have to go... can't get enough of this!

Congratulations @paoling - this library is an incredible achievement. Thank you for making it available to us.

Sounds fricking amazing in the demos. I wish I knew this existed before I purchased other ones that I don't use often.

Quick one - do these have short/punchy articulations? At work so don't have the chance to watch any of the reviews or screencasts.

Sounds fricking amazing in the demos. I wish I knew this existed before I purchased other ones that I don't use often.

Quick one - do these have short/punchy articulations? At work so don't have the chance to watch any of the reviews or screencasts.

No short articulations. Which I can understand, because they wouldn't really fit into the whole "connected syllables" paradigm that makes the longs work so magically here. (Yeah, I played with this library a bit yesterday, and am gobsmacked by how well it does at what it does. I'm going to want to add a choir to everything I write from now on, hehe.)

No short articulations. Which I can understand, because they wouldn't really fit into the whole "connected syllables" paradigm that makes the longs work so magically here. (Yeah, I played with this library a bit yesterday, and am gobsmacked by how well it does at what it does. I'm going to want to add a choir to everything I write from now on, hehe.)

I absolutely hate this. I was going to be spending about 200 dollars this year. Now, I'm going to be spending around 1,200, with this, and with CSB etc etc etc

Thanks for your feedback If you have any tracks or mess-around audio you'd be comfortable sharing, I'd love to hear it (not for critique purposes, I just want to keep hearing more from this library)

No short arts - no issue here as it does what it does quite well. ;) The sale price makes it a good value with likely years of use.

How's the dynamic range in Dominus? Does it get loud? Demos are mostly pp to mf so I can't really tell.

I reckon Fluffy is releasing an update, will it go beyond "angelic"?

Top Bottom