What's new

Notion iOS update is excellent

One of the features of StaffPad that I really like and make use of is the lasso tool for "quick and dirty" transposition of a group of notes. Considering how often I have to correct the positioning of notes, it comes in very handy. It appears that, unlike Staffpad, Notion requires the pop-up transposition menu, and selection of interval, etc.
Very time-consuming compared to the simplicity of dragging a series of notes in parallel, which is what we can do in StaffPad.
Am I correct about this distinction?

One of the features of StaffPad that I really like and make use of is the lasso tool for "quick and dirty" transposition of a group of notes. Considering how often I have to correct the positioning of notes, it comes in very handy. It appears that, unlike Staffpad, Notion requires the pop-up transposition menu, and selection of interval, etc.
Very time-consuming compared to the simplicity of dragging a series of notes in parallel, which is what we can do in StaffPad.
Am I correct about this distinction?
no, Notion Mobile has that too.

no, Notion Mobile has that too.
Please elaborate. I have looked through the user guide, and I cannot find an adequate explanation. When I use the lasso tool to select a group of notes, and then I place the pencil on one of the notes to drag the group up or down, nothing happens. The only thing I'm able to do is obtain the pop-up dialogue which requests a manual interval selection from a drop-down menu. Is there a particular setting that activates the ability to simply drag notes up or down manually? Thanks

Please elaborate. I have looked through the user guide, and I cannot find an adequate explanation. When I use the lasso tool to select a group of notes, and then I place the pencil on one of the notes to drag the group up or down, nothing happens. The only thing I'm able to do is obtain the pop-up dialogue which requests a manual interval selection from a drop-down menu. Is there a particular setting that activates the ability to simply drag notes up or down manually? Thanks
not activating anything specifically, just lassoing a bundle of adjacent notes and dragging them, works on android and windows. All accidentals are lost in that operation, though.

not activating anything specifically, just lassoing a bundle of adjacent notes and dragging them, works on android and windows. All accidentals are lost in that operation, though.
Hmm.... When I use the Apple pencil 2 to lasso a group of notes, I am unable to drag them anywhere. As soon as the lasso is activated, by drawing a circle around a group of notes, a dialogue pops up, as mentioned above. The video in the previous post, apparently shows the selection tool being used either in conjunction with a keyboard or with a finger.
Am I incorrect here?

Okay, thank you everyone who responded here. It seems as if the handwriting function together with the Apple pencil 2 (or any stylus?) does not function in Notion Mobile the way it does in StaffPad.

Just saying....the Notion iOS update gives StaffPad input a good run for the money, and might actually work better for handwriting recognition. Don't know if they fixed any of that 'under the hood', but the whole App is really excellent.

I haven't touched it for a couple of years, but had to check out the free update. Might have to get back into it for some sketching or noodling around.

Many more improvements and changes. Support for more than just iOS, too.

Well done PreSonus!
yuppi

i could not stop criticizing the lack of updates

however i don´t buy the handwriting myth aynmore

i have notion 6 desktop, hope they bring this to 2023

have you tried dragging with the fingers once the lasso is highlighted?
I've tried just about everything. It seems once something is selected with the stylus, I have to first select the selection tool then use my fingers to move the selected items. I find that my fingers are too large to see where I'm dragging things, unless I enlarge the score significantly, and then that's just too many steps compared to the ease of using Staffpad, especially as I then need to select the pencil tool once again.
Notion Mobile is a good product, but it's not ideal in terms of its handwriting recognition for my purposes.

There seems to be a workaround on windows. If handwriting is turned off in options then it works if the selection tool is selected. But handwriting also still works if the pen tool is selected.

nothings ever certain!
Apparently PreSonus will be updating Notion Desktop eventually according to Chris Swaffer in several interviews recently. As well as adding more and more of Notion & Notion Mobile to Studio One. Im really liking Notion Mobile these days, especially after the recent Staffpad update. I've been unputing my score into Notion Mobile on my Surface Pro and then sending to Studio One for VSTi playback. With the score page in Studio One i can also tweak the score right there.

Apparently PreSonus will be updating Notion Desktop eventually according to Chris Swaffer in several interviews recently. As well as adding more and more of Notion & Notion Mobile to Studio One. Im really liking Notion Mobile these days, especially after the recent Staffpad update. I've been unputing my score into Notion Mobile on my Surface Pro and then sending to Studio One for VSTi playback. With the score page in Studio One i can also tweak the score right there.
Are you using the full version? Rather than the libraries, does the added tools are enough or still short and better Notion Desktop (not Mobile Win Desktop)?

I've waited to "upgrade" mobile because of what you are saying, I mean, I didn't know, thanks! but if they took their time to add more tab functionality in latest S1 release, means they should be working on Notion versions too.

I never liked GuitarPro, and on guitar which is my instrument, TABs + Chords + Staff isdibest for me. Time to wait.

Are you using the full version? Rather than the libraries, does the added tools are enough or still short and better Notion Desktop (not Mobile Win Desktop)?

I've waited to "upgrade" mobile because of what you are saying, I mean, I didn't know, thanks! but if they took their time to add more tab functionality in latest S1 release, means they should be working on Notion versions too.

I never liked GuitarPro, and on guitar which is my instrument, TABs + Chords + Staff isdibest for me. Time to wait.
Mobile still has a bit of catching up to do as far as Notion 6 features but its getting there. I use Notion Mobile to create guitar lessons for my students, it is really good at that as far as notation, TAB & chords go - really good and the guitar samples are outstanding. I'm a Studio One + member so i have all the features. I use the pen input quite a bit as well as the midi input when im working on larger pieces. The guitar fretboard is great for guitar stuff. Im a beta user so the released version may not be as complete, but i think its pretty great.

Only just realised how easy the transfer is from notion mobile to and from S1 (or any other device with notion) Might actually make switching between DAW and notation (on a tablet or not) a breeze.
Going to investigate working that way a bit more.

Looking forward to more developments in this area.

Because I frequently need to cut/copy/paste anywhere from a single note to a dozen or more measures from section to section, and part to part, is there a lasso tool function in Notion Mobile that is similar to what StaffPad offers? When I last checked, whatever I tried to do in a lasso-type selection mode seemed inconsistent and unreliable.
FWIW, I did purchase Notion Mobile, the version for $20 or so I think.
Thanks.

Because I frequently need to cut/copy/paste anywhere from a single note to a dozen or more measures from section to section, and part to part, is there a lasso tool function in Notion Mobile that is similar to what StaffPad offers? When I last checked, whatever I tried to do in a lasso-type selection mode seemed inconsistent and unreliable.
FWIW, I did purchase Notion Mobile, the version for $20 or so I think.
Thanks.
i believe that is on the way

Top Bottom