What's new

Notes hanging in strings using Logic and VEPro

MarcusMaximus

A few months ago I posted about a similar issue here. Now I am getting frequent hanging notes in the current project in the strings only (using EWHO), particularly Violins 1 and 2. What happens is as soon as I press play, a note that is not part of the piece gets triggered somehow and keeps playing until I either stop the audio engine on that instance in VEPro, or click 'stop all voices' in Play. Sometimes the note continues playing even while the sequencer is stopped. I am using Articulation Sets in Logic and although the strings are set up exactly the same way as the other instruments in this regard, the hanging is not happening in any other instrument. The problem I posted about in that other thread was resolved as I described there but then a while later this similar one started happening. It's in the same project btw. The notes that hang are usually the same but don't seem to be related to any keyswitch or round robin reset etc.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
Usually the Note hanging is caused by lost MIDI connection (in your case it could be a VEP network interruption). Try to track the problem by loading the VEP Server (small test) into your Mac without using a network.

Last edited:
Ok I'll try that, although all the problem instruments' samples are on the slave PC's drive. Plus the hanging is quite random/intermittent so I might be waiting a while for it to manifest there.

My feeling is that the issue is specifically to do with this project somehow and not a general connectivity problem but of course I might be wrong.

The other thing is that all the other instruments play fine when the hanging happens - I would have thought that a network interruption would affect everything going on over the network at the same time, not just one instrument? Thanks.

I would have thought that a network interruption would affect everything going on over the network at the same time, not just one instrument? Thanks.
This makes sense. Please try to detect which 3rd party VI is hanging.
Some 3rd party instruments (Kontakt for example) use a lot of KSP programming which is MIDI related. In many cases the KSP generates new notes needed for the internal engine, or the code process the incoming Note On/Off messages. If the code is not well done then Note hanging is possible in some cases.

I use Play pretty much exclusively in this project. It is based on an orchestral template which is all set up to work in tandem with VEPro on the slave computer, which obviously hosts the instruments. All the other orchestral instruments are also in Play, given I am using Hollywood Orchestra. Yet it is only Violins 1 and 2 which are hanging. I am using similar Articulation Sets in Logic for all the orchestral sections and am also using a script called Event Chaser which was developed by a member here to manage applying CC's to all articulations/channels within the same instrument. So the problem is that it is not a particular VI but a couple of instances of the VI which is used across the board that are giving trouble.

am also using a script called Event Chaser which was developed by a member here to manage applying CC's to all articulations/channels within the same instrument.
This is! You had to start the topic with that.

I'm on this wave now developing a few eCloners (a Logic Scripter, Kontakt 64 KSP and maybe Logic Enviro Tool) for the AG X-DAW and VEP Multi Instance users who need to clone CC, Pitch Bend or After Touch using AU2, AU3 in combination with regular Logic Articulation Sets.
To be said the MIDI channel switching eCloning is a very precise work so the developer must have a huge knowledge to make all working perfectly. If not, then the 1st weird problem is the Note hanging.

BTW: To be correct, currently AG Articulation Scripter (Text Points & Art IDs) supports CC cloning for AU2 only (all sorts of 3rd party VIs). AG VEP Multi Instance supports AU2 & AU3 CC cloning but it is only for Kontakt. The upcoming AG eCloners will allow the users to create a VEP Combo instance using AG VEP Multi AU3 engine (Kontakts) + any 3rd party VI such as EW Play, SWAM etc.

Last edited:
Well E. Chaser has worked fine before in another big project and again, the hanging only happens in two out of multiple instruments, all of which are using E. Chaser. However the violins are using a lot of different articulations so that might be a factor. I used to use SkiSwitcher for CC Cloning but of course that has been discontinued for a while now.

What I can offer is X-DAW which comes with an advanced Articulation Scripter which can clone CCs via Text points automation or Art ID switching. No Note hanging is guaranteed. X-DAW is running a 30% OFF which will end after 10 hours about.

I’ll check that out thanks.

Edit: Just had a look. Seems that X-DAW has a lot more than I need, which is a simple CC cloner as I’m happy enough with my Articulation Sets as they stand. I think I’ll experiment a bit more to try and find out if Event Chaser really is the culprit here before I adopt a whole new system.

I’d be interested to hear if there’s anyone else out there who uses E. Chaser and whether they have experienced any problems with it, especially note hanging.

Last edited:
copy that.. I'll take a look at EventChaser. I haven't looked at that script in a long time, it was superseded by Channelizer, so will take me a minute to see what its doing, But what else can you tell me about your project, there is no modification of any kind in the environment right?

Please note, questions and potential issues regarding EventChaser, should be handled on the LogicPro forum dedicated thread if possible:

That being said, Just reviewing this script...i don't see any reason why it could ever cause notes to hang. It must be something else related to routing in your project.

Yes I think there are likely to be other factors in the project that might be causing this, apart from Event Chaser which as I say I have used before without issue. One is I have EzPlayer on a track which could be contributing something. I'll check out that link, having said that I didn't intend this thread to be about Event Chaser.

ezplayer routes midi over IAC and that is most likely causing the problem somehow. I'll send you some more info on PM.

I just want to say here that Dewdman has offered me extensive help via PM’s. We’re still troubleshooting but I really want to acknowledge his generosity and his expertise.

Thanks as well to A.G. for his help earlier in the thread.

Top Bottom