What's new

[noob question] Do I need an audio interface? What should I be looking at?

I have no discrete soundcard, just the onboard mobo one. Its good for onboards, but not amazing
I guess I should ask if it is a desktop or a laptop. Usually the desktop ones are fine, but the laptop ones are only okay. Is it working for you now is really the question.

I guess I should ask if it is a desktop or a laptop. Usually the desktop ones are fine, but the laptop ones are only okay. Is it working for you now is really the question.
Desktop, decent world quality boats too.

TBH, main reason I was looking is:

1. Eliminate buzz/hum/hiss of JBL LSR305 on idle (may or may not fix this issue)

2. Control headphones/monitors volume separately

One if the big reasons I was looking at KA6 was the MIDI USB in, but not sure how important that is.
Do you have any old midi instruments lying about? If not, then not important at all that the audio interface handle midi in and out. If you have an old synth you want to bring into your system, then it will be useful.

To add my late opinion, and without wanting to start the fight up again -- the ADC's on pretty much any modern piece of gear are going to be very useable. Nothing's going to sound like a wet fart. (Within reason; don't buy https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-Control-UCA202-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_10?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1544986529&sr=1-10&keywords=behringer+audio+interface (this).)

One of those TV home crafts guys -- Norm Abrams, maybe? -- once said that the thing you want to do when you start out is to buy pretty cheap tools, and if/when you use it enough that it needs replacing, you'll know enough to make a good judgment about what to buy next. I think the same thing applies to audio gear -- buy something cheap that gets reasonably good reviews (which is going to be most of them), and decide for yourself when you need something fancier. (But even then, you can also get gains through other means -- e.g., by using a cheap preamp before the interface when recording from microphones, rather than relying on the preamps in the box.)

Caveat: As @JohnG says, it all depends what you want to do. Punk rock or underground house music has different requirements than, say, recording Joshua Bell. I'm much closer to the former camp in my goals, aesthetic, and working processes -- any interest in virtual orchestral sounds notwithstanding. If you're, e.g., planning to make a living as a media composer, a bigger initial investment might be warranted.

Desktop, decent world quality boats too.

TBH, main reason I was looking is:

1. Eliminate buzz/hum/hiss of JBL LSR305 on idle (may or may not fix this issue)

2. Control headphones/monitors volume separately
The buzz/hum may be related to what is around the speakers. One of mine makes a lot of noises, but it is near to the wifi router. Unfortunately, without redoing the whole room, I'm kind of stuck with it. The other one doesn't make any noise other than what it should make.

Being able to turn off the speakers and just use headphones is a good reason to get an audio interface. I do that a lot at night.

Do you have any old midi instruments lying about? If not, then not important at all that the audio interface handle midi in and out. If you have an old synth you want to bring into your system, then it will be useful.
Nope, only one controller and it's new & usb

The buzz/hum may be related to what is around the speakers. One of mine makes a lot of noises, but it is near to the wifi router. Unfortunately, without redoing the whole room, I'm kind of stuck with it. The other one doesn't make any noise other than what it should make.
I had a problem of this sort when on of my speakers was too close to the computer. I couldn't get any shielding to work so I had to move the speaker to a slightly less ideal position.

Being able to turn off the speakers and just use headphones is a good reason to get an audio interface. I do that a lot at night.
I have a hunch it's more due to the built-in amplifiers on the speakers, but there's varying levels of noticeability during different applications. as far as the turning one off in the other on I feel like I could do that manually, but it's still be convenient with an interface

I had a problem of this sort when on of my speakers was too close to the computer. I couldn't get any shielding to work so I had to move the speaker to a slightly less ideal position.
They are close to the PC, so you all may be on to something

Any other/final thoughts on Audient ID14, Steinberg UR22 MKII, and the Komplete Audio 6?

Thinking about picking one up today before a sale ends

Never buy anything below Goliath 32.

Lol, what matters is the number of in/out mostly, and the form factor (desktop / rack-type).

All modern interfaces have more than decent converters and drivers. The latency will just vary slightly and the headroom will be more than enough for VI work.
Besides you were able to write very good music without interface, right?

I have a good old MOTU 828mk2 firewire that I bought 15 years ago I guess (used it on mac & pc easily).

And a Scarlett 2i2 mk1 that’s lightweight and does the job on the road (Focusrite plugin collective is to consider : you get nice free/discounted 3rd party plugins every month).

And a Yamaha THR10 which is a small amp with USB interface. Love that gear too to record guitars when I’m too lazy mic’ing an amp.

I’m thinking later of switching to something with extended features (like UAD) but no rush at all.

Save your money on good headphone or monitor.

Still leaning towards KA6 or Steinberg UR22 MKII. At this price point may not be much difference. May just pick one tonight. If anyone thinks one is lower latency or is more suited to soundtrack style music, would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Probably a hand of inches with these choices though.

Still leaning towards KA6 or Steinberg UR22 MKII. At this price point may not be much difference. May just pick one tonight. If anyone thinks one is lower latency or is more suited to soundtrack style music, would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Probably a hand of inches with these choices though.
At this point choose the one that you think you'd prefer to look at every day.

Definitely KA6. I just don't know if Steinberg drivers are any better. Also I've heard a few stories of audio distortion with the Komplete audio those seem to be few and far between. From what I'm looking at there's about a $20 difference either way with the Komplete audio being slightly more expensive. So you're probably right, it probably ultimately doesn't matter

Definitely KA6. I just don't know if Steinberg drivers are any better. Also I've heard a few stories of audio distortion with the Komplete audio those seem to be few and far between. From what I'm looking at there's about a $20 difference either way with the Komplete audio being slightly more expensive. So you're probably right, it probably ultimately doesn't matter
The differences will be subtle. I just swapped out my audio interfaces to go back to the Scarlett 2i4 because I like the controls better. But the sound of the system is now slightly different, whether better or worse I don't know. It sounds as though I applied a slightly different EQ to the sound. I didn't notice the difference when I changed to the other one a couple of years ago (I changed because at the time I needed a simple way to route iPad audio into my DAW but I also didn't have the subwoofer at the time), so I don't know if the two interfaces affect the subwoofer in different ways or if my ears have just developed better sensitivity and more familiarity with the sound of my gear. Neither of my audio interfaces is expensive, though I have an expensive one in my acoustically not very satisfying office. Some day I'll bring that home and see if it makes any real difference.

The differences will be subtle. I just swapped out my audio interfaces to go back to the Scarlett 2i4 because I like the controls better. But the sound of the system is now slightly different, whether better or worse I don't know. It sounds as though I applied a slightly different EQ to the sound. I didn't notice the difference when I changed to the other one a couple of years ago (I changed because at the time I needed a simple way to route iPad audio into my DAW but I also didn't have the subwoofer at the time), so I don't know if the two interfaces affect the subwoofer in different ways or if my ears have just developed better sensitivity and more familiarity with the sound of my gear. Neither of my audio interfaces is expensive, though I have an expensive one in my acoustically not very satisfying office. Some day I'll bring that home and see if it makes any real difference.
well I'm gonna go with the Steinberg. It's 50$ cheaper, I've heard good things about their drivers and support, and better overall reviews than the KA6. the KA6 might be better if I needed pres/inputs, but I really don't so... I *think* the latency is comparable between the two. I really do like that big knob on the KA6 though.

Also the Steinberg supports higher sample rate, though I have my doubts that it's even noticeable.

well I'm gonna go with the Steinberg. It's 50$ cheaper, I've heard good things about their drivers and support, and better overall reviews than the KA6. the KA6 might be better if I needed pres/inputs, but I really don't so... I *think* the latency is comparable between the two. I really do like that big knob on the KA6 though.

Also the Steinberg supports higher sample rate, though I have my doubts that it's even noticeable.
One of mine supports up to 96K, I think, the other up to 192k, but I never use anything other than 44.1 and 48 (mostly 48), so for me it's really moot.

Thanks for your help all, went with the Steinberg UR22MKII.

The KA6 looked nice, and some had said sound quality was better, but reviews were overall very mixed. I like the big volume knob, but whatever. Also I had heard reports that KA might have been slightly lower latency, but IDK.

Ultimately, I chose the Steinberg because of less overall reported issues (people said it was rock solid) and stable drivers. I couldn't justify spending almost 75$ more on the KA6. Seemed pretty neck and neck. Were they the same price, may have gotten the KA6, but eh.

The only think that gave me pause was apparently the UR22MKII doesn't do direct monitoring in stereo, but if I understand correctly, I don't think I'd be doing any real time monitoring (that's with inputs, right?)

Hopefully it'll be a good addition.

Top Bottom