No, Reaper is Not Ugly...

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by robgb, Feb 6, 2019.

1. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
  2. Chr!s

Chr!s Active Member

May 27, 2018
    I think she's pretty ugly tbh

But looks aren't everything

3. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
  4. calebfaith

calebfaith Active Member

robgb likes this.
  5. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    Unfortunately some of the prettiest themes are not very functional but this one seems to strike a nice balance between form and function. I like it. I've always thought the new default theme, with a couple of tweaks of my own, was actually pretty easy on the eyes and works well for me but I may try this one out.

robgb likes this.
  6. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    of course Reaper has crap aesthetics - it is impossible to design coherent graphics for it without an enormous effort. That's part of the development philosophy (using windows libraries) and the devs have said they have no interest in usability or design. As far as I know there is only one group who have gone to the effort of making a coherent interface for Reaper
    https://ultraschall.fm/

7. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I see nothing special about this theme.
    And you can't install it on anything other than version 5.7

8. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Pro X-Tools Gold v3

9. aaronventure

aaronventure Active Member

Apr 10, 2017
    My edit of Funktion with some QoL track color (track now colored completely in the arrange view left-side) and shading changes (different shades of gray for odd/even tracks, piano roll shades swapped, less obtrusive colors for MIDI notes).
    upload_2019-2-7_10-6-16.png

Here's a shot of the original from the page:

[​IMG]

I've tried out everything that caught my eye, but I've been using this for two years now.

robgb and calebfaith like this.
  10. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

Most Reaper themes are indeed ugly - some to a seizure inducing degree. But that will always be the case when you open up a program for skinning. Most people simply doesn't have the aesthetic sensibilities required to design a pleasant looking interface that is also functional.

Pretty nice one you have there @robgb - though I'm a little allergic to the angular "trying to look sci-fi" fonts :)

I ended up forking a theme I liked and am now tweaking it myself. Very satisfying - and also a surefire way to make sure that you don't make any music for a few days.

Alex Niedt and MartinH. like this.
  11. Since I've switched from Pro Tools 11 to REAPER 5 as my primary DAW back in 2016., I've learned to like its utilitarian look. Personally, I think that the default v5 theme is a pretty good balance between the form an functionality. My main gripe is the light background in the MIDI editor, so I'm using a variant of v5 Default called "Nitpicky Edition", which has a dark one. This theme also feature nicer looking fonts and it blends very well with the software I'm using within REAPER on a daily basis such as Kontakt, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, Neutron, Ozone etc. It also fits aesthetically with the dark theme of Windows 10.

pderbidge likes this.
  12. MOMA

MOMA Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I use the protools theme and its clear, functional and pleasant to the eye. Look in the reaper forums and you´ll find some really tasty alternatives.

13. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    That sounds tempting. Can I just dive in and poke around in it, or should I check out some kind of reference material first? I'm fine with the default look, I just want to hide or rearrange some things, and I have prior coding experience.

14. Rasmus Hartvig

Sure thing. It's pretty easy to get to grips with. The WALTER reference page is probably everything you need to be able to move stuff around. There are some intricacies if you want to start scaling graphic elements or use button image stacks, but for minor tweaks it's pretty simple. Just copy and rename the default theme and start poking around.

One thing I did, was to rewrite the rtconfig.txt file to ERB (embedded Ruby). This way I can have variables and do math operations in the theme configuration file, which makes the whole thing way more compact and easy to maintain. So it basically becomes somewhat like SASS in the web world, where you have some nice conveniences in a format that then gets compiled to its final form. See... Guaranteed no productivity for days!

AlexRuger likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    There are a lot of things you can do simply by going to the actions menu, search for "tweak" and use the tweak menu to change colors in various sections. For example if you don't like the midi editor background, you can easily change that. I have yet to figure out how to do deep tweaks on a theme yet, because every time I unzip and rezip the theme file, I get a white mess. I'm not sure why.

MartinH. likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Easily changed in the "tweak" action.

Rasmus Hartvig likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    This theme lends itself well to some custom actions and toolbars I'm creating using the Console, etc.
    Reaper.gif

18. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    What do you use for re-zipping? I tried with win7 default zip function in the explorer and that works.
    I've tried editing rtconfig.txt and was able to hide some elements, but wasn't able to figure out yet how to change the position of the elements. Oh wait, there is a section called " USER : mess with these:", that must be where this stuff is. Cool, gonna play with that when I have more time.

19. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Active Member

I like it as it is by default, since it's not distracting. I wonder: why is aesthetics relevant?

bjderganc likes this.
  20. Rasmus Hartvig

If the lack of aesthetics is distracting it's relevant :)