What's new

"NOITS" - orchestral track (critiques wanted)

Nice sounding libraries. Your music sounds good. It's pretty interesting and emotive but maybe not exactly "catchy". I'm not sure about that short chord diversion at 1:49. It Feels more like a bump in the road than a different view.

Nice sounding libraries. Your music sounds good. It's pretty interesting and emotive but maybe not exactly "catchy". I'm not sure about that short chord diversion at 1:49. It Feels more like a bump in the road than a different view.

Thanks, Phil! Okay, good to know. You know, I assumed you were talking about the moment at 2:21, but 1:49, eh? 2:21 is a risky moment and maybe I should revisit it, but I’ll take another listen to the whole thing.

I like it. It has a nice dreamy atmosphere.
The mockup and mix sounds good!

Glad to hear that, Ole! Thanks for the feedback.:)

Get a thumbs up from me :2thumbs: :grin:

Thanks, man!

This sounds great - the atmosphere is perfect for a melancholy film scene and the instruments all very expressive and natural. The only critical reaction I had was maybe it shouldn't build up near the end but stay consistently quiet? But I'm not sure of that as it depends on what you want to do with it.

Nice!

If previous 1:49 comment is the same as the 1:36 (I think it is) then that's my favourite part, really gave me that suspense feeling of looking over a cliff. Loved it.
I also liked 2:21, but maybe felt it needed to build up more after to compliment that change? More of the above to add suspense before the final settling part.

I also wouldn't call it catchy, but I listened to it 4 times. So I guess it is... weird how these things work o_O

This sounds great - the atmosphere is perfect for a melancholy film scene and the instruments all very expressive and natural. The only critical reaction I had was maybe it shouldn't build up near the end but stay consistently quiet? But I'm not sure of that as it depends on what you want to do with it.

Thanks for this feedback, William! I seem to always be going for tracks that have a sort of dramatic arc to them instead of a steady mood. But it’s a good suggestion. I’m also flirting with the idea of making a video to go with this, so I think a progression from somewhere and toward something different could be more suited. Thanks for listening!

Nice!

If previous 1:49 comment is the same as the 1:36 (I think it is) then that's my favourite part, really gave me that suspense feeling of looking over a cliff. Loved it.
I also liked 2:21, but maybe felt it needed to build up more after to compliment that change? More of the above to add suspense before the final settling part.

I also wouldn't call it catchy, but I listened to it 4 times. So I guess it is... weird how these things work o_O

Haha, thank you, James! It’s great to hear your thoughts/feelings about those particular sections too. I will definitely think about what to change or add to that section at 2:21. It might be worth trying.

Everything I've heard from you has a wonderful, mystical vibe... and for sure, this one is more thematic. And I always enjoy the dissonance you play with... but the chord at 1:49 threw me off without some visual context to work with. Strong stuff nonetheless!

A very haunting piece. I especially like the (felt?) piano, and the melancholy harmonies. I felt that the strings when they enter around 0:55 overwhelm the piano a bit too much... the string/cello piano balance at 2:00 sounds much better to me. The horns at 2:22 are a very brave move ;) A more muted tone would help them blend in and add a touch of subtlety.
I really enjoyed it!

Everything I've heard from you has a wonderful, mystical vibe... and for sure, this one is more thematic. And I always enjoy the dissonance you play with... but the chord at 1:49 threw me off without some visual context to work with. Strong stuff nonetheless!

Thank you, LamaRose! Ah yes, thematic is the word I should have used instead of ‘catchy’. I appreciate your feedback. It’s definitely useful to know that 1:49 is throwing some people off. I do love using dissonance. Makes me think of Mike Verta’s explanation about moods where he said something like the word ‘sweet’ means one thing to us and the word ‘suffering’ means another, and the words ‘sweet suffering’ mean something else altogether. I always think of that when using dissonance, and for some reason 1:49 doesn’t inherently throw me off, so it’s good to gauge how other respond to it. Thank you for that.

A very haunting piece. I especially like the (felt?) piano, and the melancholy harmonies. I felt that the strings when they enter around 0:55 overwhelm the piano a bit too much... the string/cello piano balance at 2:00 sounds much better to me. The horns at 2:22 are a very brave move ;) A more muted tone would help them blend in and add a touch of subtlety.
I really enjoyed it!

Thanks, Rudi! Happy to hear this kind of feedback. You raise good points about levels. I think I’m still trying to find an optimal way to monitor and evaluate mixes. I’ve been testing with various headphones, speakers, car audio systems, SonarWorks, AirPods, etc. The piano and basses react so differently on each of them that I’m having to go with a rough average, tweak velocities, etc, but it’s an ongoing and tricky process. But, you know, I also do like how the strings and brass sort of take over the focus from the piano at some point in the song.

Come back to listen again. In my opinion this is one of the gentle and touching things that I listened to recently. Harmony is OK. The strings sound amazing. Share the list of library that you used. I suppose CSS were involved here?

Last edited:
Lovely stuff, got me hooked up from the first chords!

Thank you, Tomek! That's great to hear! And I'm really loving the character of Lekko. You did a fabulous job with this instrument.

Come back to listen again. In my opinion this is one of the gentle and touching things that I listened to recently. Harmony is OK. The strings sound amazing. Share the list of library that you used. I suppose CSS were involved here?

Thank you, Vladimir! That's very nice of you to say, and as I consider you one of vi-control's mock-up masters it's doubly nice to hear.

The string libraries used here are a blend of Bohemian Cello and CSSS for the solos. And the full string sections are CSS+CSSS and the first violins also have OT Berlin Strings Sul Tasto layered in. There's also some support from Time Micro to add some overall richness and texture.

Top Bottom