What's new

No more dongles!

Just saw some tweets from Steinberg committing to shedding the dongle! I for have been waiting a long time to hear this. I’d imagine the recent license server issues may have had a hand in the announcement. Either way it can’t come soon enough!

“It’s too early to announce details on the schedule or the new environment, but one thing is for sure: The future will be dongle-free.”

The Steinberg Team

Longer statement in the forum, but just more text, not more information ;)

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license-management-and-the-future-of-the-elicenser-changes-ahead/701407
So, VSL: your turn!

Here is the 'no-subscription' statement:

Dear customers, we conducted a survey a couple of months ago in which we asked if subscription might be an alternative model. The result was a clear “no.” Of course we will respect this. There are definitely no plans or whatsoever for a subscription model.
If you like to update to the latest version or if you stick with the version you originally purchased is entirely up to you.

Frank Simmerlein
Marketing Director

Ah, that was 5 years ago.
But I thought I hear them say that not that long ago too.

Last edited:
I don't mind dongle, cloud, whatever..as long as it isn't subscription cause then I'll take my business elsewhere..

That is fantastic news! Having to have a dongle was the one-and-only reason I didn’t go with Cubase (or indeed 7th Heaven Reverb for that matter). I do a lot of work on laptops on the road and having to use a scarce USB port for a dongle was always a dealbreaker.

Re: Steinberg - Having to deal with machine-based license managements is a major PITA for people like me who work in different studios on local machines all the time, but who want to bring in (some of) their own software tools nonetheless. I hope that there will be at least a solution like the one Waves offers, which allows for using any USB-stick as a mobile container for instantly valid licenses.

Re: Steinberg - Having to deal with machine-based license managements is a major PITA for people like me who work in different studios on local machines all the time, but who want to bring in (some of) their own software tools nonetheless. I hope that there will be at least a solution like the one Waves offers, which allows for using any USB-stick as a mobile container for instantly valid licenses.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. If you move around a dongle is a much better solution.

However, the best solution of all is to offer at least two licenses, neither of which requires a dongle and neither of which requires a constant internet connection so you don't have to pay $15 when you're on an airplane.

And one other issue that hits me all the time (including yesterday): Waves got rid of the dongle but every time I transfer licenses I lose several minutes waiting for Waves Central to do its frigging updates. That's a colossal PITA and is one reason why I'm ridding myself of Waves stuff. Transferring licenses with a dongle takes about 5 seconds.

I don't see much real info above other than the dongle is going away. I hope they don't go the Waves route... that approach very much does *not* work for me. I much prefer a dongle over the Waves approach.

rgames

Top Bottom