What's new

No more dongles!

EgM

Game music!
You are right, but people who want their files and usage data 100% private and protected should be able to make that choice, especially these days. If a software company needs to access my hard drive in order for me to keep using their software, then I'm not going to use their software. It's that simple.

This is another whole can of worms, I've been using/developing software for over 35 years and I have accepted reluctantly that I have no control over privacy while using the current operating systems.

Don't get me wrong, parts of me wants to be that fighting spirit that once used DOS 2/C64/ATARI800XL who had TOTAL and I do mean TOTAL control over their machines! But this is not how it works anymore.

What you're asking is Windows 98 era privacy policy. And even then they were sued!

dzilizzi

I hope Steinberg doesn’t go with ‘code meter’ I had that forced on me with VPS Avenger and its a PIA. Basically you get a 3 month license and then have to reconnect it to download another 3 month license
I have my Reason license on codemeter. It doesn't require a lot of reconnecting.

dzilizzi

This is another whole can of worms, I've been using/developing software for over 35 years and I have accepted reluctantly that I have no control over privacy while using the current operating systems.

Don't get me wrong, parts of me wants to be that fighting spirit that once used DOS 2/C64/ATARI800XL who had TOTAL and I do mean TOTAL control over their machines! But this is not how it works anymore.

What you're asking is Windows 98 era privacy policy. And even then they were sued!
I think this is more for the big studios and people who work on films. A lot of time the contracts require the working DAW to be off-line for security reasons.

Polkasound

I understand everything is moving farther and farther away from privacy, but I still have the fighting spirit to maintain mine. After I installed Windows 10 on a PC last year, I spent days in the registry modifying everything needed to keep Microsoft out of my business. I don't have a Facebook account. I don't have a Google account. I don't use phone apps. I don't use rewards cards. I pay for everything with cash. I browse with ghosting extensions through a VPN. It's not easy living this way in 2021, but it's simply not in my nature to devaluate my privacy even when the rest of the modern world expects me to.

EgM

Game music!
I understand everything is moving farther and farther away from privacy, but I still have the fighting spirit to maintain mine. After I installed Windows 10 on a PC last year, I spent days in the registry modifying everything needed to keep Microsoft out of my business. I don't have a Facebook account. I don't have a Google account. I don't use phone apps. I don't use rewards cards. I pay for everything with cash. I browse with ghosting extensions through a VPN. It's not easy living this way in 2021, but it's simply not in my nature to devaluate my privacy even when the rest of the modern world expects me to.

I respect your drive @Polkasound , I really do. But myself, I don't have that passion and I'm not sure many of us do when the number one passion we have is writing music and not stopping for bulls*.

w/love :)

EgM

Game music!
I respect your drive @Polkasound , I really do. But myself, I don't have that passion and I'm not sure many of us do when the number one passion we have is writing music and not stopping for bulls*.

w/love :)

I'll tell you this though @Polkasound, I'm on Windows 10, 1803 frozen in time. I have updates inactive using group policy, defender intactive (through GP) and all other reporting stuff disabled as well. I have to say that my machine NEVER talks to me regarding updates, reports, or anything else so it -almost- feels as if I'm offline :)

But I totally understand how you feel. I hate the way we use an operating system today!

JamieLang

I still think the NOT trivial part of this is that all Cubase versions prior to them implementing this will need an eLiscenser, which will no longer be updated for new OS revisions. Means that you now ARE going to be using the current'ish version of Cubase....and purchasing that license will no longer entitle your to run down-level versions as needed. That means buying v12 (just assuming that's whne this shows up)--you literally have ONE version you can run.

Privacy isn't my concern...unless they're actually taking significant data I've seen no evidence of.... It's that sometimes I need to use an old machine for something, and I CAN...with my 10.5 elicenser. I am NOT convinced that 10.5 is the best Cubase engine for all users. It's too new. They've made the compensation engine trickier--a 1sec latent plug in on the drum bus no does NOT delay input. I need to run some tests--but, I don't do hardware inserts any more.

Suffice to say v6 was tight AF-better than MOST MODERN DAWS at that one thing-it's why I used it so long when I HAD racks of analog gear. Nothing other than Avid running EXPENSIVE Avid hardware could touch it. This new engine has a lot of things that make me wonder if they haven't let that slide a little to make the MIDI crowd happy with less latency...

I don't like the idea of abandoning the PAST market leading software. Part of the reason I've stuck with Cubase is I can run it on WHATEVER I have...they were SO mature so long ago...in terms of audio engine AND midi sequencer...that they might find themselves in position of Fender and amps--the biggest competition for a new Fender Deluxe are the 23 million used Fender Deluxes. You know?

Andy_P

E licencer, most of the time worked flawlessly except a couple of incidents lately. I do not believe these are not easy to solve problems and not a reason to risk the copy protection which worked well till now with something new.
What I think lies behind is to make Cubase more available and easier to get and used wherever you are like all other DAWs, but Steinberg should do more than that to gain mass market interest again. Currently its fate lies in the hands of orchestral and media composers. Unfortunately younger generation and internet fame has no idea about Cubase.

greggybud

Like it or not, the "strict offline user" is not very common. I've had my machines online as a DAW since 1995 or so and I've never had issues. For a company to dumb down their copy protection to offline only is very problematic.
It's been a while, but I was told by one major VST developer, that off-line users account for about 5%.

Snoobydoobydoo

Like it or not, the "strict offline user" is not very common. I've had my machines online as a DAW since 1995 or so and I've never had issues. For a company to dumb down their copy protection to offline only is very problematic.
Well my iLok is offline, and i like it. Yea, U-He is crying in pain,... maybe.

I see the main problem with people have to be online then all the time , and dont have a secure OS set up.
Btw. In Germany, Internet can be hell if you dont live in a city. Some people i know just have bad or no connection at all....

RogiervG

Well my iLok is offline, and i like it. Yea, U-He is crying in pain,... maybe.

I see the main problem with people have to be online then all the time , and dont have a secure OS set up.
Btw. In Germany, Internet can be hell if you dont live in a city. Some people i know just have bad or no connection at all....
What has U-He to do with this dongle debate? ;)

Top Bottom