What's new

No more dongles!

Sunny Schramm

That is fantastic news! Having to have a dongle was the one-and-only reason I didn’t go with Cubase (or indeed 7th Heaven Reverb for that matter). I do a lot of work on laptops on the road and having to use a scarce USB port for a dongle was always a dealbreaker.
Seventh Heaven works without a dongle. ilok-cloud makes it possible.

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarrini (btw, don't own it, just love it)
Yeah I'm in the same boat. If you move around a dongle is a much better solution.

However, the best solution of all is to offer at least two licenses, neither of which requires a dongle and neither of which requires a constant internet connection so you don't have to pay $15 when you're on an airplane.

And one other issue that hits me all the time (including yesterday): Waves got rid of the dongle but every time I transfer licenses I lose several minutes waiting for Waves Central to do its frigging updates. That's a colossal PITA and is one reason why I'm ridding myself of Waves stuff. Transferring licenses with a dongle takes about 5 seconds.

I don't see much real info above other than the dongle is going away. I hope they don't go the Waves route... that approach very much does *not* work for me. I much prefer a dongle over the Waves approach.

rgames
VSL announced a commitment to iLok, both cloud and stick, perfect solution for the plane as long as you transfer before you leave for the airport. Hopefully Steinberg follows suit!
Greetings from Scottsdale BTW, just discovered you're also from AZ. :)

RogiervG

Ehm.. i prefer their own tool for license control, that is in the same vain as e.g. arturia's or Orchestral Tools or Spitfire audio or heck even native intstruments one. An account, login, activate, done. Need updates? login again, download update, install, done.
Oh and make sure you can always deactivate a license via the tool from wherever you run the tool (or website), e.g at a friends computer because your are visiting him/her because your machine is dead in the water and needs replacement hardware, you don't lose a license (if they will allow two activations or more).
Most activators use an algorythm based on a unique computer identifier number, calculated with e.g. Motherboard, cpu, and some other info, so a replacement hardware can make an activation invalid.

Last edited:

Snoobydoobydoo

What if your machine is generally offline (for security purposes, maybe)? No login..
Steinberg Servers are under maintenance..No login...
Backyard Opossum chewed your cable..No login...

I wouldnt like that Steinberg becomes the new NI with their horrible Native
Access which turned me into a depressed hulk a lot of times.

homie

Other than possibly getting a second computer activated this not really good news to me at all.

Single computer/license was the only downside regarding eLicenser for me. (moving dongles between computers sucks) Other than that worked like a charme for years.

RogiervG

What if your machine is generally offline (for security purposes, maybe)? No login..
Steinberg Servers are under maintenance..No login...
Backyard Opossum chewed your cable..No login...

I wouldnt like that Steinberg becomes the new NI with their horrible Native
Access which turned me into a depressed hulk a lot of times.
Maybe they could allow 100 offline starts? after those, it needs to call home again.. for another 100.
Look infinite offline starts is not a proper move imho. Because what if your machine is stolen or breaks down... it has an activated license on it.. in case of theft, it remains working because it's not calling home (logged in online). How ehm, would you be able to retrieve your license? You can't. Steinberg needs to generate a new license for you, that you can activate. But in case of theft, the thief still has YOUR license in use...forever (and the software remains working too)

RogiervG

Other than possibly getting a second computer activated this not really good news to me at all.

Single computer/license was the only downside regarding eLicenser for me. (moving dongles between computers sucks) Other than that worked like a charme for years.
If they allow license activation/deactivation via a tool, that is easy peasy right? Login, deactivate license for a machine, and activate it for another. just as fast a inserting a dongle, imho.
Or indeed they now allow more activations, like several others do with software protection tools (arturia e.g.).

So it's still good news, no more dongle breaking/loosing risks...

heisenberg

having uncertain feelings
VSL announced a commitment to iLok, both cloud and stick, perfect solution for the plane as long as you transfer before you leave for the airport. Hopefully Steinberg follows suit!
Greetings from Scottsdale BTW, just discovered you're also from AZ. :)
Steinberg announced this earlier today on their forum, a few hours before it was announced here in this thread.

In hindsight, I am not surprised given the tenuous nature of some of the updates to their elicenser recently. Just a hunch though.

AdamKmusic

I've , fingers crossed, never had any dongle issues since being a Cubase user (about 6-7 years now). So the issues have just been for people registering new versions of Cubase?

Polkasound

True story: A few weeks ago, I wrote to Steinberg to explain that I have two PCs in two different cities, both running Cubase, but only one license/dongle between them. I complained that every time I'd forget the dongle, I'd have to make a half-hour round trip, and that I really wish there were a better way.

Probably not true: My email touched Steinberg's hearts, reduced them to tears, and impelled them to find a solution. A printout of my email is now hanging on the office wall of Takuya Nakata, president of Yamaha Corporation, where it will forever serve as a source of inspiration for future generations of the company's leaders. You're welcome.

Snoobydoobydoo

Maybe they could allow 100 offline starts? after those, it needs to call home again.. for another 100.
Look infinite offline starts is not a proper move imho. Because what if your machine is stolen or breaks down... it has an activated license on it.. in case of theft, it remains working because it's not calling home (logged in online). How ehm, would you be able to retrieve your license? You can't. Steinberg needs to generate a new license for you, that you can activate. But in case of theft, the thief still has YOUR license in use...forever (and the software remains working too)
If they would allow a limited number of "starts", ill say goodbye. My machine is not connected to the net, after its set up.
In case of theft, youre better be insured. If someone steals a piece of hardware, how would you be able to retrieve that? How do we know that some serials (simple oldschool serialcode offline activation like the U-He Stuff) of our vst's we own, havnt been leaked already? The theft's serial from you will work, but yours will work too, forever, because
the program doesnt need to phone home or be connected to the servers once in a while.
You bought it, and you better have the invoice printed and sorted in a shelf, so that no thief can destroy your life.

I wouldnt use something like Adobe that has to phone home, only at work...were most of the IT is always online and
there are better security standards than at home.

Snoobydoobydoo

True story: A few weeks ago, I wrote to Steinberg to explain that I have two PCs in two different cities, both running Cubase, but only one license/dongle between them. I complained that every time I'd forget the dongle, I'd have to make a half-hour round trip, and that I really wish there were a better way.

Probably not true: My email touched Steinberg's hearts, reduced them to tears, and impelled them to find a solution. A printout of my email is now hanging on the office wall of Takuya Nakata, president of Yamaha Corporation, where it will forever serve as a source of inspiration for future generations of the company's leaders. You're welcome.
But instead of keeping Steinberg busy, you could have just bought a second license(+r) and superglue the Dongles to their USB Ports, like me. And if the whole machine get stolen you just replace your Studio and house for a nicer one with metal bars after you have replaced the thefts brain with a hole.

Polkasound

But instead of keeping Steinberg busy, you could have just bought a second license(+r)
It actually did occur to me a couple days ago that one of my DAWs will likely never need an update or new content from Steinberg or any other company that uses the eLicenser. I could keep the dongle in that DAW, order a new dongle for my other DAW, and transfer the licenses to it. The DAW with the old dongle would continue running Cubase on a deactivated license.

I would normally never promote breaking a EULA, but when it's only to make things easier for the sole use of the licensed user, I see no harm in it.

Dietz

Space Explorer
Seventh Heaven works without a dongle. ilok-cloud makes it possible.
If you ever go to a commercial facility with a rigid off-line policy for their workstations (sometimes imposed on them by their clients) you will happily resort to the hardware.

JamieLang

Unless they use iLok AND support that dongle as an option, this is a bad news for me. I hate machine authorization...a LOT. So, switching to iLok? Cool. Positive move--TWO dongles has always been stupid. But, converting to "always online" machine authorization?

Super negative.

Not to mention, this means you can't run downlevel versions, right? because version <12(or whatever when they chage it) will be coded to look for eLicenser.

EgM

Game music!
Unless they use iLok AND support that dongle as an option, this is a bad news for me. I hate machine authorization...a LOT. So, switching to iLok? Cool. Positive move--TWO dongles has always been stupid. But, converting to "always online" machine authorization?

Super negative.

Not to mention, this means you can't run downlevel versions, right? because version <12(or whatever when they chage it) will be coded to look for eLicenser.

No one ever said you couldn't use both options, use USB iLok if you don't like machine auths

Top Bottom