What's new

NKR, UACC & Default or Standard Midi Spec CC usage for Kontakt Libraries. COMMENTS PLEASE!

Different Libraries

• What happens if i turn this ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shapednoise

Drunkard, Pervert, Noise geek.
Hi all,
On the Controller interfacing with software front, things seem too be slowly improving, with NI putting forward NKR and the SpitfireAudio UACC, and these are welcomed, as universality and consistency are what made MIDI so universally useful rather than proprietary brand specific solutions (Oberheim Parallel Buss - Roland DCB etc) BUT there seems (unless really missing something) almost no usage of some of the very useful CC assignments in the original midi spec.

The original Midi spec2 has some useful 'defaults' Obviously CC1modW- CC7vol - 11exp -64hold - are pretty much universal, but i NEVER seem to see things such as 71resonance -74FiltCutoff - 72release-73attack -91reverbsend for instance?

This seems like a really lost opportunity for developers to embrace these and for musicians to be abel to set up hardware and have much bigger selection of completely uniform controllers so the old muscle memory for reaching for the Reverb or Filter are pretty much global.

Just a question…

When using hardware midi controllers on Kontakt libs, do you just use what ever CC's are / maybe assigned by the manufacture, (maybe edit the CC's sent by your controller)

or…

Do you re assign the library to match the assignments you have as your personal default on your hardware.

Would you actually USE IT if things such as VCA Attack and Release, Filter Cutoff and Rev/ Delay sends etc were Uniform for all libraries?

Obviously this would need everyone to get on board, but since there seems to be some interest in this area at the moment, it would be fantastic if we took advantage of this so sadly under used aspect of the Midi Spec.

Thoughts Comments?

- Modulation Depth (cc#1)
- Portamento Time (cc#5)
- Channel Volume (cc#7)
- Pan (cc#10)
- Expression (cc#11)
- Hold1 (Damper) (cc#64)
- Portamento ON/OFF (cc#65)
- Sostenuto (cc#66)
- Soft (cc#67)
- Filter Resonance (Timbre/Harmonic Intensity) (cc#71)
- Release Time (cc#72)
- Attack time (cc#73)
- Brightness (cc#74)
- Decay Time (cc#75) (new message)
- Vibrato Rate (cc#76) (new message)
- Vibrato Depth (cc#77) (new message)
- Vibrato Delay (cc#78) (new message)
- Reverb Send Level (cc#91)
- Chorus Send Level (cc#93)
- Data Entry (cc#6/38)
- RPN LSB/MSB (cc#100/101)

Last edited:
if all developers used the same CC's for things like attack, Filter, Verb sends etc
Then using our loverly midi controllers would start to feel a bit more like when we use familiar hardware synths etc, you don't have to LOOK for the controller, you just reach for it instinctively …
Part of Muscle memory Etc.

Obviously not EVERYTHING can be covered, but there are a LOT of things that we could.

I would very much like a bit of standardization. I've found that the use of CC2 for vibrato is somewhat common.
Where there multiple controls for vibrato, such as what you suggest, this doesn't always work.
Another important one for me is ADSR or at least Attach and Release.
Spitfire has the lovely "tightness" dial, which appears somewhat unique to them.

The Nektar LX, which I ordered, has dedicated encoders with those very things...they default, I'd imagine, to the silk screening right on the keyboard. Filter, decay, resonance...etc. it's being done. I also think there are general CC's not in use for expansion on when things do become standard. Maybe the pitch wheel can be upgraded to do keyswitches as well for some patches that you would not otherwise need bending

I would very much like a bit of standardization.
MIDI standard 1983 - https://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/cntrlnumb.html

Every developer seems to ignore it, CC1 should be for vibrato :P C2 for breath control

Best option is to allow the user to choose what they want.

Choose your own adventure is the current state.
I'm just putting forward that if every developer used the same cc for the basic specific parameter, 'life' would be simpler.

The Nektar LX, which I ordered, has dedicated encoders with those very things...they default, I'd imagine, to the silk screening right on the keyboard. Filter, decay, resonance...etc. it's being done. I also think there are general CC's not in use for expansion on when things do become standard. Maybe the pitch wheel can be upgraded to do keyswitches as well for some patches that you would not otherwise need bending

Are they using the midi standard cc values for those functions?
Do you leave them set that way ?

Are they using the midi standard cc values for those functions?
Do you leave them set that way ?

I am receiving the controller on Tuesday. I will report back, but being that it's silk screened on the top, I would assume that it's the standard CC number as default.

Top Bottom