What's new

Nice to see this discussion group! Cheers!

el profe

I just wanted to say how lovely this new forum looks and feels.
So to launch my first post (a trophy was flagged, hahah)... I'll take off from a comment I read on another post but that got me thinking about one subject - a famous proponent of the course or amazing piece of music from a famous practitioner..... (read on)

I was going to respond after reading a post reply elsewhere on this subforum about EIS and how a person was looking for an 'amazing' piece of music written by a composer who has studied the EIS course to show them it's value.

I've heard a lot of great pieces by such people and I've also witnessed a few who could easily perform live small group trio/quartet/etc. improvising intros, bridges, solo reharmonizations and codas via EIS that sounded quite marvelous (an example would be the late Gerald Wiggins wow was he terrific live- look him up if you're not familiar with him, jazz pianist who lived in Los Angeles). Here's a little about him on the LA Philharmonic's website: (broken link removed)

As for looking for a Beethoven or Stravinsky or such in the orchestral world, I couldn't name anyone myself off the bat. But I wouldn't be surprised if we did had some (or soon will have some). I mostly know the Hollywood professional cats and that's where Spud lived and taught as most of his graduate students still do with some exceptions.

One of the great arrangers of the Hollywood Popular Music Scene from the 50's till recently is Jimmie Haskell (in his late years these days) who worked on many hit records as an arranger studied with Spud. As did many successful arrangers/orchestrator/composers. Spud also was a founding member of ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) and one of the longtime Musician's Union officers in Hollywood. So it's no surprise that most of his students were from the professional world of Hollywood arrangers and orchestrators more than of the variety of 'serious composers of strictly concert orchestral music' from the world of music academia which is what Aaron Copeland, Bernstein and Stravinsky and the like were. https://www.jimmiehaskell.com/

So it's a bit of where the teacher of the course hung his hat - so to say.
Had Spud taught at Julliard I'm certain that there would be many fine concert music composers today who would have studied his EIS course. But that's just my limited two cents on the subject.

The course is still relatively new in classical, romantic, impressionistic, expressionistic, atonal, music concrete, etc. etc. etc. terms .

On with the motley!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post El! This aspect of the EIS topic is near and dear to me as a classical composer who does some more popular writing rather than the reverse. When the new website is ready, I'd love to see a more current list of students of the course. I'm sure it's a fascinating list!

Top Bottom