What's new

NI Symphony Series Strings VS Cinematic Studio Strings

Which is a better purchase?

• Total voters
Which is a better purchase? Looking for real world experience with each library.
I would have hesitated to post such .... but then, I'm a real wimp !! :sleep:
So many solid Libs out there, but NI_Symphony Series Strings seems to offer solid, capable content (@ $149.) from which to branch out as individual needs and preferences dictate.
Watching with honest interest.

You're asking this question on VI control, so the answer you'll get is CSS, as it's a popular library around here.
The better answer is: Whatever you like the sound of best and what you think might suit your workflow.
I have the NI library so can answer any questions you have about it - just hit me up.

Please don't ever buy NI strings(4RRs in spiccs is just ridiculous).
CSS is a far, far superior product.

I have the NI essentials that came with Komplete and aren’t convinced the complete versions would be better. Essentials doesn’t sound bad...buggy here and there. Do you have real world experience with both libraries? I haven’t been able to find many people talking about it from experience...just based upon demos and tech specs.

You're asking this question on VI control, so the answer you'll get is CSS, as it's a popular library around here.
The better answer is: Whatever you like the sound of best and what you think might suit your workflow.
I have the NI library so can answer any questions you have about it - just hit me up.

THX ... and will, without hesitation.
Honestly, long leaning toward LASS, with steady probing to make sure NI_SS does not get close.
LASS Full 2.5 is lotsa clams, so first move is likely to [ LASS Lite 2.0 + First Chair 2.0 Bundle ] at current promo cost.
No divisi, but seems about time for a notable enhancement .......

That’s the thing. I really like the demos of CSS and I know they get lots of here on VI-Control. I have a little experience with the NI so I understand the workflow. I just want to know if there are glaring issues with the NI library or just lack of adoption.

I have the NI essentials that came with Komplete and aren’t convinced the complete versions would be better. Essentials doesn’t sound bad...buggy here and there. Do you have real world experience with both libraries? I haven’t been able to find many people talking about it from experience...just based upon demos and tech specs.
The 4RR thing is only an issue if you play 4 notes one after the other at the same pitch and velocity. Which is missing the point.

Whilst the library is new to me, I've put a fair bit of time into it and will jot down my thoughts tomorrow (it's nearly 2am here.)

Got both. Major workflow killer for me is that NI Strings is the only string library I have where you HAVE to leave a small gap between notes to trigger legato. And its very tricky to do this in real time as the gap must be very small.

The only nice unique feature is the ability to divide the sections into smaller groups.

Every other library uses overlapped notes to do this. If you overlap notes in SS Strings it does NOT play them Legato.

Very strange concept and makes sharing midi with other libraries impossible.

If cost is not the issue CSS every time. IMO Strings is the weakest link in the NI SS.

Every other library uses overlapped notes to do this. If you overlap notes in SS Strings it does NOT play them Legato.
You sure? Not looking to start an argument (genuinely curious) but that's not my experience here. If I leave gaps, I get a slow attack sustain. If I play legato, I get legato. Strange..

Edit: Or do you mean placing a small gap between the first note of the phrase before the rest of the legato passage? Interesting..

Last edited:
Not got it running at moment but THINK it might be when auto divisi is on only. But I am sure it needs a small gap to play legato otherwise the notes play like a sustain patch.

Between these two, i'll recommend CSS for its sound but in terms of workflow, i'll opt for Native Instruments Symphony Series Strings. Based on the video on the auto-divisi for Native Instruments Symphony Series Strings, i really love the easy and smart way of dealing with divisi strings writing. Pretty solid and smart approach in terms of scripting by Audio Bro. How i really wish this could be applied to LASS. Who knows perhaps the future LASS 3.0?

But if you're given a chance to wait, i'll try to wait for Chris Hein's upcoming Orchestral Strings library which he has showcased lately in one of the strings comparisons demos. Sounds beautiful even though it's not a finished product yet. To me seems like a few more scripting or programming touch up and i'm guessing it'll be out Q1 2018. Base on my experience with CH's solo strings libraries, his scripting and articulation switching is very fluid and i'm having a very positive mindset on his upcoming Orchestral Strings. I cant wait to hear its release.

Which is a better purchase? Looking for real world experience with each library.
I asked this exact same question here before CSS came out between NISSS and CS2, and ended up getting CS2.

The divisi feature on the NI offering was alluring to me too, but Kirk Hunter CS3 has an auto dvisi that works quite well, and can sometimes be gotten very inexpensively on sale.

This might be useful to you

LA Scoring Strings - 62 players
Trailer Strings - 60 players (Vln1+2 recorded as one section; no legatos)
NI Symphonic Series Strings - 60 players
Spitfire Symphonic Strings - 60 players
Hollywood Strings - 57 players
Cinestrings Core - 55 players

---

Cinematic Strings2 - 40 players
Soaring Strings & Adventure Strings - I can't find any info but I think they're around 40
Albion ONE - 37 players (only high/low string sections available)
Cinematic Studio Strings - 35 players (39 with added Solo Strings)
Berlin Strings - 28 players (32 with added First Chairs)

---

Auddict United Strings of Europe - 20 players
Light & Sound Chamber Strings - 18 players
Spitfire Chamber Strings - 16 players

Small differences don't really matter.... but there is a fairly large difference in sound between the three "weight classes" I just outlined - a 60ish piece "symphonic" or "Hollywood sized" string orchestra; a 25-40 piece studio string section, and a 15-20 piece chamber orchestra.

So if you are interested in one of these libraries perhaps your best move would be to check out other libraries in the same "weight class."

CSS is popular but has a dark almost dated sound from years ago, almost nostalgic to my ears. It really depends on what kind of sound you want and what style of music you write, though of course that can be multiple styles and sounds, so buy them all!

I have both, and I cast my vote for CSS. Not to say that CSS is perfect, but I find that I can get better results with it. The legato especially is incredibly different between the two: CSS has the multiple legato transitions that can be demanding to perform with but which can sound very real. Whereas NI String's legato is a glaring weak spot in my opinion … to me it sounds more like a synthesizer pitch bend than it does a group of physical instruments, and I really can't bring myself to use it.

This might be useful to you

LA Scoring Strings - 62 players
Trailer Strings - 60 players (Vln1+2 recorded as one section; no legatos)
NI Symphonic Series Strings - 60 players
Spitfire Symphonic Strings - 60 players
Hollywood Strings - 57 players
Cinestrings Core - 55 players

---

Cinematic Strings2 - 40 players
Soaring Strings & Adventure Strings - I can't find any info but I think they're around 40
Albion ONE - 37 players (only high/low string sections available)
Cinematic Studio Strings - 35 players (39 with added Solo Strings)
Berlin Strings - 28 players (32 with added First Chairs)

---

Auddict United Strings of Europe - 20 players
Light & Sound Chamber Strings - 18 players
Spitfire Chamber Strings - 16 players

Small differences don't really matter.... but there is a fairly large difference in sound between the three "weight classes" I just outlined - a 60ish piece "symphonic" or "Hollywood sized" string orchestra; a 25-40 piece studio string section, and a 15-20 piece chamber orchestra.

So if you are interested in one of these libraries perhaps your best move would be to check out other libraries in the same "weight class."
Wow, amazing. This should probably be pinned at the top of the forum. ;)

I tried NSSS but I was missing charm and elegance. Though this are very subjective parameters it was reason enough for me not to use them any more. But that's just me.

Top Bottom