NI Symphony Series Strings VS Cinematic Studio Strings

Which is a better purchase?

• Total voters

Casiquire

I totally disagree with the idea that an under the radar library must be poorer quality. There are a lot of libraries out there that don't get as much attention but are really amazing. I don't think people in this forum are too diplomatic to criticize any library. We get a bit fanatical instead about the ones we love, sometimes drowning out the voices of some very good libraries along the way.

And I have to agree regarding the EastWest subscription service. Overall I'm not their biggest fan but that's a brilliant move and I wish more developers would do it. They got some more of my money after I swore they would never get any more of my money lol!

Alex Fraser

Yep, this forum is definitely faddish when it comes to libraries. Shiney toys etc.

I’d say broadly speaking the NI Symphony Series has met my expectations for the price. I wasn’t expecting Spitfire levels of detail and haven’t got them. As I explore the collection, I find things I love, other bits I’m not so keen on. And that’s been my experience with every library I’ve brought.

Beat of luck to those looking to spend hard earned coin. I’m gonna bow out of this thread as that little red notification icon is getting addictive and I’ve got work to do!

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Yep, this forum is definitely faddish when it comes to libraries. Shiney toys etc.

I’d say broadly speaking the NI Symphony Series has met my expectations for the price. I wasn’t expecting Spitfire levels of detail and haven’t got them. As I explore the collection, I find things I love, other bits I’m not so keen on. And that’s been my experience with every library I’ve brought.

Beat of luck to those looking to spend hard earned coin. I’m gonna bow out of this thread as that little red notification icon is getting addictive and I’ve got work to do!
Might add __ can relate to OP comment about time/effort making templates for another Library. If your considered comments factor in some of this .... in terms of NI_SSS .... then its attractiveness improves again.
Otherwise, gotta weigh Spitfire_SSS ( or other lib ) incremental cost against template time, etc.

Last edited:
OP
R

rconn

Thank you so much for your input on both the libraries. I appreciate that you took the time to go over the things you liked. It’s the kind of response I was hoping to get from the community. Cheers!

ism

So they are all a bunch of space cadets then ? - Well I'm not completely surprised.
Yep. And continuing to abuse the metaphor, this thread has me seriously thinking about NI strings at the sale price. Ie. whether to save for a trip to the moon - which I think for me means Spitfire Chamber stings - or to go with NI strings. Because $150 sounds like a great price to get to, say, Australia. I'd love to go to Austalia.

Helpful thread (my tendencies toward the abuse of metaphors notwithstanding).

Jaybee

Reading the legato timing threads is a bit daunting... I guess that's my question: what's the easiest large string lib to use that has good legato... don't tell me I should save up for SA SS...?
CSS advanced legato is amazing but does take a bit of massaging in midi to correct timings however it's totally worth the time. That said the new CSS v1.5 patch that was released at the same time as CSSS(!) makes the CSS legato a real breeze to play in. No noticeable lag. Easily 'good enough' as it is. If you really want the ultimate then apply your played in midi to a regular CSS Advanced Legato patch and adjust the Midi timings to taste (there are some scripts around on VIC that do just that depending on which DAW you use).

Michael Antrum

Only the good die young....
Yep. And continuing to abuse the metaphor, this thread has me seriously thinking about NI strings at the sale price. Ie. whether to save for a trip to the moon - which I think for me means Spitfire Chamber stings - or to go with NI strings. Because $150 sounds like a great price to get to, say, Australia. I'd love to go to Austalia.

Helpful thread (my tendencies toward the abuse of metaphors notwithstanding).
Actually, I can absolutely confirm to you that the best string library for your needs is the one you haven't got. It's the cornerstone of the whole VI business.