What's new

NI Symphony Percussions - Missing Articulations!

zeng

composer
Hello,

I bought Symphony Series Percussions but Vibraphone patch does not include motor on, tremolo etc. Also glockenspiel does not include tremolo, gliss, etc.! Tuned percussions have only 1 articulation. AHow can a vibraphone be a vibraphone without motor on?! Many competitors have these articulations at this price!

Traditionally orchestral vibraphones do not use a motor. The Scoring Mallets library does not use a motor for instance. The motor tends to be used in a Jazz context only and is considered somewhat cheesy these days. It's also very hard to re-create authentically. The best one that I know of (and have) is by Soniccouture. They sampled both the open and closed fan position and then modulate between them. It is a very distinctive sound that's simply not used in orchestra.

Traditionally orchestral vibraphones do not use a motor. The Scoring Mallets library does not use a motor for instance. The motor tends to be used in a Jazz context only and is considered somewhat cheesy these days. It's also very hard to re-create authentically. The best one that I know of (and have) is by Soniccouture. They sampled both the open and closed fan position and then modulate between them. It is a very distinctive sound that's simply not used in orchestra.
Thanks VinRice, you are right. But I think at least there should be gliss, tremolo etc. articulations for glockenspiel and xylo. They have only one...

I've seen "motor on" vibraphones called for in a number of orchestral scores.

I've seen "motor on" vibraphones called for in a number of orchestral scores.

Well you can see all sorts of things in orchestral scores!

So a library with $299 (without discounts) should include these articulations??

I don't personally like the Symphony Series stuff but I don't know where you are going with this Zeng. They didn't provide that particular articulation and that's that. There is no 'should' about it.

Well you can see all sorts of things in orchestral scores!

I don't personally like the Symphony Series stuff but I don't know where you are going with this Zeng. They didn't provide that particular articulation and that's that. There is no 'should' about it.

This is a place where can people search info about libraries...and this post may help for some. I bought this with discount to complete my NI symphony series without looking into details, and no problem for me.

Symphony Series isn't the only vibraphone in that price class that doesn't have motor-on. The Handheld Sounds one doesn't either. I do think it's reasonable to expect motor-on from a vibraphone library since that's one of the characteristic things a vibraphone can do, though I get why it sometimes isn't included -- you either have to sample it, which is inflexible and causes motor sync problems; or you have to script it, which often doesn't sound great; or you have to go the Soniccouture route and sample everything twice, match the samples exactly, and crossfade them, which is time consuming, labor intensive, and (I assume) doubles the instrument's RAM footprint.

If you really need motor-on, you might get acceptable results by putting a tremolo plugin on the track.

This is a place where can people search info about libraries...and this post may help for some. I bought this with discount to complete my NI symphony series without looking into details, and no problem for me.

Fair enough!

Top Bottom