What's new

NI Maschine Mikro Mk3 as a MIDI controller - how good?

stigc56

Hi
I have a NI Maschine Mikro Mk2, but this piece of hardware is not supported by Big Sur. The Mk3 version is, so now I would like to know if anyone can recommend this unit or suggest an alternative?
Thanks!

Sorry.. are you asking about an alternative to the MK3 or is it worth upgrading to MK3? I use NI in my setup. I switched to an MK3 after many years using a Mikro. Yes, the MK3 has more features and more buttons and can do more than a Mikro. It also is a larger footprint on the desktop. I like it as it allows me to use the NI software much faster. I dont really use the built in interface. I have never really had any issues with the MK3. It just works.

Not sure about other alternatives as I only use NI hardware and am happy with it.

Sorry.. are you asking about an alternative to the MK3 or is it worth upgrading to MK3? I use NI in my setup. I switched to an MK3 after many years using a Mikro. Yes, the MK3 has more features and more buttons and can do more than a Mikro. It also is a larger footprint on the desktop. I like it as it allows me to use the NI software much faster. I dont really use the built in interface. I have never really had any issues with the MK3. It just works.

Not sure about other alternatives as I only use NI hardware and am happy with it.
May I make an additional / alternative question?

Is it possible to use Maschine hardware to control Komplete instruments through NKS/Komplete Kontrol? I am not interested in using the Maschine software (I´d rather sequence inside the DAW) but if I could use the hardware to control my Komplete instruments I could be interested.

Thanks! :)

May I make an additional / alternative question?

Is it possible to use Maschine hardware to control Komplete instruments through NKS/Komplete Kontrol? I am not interested in using the Maschine software (I´d rather sequence inside the DAW) but if I could use the hardware to control my Komplete instruments I could be interested.

Thanks! :)
Yes. You can control other intruments in Komplete collection with Maschine. It is pre-mapped for the play series and other series of instruments including automation.

You can check out some good vids that Jeff Gibbons does.

I'm basically asking if it's worth upgrading to Mk3. It's quite cheap and I have already created several drumsets templates for the Mk2 that understand is compatible with Mk3. I don't use the Maschine software at all so I can't answer the Q by #veranad

I'm basically asking if it's worth upgrading to Mk3. It's quite cheap and I have already created several drumsets templates for the Mk2 that understand is compatible with Mk3. I don't use the Maschine software at all so I can't answer the Q by #veranad
Only you will know if it's worth it. My take on Maschine is, it's a bit of a EDM/Hip Hop tool, but you can do lots of other styles with it. The built in audio interface of the MK3 I never use. So I wonder if I am really getting my moneys worth with it. But I have been using it for so long that I can't be bothered to switch. I am now looking at Softube console one faders and what not.. so I think, if my MK3 would ever die, I might get a Mikro and take the money saved and desktop space saved, and put it towards a different device that I would make use of more.

Yes. You can control other intruments in Komplete collection with Maschine. It is pre-mapped for the play series and other series of instruments including automation.

You can check out some good vids that Jeff Gibbons does.

Excellent, thanks a lot :thumbsup:

the Mk3 isn't very different from the Mk2. Which isn't all that different from the Mk1. If you consider one of those to be useful, the other's will be as well.

Insert obligatory curse about how ridiculous it is that generic midi equipment doesn't work on Mac. 'It just works' my ass.

Only you will know if it's worth it. My take on Maschine is, it's a bit of a EDM/Hip Hop tool, but you can do lots of other styles with it. The built in audio interface of the MK3 I never use. So I wonder if I am really getting my moneys worth with it. But I have been using it for so long that I can't be bothered to switch.
Well I have never considered the standard Mk3 ONLY the Mikro Mk3. And I only use it as a midi controller together with Superior Drummer and all the other drum packs I have.

Well I have never considered the standard Mk3 ONLY the Mikro Mk3. And I only use it as a midi controller together with Superior Drummer and all the other drum packs I have.
I misread your post. Sorry, I thought you were looking at a standard MK3. The MK3 has colors which I think the MK3 mikro also has. For me, having the colors match whats in Maschine software helps with work flow a lot. If you are just using Mikro with SD, and in plain midi mode, maybe not that useful. I don't know how a Mikro integrates with SD.

I guess you are just doing this, but in a DAW

Well it integrates really well. You can design the different groups of pads and specify colors for kick, snare .... and with a KM macro it's easy to change set-up when I use BFD or Addictive.

I mostly use the Mikro MK3 as a drum controller or keyswitch but not really in Komplete mode
even if I have K12. Just bought a extra small keyb Keyl Ess 49 for faders and Daw control as the
Mikro does not have Daw control (or it does not work anyway). I would have preferred the Mixface
but as delivery is months away, I changed my order and got the KL49 yesterday.
It is not connected yet but I will try today to see.

Mikro MK3, for what I use is it, is a very fine controller and so light I can put it on my lap to
fingerdrum or just have fun.

I mostly use the Mikro MK3 as a drum controller or keyswitch but not really in Komplete mode
even if I have K12. Just bought a extra small keyb Keyl Ess 49 for faders and Daw control as the
Mikro does not have Daw control (or it does not work anyway). I would have preferred the Mixface
but as delivery is months away, I changed my order and got the KL49 yesterday.
It is not connected yet but I will try today to see.

Mikro MK3, for what I use is it, is a very fine controller and so light I can put it on my lap to
fingerdrum or just have fun.
Does it work with Konplete Kontrol? Os it it only works with machine software? And midid mode i guess? Thanks.

Of course and it works fine as the KK keyboard do.
Midi mode is where you switch to midi mode and pads and knobs can be assigned a
midi note or a cc number. I user the note mode of the pad for keyswitches... for now that is.
That was a thing I would love to replace with the NI.

Of course and it works fine as the KK keyboard do.
Midi mode is where you switch to midi mode and pads and knobs can be assigned a
midi note or a cc number. I user the note mode of the pad for keyswitches... for now that is.
That was a thing I would love to replace with the NI.
What you're doing is opening Ni synths like Massive in machine software pluging version right? Because i don't think Micro MK3 works with Komplete Kontrol software. Unless they've changed something? Komplete Kontrol software is different than Machine Software. NI vst/vsti can work in both software.

Correct, that's what I meant. I'm always forgetting the correct name is "Machine" but
as I never use it, I do get confused by the names.
Well, if you are adding maschine as an insert into the DAW and adding Massive as sound, then you are using Maschine.. you just aren't using all it's other features. But you are using thes scales and chords features e.t.c.

This is my experience, I tried Mikro but there were too many submenus and not enough buttons for quick workflow. So I got MK3. Love the screens and can get things going pretty quick in Maschine. I then wanted to use KK. I purchased M32 as it gave me the knobs, was cheap, small footprint, and KK but I missed the screens because I kept forgetting which knob was what when recording what I was playing live. So I moved up to a KK keyboard and love it. I replaced my main controller with the KK keyboard. So I’m super happy with MK3 and KK S controller. I’m a huge NKS fan and anything not officially supported I can find at freelancesoundlabs. I use my M32 with my iPad now and works great.

Top Bottom