What's new

NI Komplete as bread and butter?

Taj Mikel

I’m looking at picking up a NI controller and it comes with NI Komplete. There looks to be a lot of diversity there, but I’m a little skeptical of the quality/usability compared to “dedicated” kinds of libraries.

Can anyone comment on this bundle? How would it serve for layering purposes or using as a basic sound palette? I’m also looking at Metropolis Ark 1 and/or Jaeger to serve this purpose (bread and butter), but if NI Komplete is a decent contender maybe I can save some money.

Appreciate any thoughts or insight, thanks! :)

OP
Taj Mikel

Taj Mikel

I maybe should have specified my intent too :D I’m looking to produce epic cinematic and trailer music.

Thanks again! :)

OP
Taj Mikel

Taj Mikel

This is what I get for posting at work. I should also say that I currently own Oceania, Fluid Shorts, and Caspian Brass.

OP
Taj Mikel

Taj Mikel

Komplete has some great stuff. The factory library is just okay. The keys (Scarbee and Galaxy stuff) are pretty nice. I love the Rhodes and the Wurli, and Una Corda is great for layering with other pianos for some lush, different sounds.

Massive is a beast with unlimited potential for synth stuff.

However, the orchestral side is kind of underwhelming, so if that's what you're mostly after, I can't really recommend Komplete as a solution for that.

I'd also say Ark is hardly what I would consider "bread and butter," since it focuses a lot on loud and low. However, after reading your next post, it could suit you. If you like the tone of the audio demos, that's more or less the tone you get out of the box.
Thank you for the feedback!

I’ve seen some other talk that for epic stuff Ark would make a good all around library, but yeah that it has some baked in “force” to it. Very loud, etc. Do you have any experience with Jaeger? It seems to have a greater dynamic range than Ark, so it might be better for bread and butter?

I’m going for epic, but to me open doesn’t always have to be loud so Ark may not be the best choice for me right out of the gate. I do love the demo sounds h e heard though and it seems to have been rigorously “tested” by end users at this point.

Thanks again! :)

Desire Inspires

To the stars through desire....
You have to get NI Komplete, Jaeger, and Ark 1. It’s about having the whole collection and going to work with the right tools. A wrench can’t replace a screwdriver, so buy all of the tools to build your sonic empire.

bfreepro

Infinite Musical Possibilites
As far as I know the NI Komplete Kontrol only comes with select products from Komplete, at least that’s how it was for me when I bought my S25 a couple months ago, if so you won’t get many orchestral products at all. I also own KU10. I used it for about a year as my main orchestral library, but it is very limited. I think the NI Symphony Series products would be a good bargain and you’d qualify for a crossgrade price. I have Jaeger and Albion One as well. I find Albion One is wet, and quicker and easier to use right out of the box, while Jaeger is more inclusive and versatile, has more specific sections, but not as easy to sketch with, because, for example, there’s no patch for a full string ensemble. Ark goes an extra level but it’s expensive and can’t do soft dynamics, but it does include the choir. Honestly, if I had to choose just one to start with, it would probably be Jaeger, as it finds a nice middle ground and covers all your bases well. Be prepared to eventually invest in some woodwinds and probably some stronger horns and epic, punchy percussion. (ps 8dio epic framedrum perc ensembles is like 38 bucks right now).

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
Komplete is great imo. You can get inspired by so many instruments there, plus at the price it's a no brainer.

I can't recommend Met Ark 1 as a default or beginning library unless you have its complement, Met Ark 2. I'd go as far to say that you might want to just wait until Black Friday so you can have the two cheaper.

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

StillLife

I think there isn't a lot you can't do with Komplete Ultimate, musically speaking. I am on version 10 and contemplating 12, for the Guitars, Una Corda, Kontakt 6. Speaking of Kontakt: that is probably the main platform that many non N.I.-libraries are developed on and, especially when they are NKS, the integration with Komplete Kontrol is great. Komplete also includes Rise & Hit, and some Heavocity libraries that might suit your genres well. I honestly think KU is the most bang for your buck you can get in our line of work/hobby...

I'd suggest start with Komplete (Ultimate) and then add specialized libraries from other developers when you want to.

BezO

The Artisan
They now also offer the full Symphony Series with the Collector's Edition (bastards!).

I actually dig most of Symphony Series, but I don't make orchestral or cinematic music, just use elements of. They sound good to me, and the mic & section options are quite useful.

Top Bottom