What's new

NI Komplete 12

What's the biggest surprise are all the new instruments that come with Kontakt 6. Also the "Collector's Edition." They always said the Symphony Series Collection would never be in Ultimate, and I guess that's true. But I wonder if people would have bought it if they knew this was coming. It's only $200 more than a Komplete Ultimate Upgrade.

Yes, i'm afraid that I consider this to be rather underhand. But of course, now we know that this is how they operate, we'll have to be more circumspect with their promises in future.

Fool me once.....

Maschine is used a bit differently. Even though I work with templates in Cubase, I tend to not in Maschine. From a sketch standpoint, I usually start with a synth and come up with lines I like, and then build up around them. It even does a decent job working with external synths. CPU doesn't seem to be a problem. It offers a different arrangement viewpoint, so I tend to think differently when working within it, in terms of song structure. It lends itself well to the basic intro/verse/chorus/verse/bridge thing.
The original reason I bought Maschine, and one thing it is truly great at, is the sampler. And mikro is less great because of the lack of screens. The workflow with the sampler reminds me a lot more of the ASR-10 from back in the day. I sample into it, edit the samples on the hardware, resample sometimes, etc. It is much easier to use for quick samples than Kontakt is, and the screens and knobs are a lot of the reason why I love it.
It would be hard to pinpoint where my stuff goes from sketch to song. I build up sequences/scenes/loops like most, but end up with full song sections in that process. This is what I want to hand over to Maschine. Final arrangement, mix, etc would remain with Logic.

Funny, as much as I love the beat machine workflow, sampling is not a major part of my writing, though I've been sampling more lately. But now that you say that, I'd hate chopping without the screen. My focus is back on the Maschine MK3.

I chose the MPC Touch over the MK3 a while back completely unaware that it didn't support multi-output plugins. Now that I work in Komplete instead of Kontakt (multiple instruments per instance), this is only an issue with drum VIs. If I weren't looking at 5-12 passes to print drums, I would already have my solution. I love that touch screen.

Yes, i'm afraid that I consider this to be rather underhand. But of course, now we know that this is how they operate, we'll have to be more circumspect with their promises in future.

Fool me once.....
They also brought out and promoted aggressively a series of patches for Massive shortly before announcing the Massive X, which I believe will have new patches. I'm sure they'll still work, but still... people are going to want to save their money for Massive X patches.

I'm not 100% certain if Massive X will be patch-compatible with old Massive. They do mention it installs side by side somewhere...

Hmm, a bit disappointed. From what I can tell, as an owner of K11U + the full Symphony Series, there's very little here to entice me to upgrade to K12U prior to a steep sale, and no reason at all to go for the Collector's Edition (since the latter seems to just add the full Symphony Series that I already have, plus a bunch of urban-oriented expansions that I'd never use). It appears the only things of interest to me here are the K6 update, which doesn't appear to include much from an end user's perspective ... but I realize I'll probably be obligated to get it eventually, once they've worked out the bugs, in order to use future updates for my existing libraries. And then there's Thrill, which I readily admit I'd like to have. But I certainly won't be paying $399 for just those two things.

Yeah, I know Massive X is eventually coming to K12U too, but I have used Massive essentially once, for nothing more advanced than creating a sub-bass sine wave, so I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat about that update.

img-ce-meta-campaign-landing-page_06_massivex-869301ac8f73c733b62784c83271aa04-d-2.jpg
It's the blurry thumbnail of Massive X enlarged

It looks like collection of few Reaktor Blocks merged together and sold under Massive brand. Also decades-old sounds in teaser does not help. I was excited for upgraded version of my favorite synth but now I'm getting strange feeling that the real upgrade will be by Serum purchase... :unsure: I hope they quickly do detailed video where they prove that it's worthy successor of Massive.
And all I ever wanted was to get advanced envelopes only

Hmm, a bit disappointed. From what I can tell, as an owner of K11U + the full Symphony Series, there's very little here to entice me to upgrade to K12U prior to a steep sale, and no reason at all to go for the Collector's Edition (since the latter seems to just add the full Symphony Series that I already have, plus a bunch of urban-oriented expansions that I'd never use).

Much more disappointed here as K11U owner but interested in Symphony Series Upgrade at modest cost.
Like you, no interest in expansions or really anything down EDM path.

No problem _ as NI can't please all _ but $399. incl Symphony Series ( in place of unwanted stuff ) is max here. :sleep:

You may all know this (it was announced in February) but I just found out that the expansions are no longer Maschine expansions that only play in Maschine (as well as synth patches, etc) They are now just "expansions." Apparently the Maschine MIDI loops in the construction kits have been converted to Wav files. So, for example, "Amplified Funk" (not in the Ultimates) was originally 211 MB and the new version is over 2 GB. Expect that all these expansions will take up some space in your hard drive, if you want them.

As a slight cheeky shuffle OT - do those of you with access to percussion from Spitfire/EW/Berlin/Other Big Guns still use the Komplete supplied stuff like Damage, Action Strikes etc?

In reply to @Alex Fraser ...

I've never really used Action Strikes, as I had other dedicated percussion libraries before I got K11U. I've taken a look at it and considered using it, but thus far I have not done so.

I also had Damage before K11U, and used it quite a bit back then. I still use it occasionally, but not nearly as much as I would have expected, because I have so many other options now, and especially since I tend to lean towards more realistic-sounding ("old fashioned"?) cinematic cues rather than the epic hybrid stuff.

I upgraded from K8 Ultimate to K11 Ultimate at the beginning of the year on 50% off and have bought Thrill and a couple of others included in K12 so will pass until/if it goes on 50% upgrade again.

I'm not 100% certain if Massive X will be patch-compatible with old Massive. They do mention it installs side by side somewhere...

I would find it very odd/unusual with the new push to sell Massive Expansions that it wouldn't be. Actually when the Expansions went on sale, I was more confident that Massive X would be a Massive update.
We shall see.
rsp

I'm on Komplete 11, so no need for upgrade. I guess all upcoming Kontakt Libraries will still work untill a 50% Sale on Kontakt 6 Update will come next summer.

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is Massive X

im really glad they included orchestral stuff in the NI Komplete bundle, but that's at the highest tier. 1600, woof.

Hmmm. Do I need the extra 30 packs or the Symphony series. Maybe just the Ultimate update. This way my wife will only kill me faster rather then a slow painful death with the collectors price upgrade.

This is exactly where I'm at. I have KU9 and really, the KU update is sufficient. I'm pretty much covered on the orchestral front & I don't even use all the EDM/Techno/Trance samples I have so what I'd do with 30 packs more of it I have no idea! A couple of the pop/indie expansions (which I suspect I would use) are included in KU so that's my plan. Rather that than swinging by my neck from the hall light when the wife sees the credit card bill if I went Collectors...

Same boat here. KU11 and I'm not seeing anything other than the full version of the orchestral stuff, that would be useful for me and I don't feel that is worth $599.00 . The EDM stuff and developer enhancements are not something I would use. All in all, this upgrade seems like a snooze to me. I'm a new KU11 user so maybe I'm missing something?

We bought 11 and use mostly 5% of it. I assume we will never buy a newer version .... . ;)
But, I consider that from the highest level. In itself Komplete is not bad! It is just not my cup of tea .... .

Last edited:
Well, looks like I'm going to save some money. The only thing semi interesting is Kontakt 6, and that looks like it isn't that much more useful as a user than the current version.

I have so many sound files I got when I was first starting and ended never using any of them because they never are quite right. So I'm thinking a bunch of expansion packs are going to be just as useless for me. I guess it is aimed towards the Traktor users?

Top Bottom