What's new

NI Komplete 12

Kontakt already has ways of supporting MPE, as Slate+Ash Auras library showed... It doesn't need to be in the headlines.

Those "ways" of supporting MPE are absolutely brutal to implement yourself. And it isn't MPE they are supporting but round-robin MIDI channel inputs, which is itself pretty hard to get going in a lot of DAWs and doesn't really support proper recording and editing of MIDI.

But just for the record in my work this is what needs to be done in Kontakt to get something working w MPE:

* take a sample preset, say Spitfire Symphonic Swarm Clarinet Whispers
* Edit that preset to support the controllers that I want to use with my ROLI controller: pressure, up/updown
* Make that preset mono
* Then duplicate the edited preset x times (however much polyphony you want, I do six)
* Set each duplicated instance to receive a different MIDI input
* Save that one preset

I mention this to gripe, but also since I have EvilDragon's attention... could be that this is the dumb way to do it. But it takes about 15min per preset that you want to convert, at least this way.

Slate+Ash made multis but when I asked them how they said they did all this and more for 16 notes of poly, by hand, and that it was incredibly labor intensive.

A61 is cool for beginners I'd say, but the loss of LightGuide and especially displays make it a bit tough to swallow for anyone intermediate or experienced, IMHO.
I will definitely be waiting for in depth reviews, but I'm currently working without either of those features, so it's less of a loss to me than something I would choose not to invest in. I figured the bigger benefit to me would be NKS mapping at a very affordable price. Appreciate your words of caution though.

Slate+Ash made multis

Yes but for a completely different reason. If you open those multis, you get just a single instrument loaded. There was a bug that wasn't fixed prior to 5.8.1 which made per-group MIDI input setting of "omni" broken when reopening the instrument, but it worked fine when opening a multi. So regarding Auras library, if those individual patches were resaved with 5.8.1, they wouldn't need to use multis anymore.

Round robin MIDI channel input is pretty much how MPE works... and I've no problems editing such data in Reaper, say, when events are colored by MIDI channel...

Crossgrade is when you're crossgrading from a Kontakt Player powered library to Kontakt 5 full. Update is when you're just updating from previous Kontakt full version.
Can you tell us what is machine essential. ....only selected functions ? Thanks

Yes but for a completely different reason. If you open those multis, you get just a single instrument loaded. There was a bug that wasn't fixed prior to 5.8.1 which made per-group MIDI input setting of "omni" broken when reopening the instrument, but it worked fine when opening a multi. So regarding Auras library, if those individual patches were resaved with 5.8.1, they wouldn't need to use multis anymore.

Round robin MIDI channel input is pretty much how MPE works... and I've no problems editing such data in Reaper, say, when events are colored by MIDI channel...
Just in case they are not aware.

@slateandash

Thanks as always ED.

So.....it's finally here. I'll be waiting for those in depth reviews to come in also. Kontakt 6 is not something I would want to jump in on especially as I have many ongoing projects. Until we see what new bugs are going to inhibit our workflow with our DAWs it is not a risk worth taking, it's time to stand back and wait for that 50% off sale.

So, no resizable GUI in Kontakt 6?

Nope. And I don't think it will be happening because literally all the content ever made for Kontakt is using bitmaps. So if that were resizeable (as in HiDPI), you'd get a blurry mess anyways. I mean HiDPI support for the Kontakt shell might happen, but for libraries, it's not so clear-cut.

Kontakt 6 is not something I would want to jump in on especially as I have many ongoing projects.

K6 installs side by side with K5 so not really a problem there.

Actually, says so right here:

* Maschine Essentials (Full Maschine Software + 1.6GB Factory Library Selection)

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/announcing-komplete-kontrol-a-series.335577

Ooh i've been waiting for software-only Maschine. Does anyone know if this is going to be available to all, or just bundled with these keyboards? Given the expansions in Komplete, seems a strange omission to leave it out of the bundle, but I don't see any reference to it on the website anywhere.

As NI has very regular sales, does anybody know when we can expect first sales on updates (kontakt 5 to 6, komplete 11 to 12) ? Before next summer sale ?

As NI has very regular sales, does anybody know when we can expect first sales on updates (kontakt 5 to 6, komplete 11 to 12) ? Before next summer sale ?
Probably November. Not sure that I'd expect it to be as low this year or even for Komplete itself. I believe they used to do mostly single instruments in November.

Last edited:
To update K5 to K6 now or wait for a 50% sale on updates (if there is such a thing)...:shocked:

To update K5 to K6 now or wait for a 50% sale on updates (if there is such a thing)...:shocked:
I'm personally going to wait till all the bugs are worked out. Doesn't look like there are any updates to library browsing or the interface as a whole so as a user, thus far what I've seen is really disappointing. I'm sure it's much better on the developer end though.

Top Bottom