What's new

NI / Galaxy Instruments / Nils Frahm -- NOIRE

For those talking about e-vouchers, it was a flat amount this time, $25 even for those of us who bought the new expanded edition that includes the Symphony Series -- unless that's just because I skipped K11 so was coming from K10U to K12U-ExtraKomplete. I used it anyway, as Noire with felt is a luscious sound as it retains the thunderous bass.

Really thinking about to buy this since i have no 9" concert grand in my collection.
I hope next they make The Giant 2 with the Klavins Model 450i.
Or what about the Godzilla Grand with 100" :)

I just saw in a pluginguru video where he counted 22 velocity layers, not sure about round robins.
He goes a bit more in detail:

Indeed, NOIRE uses 22 dynamic layers (both, in the Pure and Felt version) and has no round robins. However, just to shine some light on our piano production technique: These 22 dynamic layers were selected out of the 70 - 100 samples, which we've recorded per key. So we did not only record the ones we used, but we've selected the best 22 samples per key for a smooth dynamic curve. More is not always better, it also has to perform right...

Cheers,
Stephan

Indeed, NOIRE uses 22 dynamic layers (both, in the Pure and Felt version) and has no round robins. However, just to shine some light on our piano production technique: These 22 dynamic layers were selected out of the 70 - 100 samples, which we've recorded per key. So we did not only record the ones we used, but we've selected the best 22 samples per key for a smooth dynamic curve. More is not always better, it also has to perform right...

Cheers,
Stephan
Out if curiosity, was the lack of RR an intentional design choice? I assume so, just curious on the reasoning/philosophy. :)

Out if curiosity, was the lack of RR an intentional design choice? I assume so, just curious on the reasoning/philosophy. :)
Hello Whiskers,

yes, this was an instrument design choice. RRs would have almost tripled the size of the library, since two RRs don't really work (three would be minimum). However, if you actually "play" the piano with a midi controller, you hardly hit the same velocity twice with 22 dynamic layers, so RRs would only be a very time, resource and cost consuming gimmick...

Cheers,
Stephan

Would like to see demos of:
1. Noire used in an orchestral context.
2. Noire used in a classical, solo context.
3. Noire used in a trailer(ish) context.

If anybody would be so kind...
NOIRE vs Ravenscroft vs Keyscape.

I did not use the same midi file, instead, i wanted to improvise on each one separately and let it guide me as i play.

- NOIRE default preset: 0:00
- Ravenscroft: 4:16
- Keyscape: 8:31
- NOIRE custom preset: 12:23

Very interesting, thank you for doing this!

Cheers,
Stephan

It is a beautiful playing piano especially for playing in an exposed situation (like solo piano or as a piano in a not too dense mix). In this context it sounds beautiful even out of the box. Tweakability is great though and what I like most is the perfect crossfade between dynamic layers. Almost like real. I haven´t used the particle sounds often but some of them could be very useful in a cinematic or pad like context. This piano might substitute my Emotional Piano from Soundiron which I otherwise like a lot.
Best regards
Raindog

One of the dipstick for me for any new library is if it is done by developer who has long term experience with that kind of stuff. If an ambient and synth samples producer suddenly make big orchestration library I am worried. But the galaxy instruments were sampling pianos forever not just for NI but also sold through Best Service. Their galaxy II K4 Vienna is among my most favorite pianos. And the stuff done for NI has also great interface to boot!
I really like when a developer stays withing its zone and refine the craft not flip-flop around like some.

Top Bottom