NI / Galaxy Instruments / Nils Frahm -- NOIRE

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by whiskers, Mar 25, 2019.

1. TomislavEP

TomislavEP New Member

I've watched some videos about "Noire" yesterday. Definitely an interesting library for me, but not so much for the piano itself but more because of that particles engine, sub tone elements etc. Every since Fracture Sounds introduced their Woodchester Piano, I'm intrigued by Kontakt piano library that has some background elements and pads already built-in, that seamlessly blend with the original piano sound. On the other hand, I have a selection of virtual pianos, especially from Native Instruments and Spitfire Audio that satisfy most of my needs for now, so I would buy Noire only as a part of the possible Komplete Update in the future. I must however say that I'm personally not too keen about Kontakt libraries and virtual instruments that recreate someone's signature sound or instrument, like in this and some other cases.

2. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018

You can do very similar with a couple of midi arpeggiators, I used the 2 in Cubase -arpache and arpachesx.

Added Midi track with direct output to main piano sound (Maverick with Una Corda layered and pitched up a bit for mechanical noise).
    Then 2 midi sends one with arpache in random to "twinkly piano left" and one with arpachesx with one of the ballad presets going to "twinkly piano right". Autopan the two twinklies with some delays layered in too and presto - Olafur Arnalds rip off without having to fork out £129. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  3. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Great respect for musicians dedicating the time and finding their own take on a sound through experimenting. You also end up with something unique too, instead of sounding like everyone else playing the same presets.

chasmanian likes this.
  4. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Nah I'm just a Yorkshireman. Tight as they come. :)

rudi, PaulBrimstone and CGR like this.
  5. fiestared

fiestared Senior Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Out of topic... lovely picture for your avatar !

scoringdreams likes this.
  6. SvenE

SvenE New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Thailand
    I got the library on Wednesday and love it. It has tons of customization options to make the sound yours. For me it is one of those sample libraries that give you immediate inspiration and I got lost playing with it for hours.

WaveRider, lpuser and CGR like this.
  7. josephspirits

josephspirits Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I guess my main question is; is there a toilet brush patch?

8. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, you need to get the N Piano if you require the Una Crappa articulation for your music.

rudi, kleotessard, SoNowWhat? and 5 others like this.
  9. josephspirits

josephspirits Member

Nov 22, 2017
    At first I thought Noire might actually be the N piano, but then I realized that Noire only has 88 keys...

I saw Nils perform last night actually and just couldn't wait to come on here and post a toilet brush comment.

10. sostenuto

sostenuto My Buddies

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    A sort of flatus performance then ?? :sick:

11. josephspirits

josephspirits Member

Nov 22, 2017
    An amazing performance, in Bflatus.

rudi, SoNowWhat? and sostenuto like this.
  12. sostenuto

sostenuto My Buddies

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Nils _ magical talent. :cool:
    Choked up imagining those toilet tools hammering Grotrian 225 Concert …. just after $500. regulation /tuning. :eek:
    THX for Link !

13. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Btw, I 'd just to commend Native Instruments for naming the Kontakt 6 plugin "Kontakt" instead of Kontakt 6. I wasted an entire hour trying to figure out why it wasn't showing up in my DAW -- next to the previous plugins named Kontakt 5 and 4. Sheeeeiiit.

rrichard63 likes this.
  14. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

A/C is a wonderful invention...Nils if you are reading, check into a fan, or a/c or some sort of cooling device. Too much talent to lose to a heart attack. I mean sweat is good and all, (sex) otherwise, most of us don't sweat that much while doing what we love (I mean again, other than, well, you know, sex and even then...) but good job.

Just check into fans.

P.S. Love Noire! No sweat!

15. scoringdreams

scoringdreams Unsuspecting Person

Jun 2, 2013
    Canberra, Australia
    Thank you, it was an accidental photo back in 2016 somewhere in Kyoto, Japan!

16. Salorom

Salorom Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I second that. The particles engine looks very interesting, but VSL’s own Yamaha CFX has a much deeper, cleaner and broader sound, in my view. It has a lot more samples, too.

17. ChristopherT

ChristopherT New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Really loving this library, although the softer/gentler side of the piano does not really bowl me over.
    So I used Noir with 100% particles (no piano blend), and place it with Emotional Piano. Solved.

The Particles engine is wonderful ! - and can be used with any other instruments because the blend function allows for taking out the piano completely and being left with just particles.

scoringdreams and CGR like this.
  18. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    It’s funny how people’s perspectives can be so different. For me, the softer dynamics is where this piano excels.

Lode_Runner and scoringdreams like this.
  19. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Different velocity response/sensitivity of the various keyboards people use maybe?

chasmanian and whiskers like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    And ears and preferences :)

SoNowWhat? likes this.