NI Blocks Base and Blocks Primes - What are They?

Discussion in 'VIRTUAL SYNTHS: Omnisphere, U-he, Reaktor, etc.' started by TigerTheFrog, Apr 14, 2019.

1. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Blocks Base and Blocks Primes suddenly appeared in Native Access with no explanation I can find from Native Instruments.

Do they add functionality for owners of Reaktor who already own Blocks?

Or are they Blocks LE -- an expansion of Komplete Start?

sostenuto likes this.
  2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    They are accompanying the latest Reaktor 6.3 update, which introduces front panel patching in a new mode called Racks.

Joe Maron, sostenuto and TigerTheFrog like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Okay, I was partially right about the LE version.

Blocks Base is kind of an intro to Reaktor Blocks. It comes with 24 simple blocks and 30 preset racks. You can see the blocks HERE. It is included free with Komplete Start, so people who have that will see it in Native Access.

Blocks Primes ($99) adds 23 much more sophisticated blocks and 50 preset racks, divided into categories: Kodiak, West Coast (Buchla-inspired), Boutique (synths of the past), Modern (state-of-the-art), Digilog, and NI All Stars (based on Monark and Rounds, as well as Driver). You can see these blocks HERE

Both run in Reaktor Player. Both are included in all versions of Komplete or if you own full Reaktor.
    They both synch up with hardware through CV with the Connectivity Module.

More blocks and racks will be sold by third parties, and can be used by anybody who has Blocks Base.

EDIT: Toybox, a collection of 130 blocks, divided into 4 sets, has already been released.
    The first set is free, and includes 44 modules.

What I don't know is whether this works inside Blocks, or whether it is just a separate modular setup for Reaktor, similar to Blocks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    It's not an intro to Blocks. It's an intro to Racks :)

It works inside the new Rack mode in Reaktor. Consider this as an updated version of Blocks that has front-panel patching.

TigerTheFrog likes this.
  5. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I've not had a chance to play around with this yet but combined with the free stuff from Toybox this seems like a lot of good content for free.

6. geronimo

geronimo Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    In the Patch view, we can just use Blocks and can' t use macros to buid new Ensemble. :sad:

7. OP
    OP
    TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the clarification, @EvilDragon But isn't Blocks new to all Komplete Start users?

When I asked, "What I don't know is whether this works inside Blocks, or whether it is just a separate modular setup for Reaktor, similar to Blocks," I was only asking about Toybox. But I think the answer is yes, Toybox modules do work within Blocks.

8. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    There's also Euroreakt free edition that is Racks compatible (unlike the one currently available in the User Library):
    https://www.unfilteredaudio.com/collections/reaktor/products/euro-reakt-free-edition
    with a sale on the full package (also Racks compatible).

I guess going after Modular/VCV with making Rocks not compatible with "free" modules (ie ones you don't have to register in NativeAccess), making it easier to monetize them.

Fun to use, until you forget and try and add a free module in and can't.
    Scrapped a few Racks and just rebuilt as ensembles where you can use both the new Racks kit and everything from the Library too.

At least they haven't killed the old stuff.... yet.
    Given some of the disappointing directions they've taken since the buyout I don't think it's guaranteed they won't (even though they've taken to the forums to swear blind they won't).

TigerTheFrog likes this.
  9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    That's the point of Racks, and what enables small Rack files which can be stored along with your host project, instead of huge ensembles like previously with Blocks.

Toybox are Blocks. They are just created with Racks in mind, but you can use them like you used Blocks so far, in ensemble mode. However, there are certain things not yet possible in ensemble mode (no wire coloring, wirings aren't stored in snapshots), so it is advised to use them in Racks.

That won't happen. Reaktor user library remains free and accessible to everyone. It's the true strength of Reaktor, and everyone at NI is aware of that. It's not going anywhere.

Buyout? Capital investment doesn't equate buyout.