What's new

"Newbie" question...

Mozilla_User

Longtime_no_see :) I have a question for Paoling, but anyone can answer:
Hi Paoling. Can you send me a link, good for me to understand modern custom scripting? I intend to create a vertical fader, can you post here the scripting for it?
Any answer would be appreciated.
P.S. I remember Big Bob (RIP) did a script to demonstrate all the ".px" graphics, but I can't find it right now. Shame on me, I should have copied & stored it. Sorry.
Mozilla User

Last edited:
You just need to use a custom picture for the slider that is going to be vertical. The stock slider graphic cannot be changed to vertical.

Thanks Paoling,that makes sense. But I think there also has to be a definition file, vith all the stuff needed - what is the background, what is the moving part, dimensions, how many frames, etc - at least, this file existed in Big Bob's post. Can you provide it, or give me a link where all this stuff is explained? Thanks a lot for your explanations, and please don't let me down!

Last edited:
Oy :)
Please don't ket me down. I think lots of us need it.
I'm convinced you have a vertical fader somewhere, no matter how basical. How about writing a tutorial?

Last edited:
Listen, KSP Wizard. you are a genius. You don`t need no tutorial. I`m a stupidoid, so I need it. I don`t understand why there is a `Horizontal Animation`there, but there is no `Vertical Animation`. I don`t understand why all those four fancy `Fixed something` do exist, but in all (2) examples they stay forever fixed at `0`. I dont understand lots of such things, but if you refuse to enlighten me, what can I do? Anyway, maybe someone else would care to help me. Thanks for your whatever. Be well, like me.
So, is there anyone willing to help me and putting a little script able to help me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don`t understand why there is a `Horizontal Animation`there, but there is no `Vertical Animation`.

Because if "Horizontal animation" is saying "no", then it's automatically vertical. This just means how the frames in the PNG are laid out - vertically or horizontally. It can't be any other way. It doesn't flip your slider, it's how the PNG filmstrip is oriented.

I don`t understand why all those four fancy `Fixed something` do exist, but in all (2) examples they stay forever fixed at `0`. I dont understand lots of such things, but if you refuse to enlighten me, what can I do?

Those are there for resizeable controls like buttons and menus, to keep the fixed parts while repeating the rest of the button with non-fixed parts. Kinda hard to explain like this. But more importantly, it doesn't apply to movable things like knobs or sliders. So set it all to 0 for your knob or slider.

In any case for sliders all you need to know is the first three lines. Most likely alpha channel is always gonna be "yes", horiz animation depends on how the PNG is oriented as I said, and number of frames should be self-explanatory.

Thank you, gentlemen. Both of you helped me a lot. Evil Dragon said something about the NI forum, and I found there a script, a vertical fader and the test program. I d-loaded them, they worked from the start. But there are some problems which I can` t understand:
1.The frames the Slider 1.png are not continuously one after another. There are huge spaces between them. WTF ?
2. I don`t find no position specified.
3. There is a second fader in the images folder. I tried to replace, in the script, the Slider 1.png with the second fader (the definition files are identical) but it did`t work at all. Of course, Evil Dragon knows the file, maybe he can answer here in more depth. Thanks.

1. This just depends how the PNG was created. Obviously when you create your own vertical slider, you should take care not to have too much empty space.
2. Position is specified in the script, there are commands for that (see KSP reference).

Actually I don't know the file, if you linked to the thread that would make more sense.

Evil Dragon said:
"Actually I don't know the file, if you linked to the thread..."
Well if I would damn find it again...I think you even aswered to the gent. His post came a little bit later, it had do do with "Test.zip" or something. My search was for "vertical slider" or "custom vertical slider" or whatever :)
If I would know how to put it here, or if you give me your e-mail addy, I would do it. Me...old stupidoid :-(
ok, I found it.

Attachments

• Test.zip
    265.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So what's the problem? In the script, instead of "Slider01" you write "Fader_anim_neu" and it will work just fine.

So what's the problem?
Oh, are you really sure? On this rig (Kontakt 5.5). or on my music computer (K 5.1 and K 5.3)...I insert "Fader_anim_neu", but to see... comes only the STANDARD HORIZONTAL FADER.
If you look at both files, Slider01's vertical has 25400 px, but Fader_anim_'s is only 16256 px. I'm convinced someting is wrong in the script or in the text file.

Last edited:
Nope, Fader_anim_neu is also vertical. It's just smaller in height than the other one. If you drag it up/down, you will see that it's vertical.

Top Bottom