Newbie question regarding Film Scoring

NoamL

Winter <3
I usually used an in-chained compressor to compress music tracks with the SoundFX or Dialogue audio track detection.
This is a terrific way to make your music have all kinds of unnatural pumping sounds when they change the edit at the last minute!

rrichard63

Perpetual Novice
... (mostly for documentaries). ...
For documentaries in which most of the speech is voiceover narration, some of the ideas in this thread might be useful:

• Love
Reactions: Ray

Illico

Samuel Le Tonquèze
This is a terrific way to make your music have all kinds of unnatural pumping sounds when they change the edit at the last minute!
Yes, I agree with you... it's terrific :crying:. (the pump effect shoud not be printed on music stem of course...) But, for some, that do the job on finale mix.

Last edited:

labornvain

I agree with the advice that optimally you would want to write around the dialogue. But you said you're doing a documentary with a music bed, and that suggests to me that you don't have the time or budget to do such a sophisticated composition.

If that's the case then it goes back to your original question, which, is is there a way to lower the volume automatically when the dialogue occurs.

Some people suggested using a compressor to duck the volume of the music. This is the traditional way of achieving this effect. But there is a better way thanks to a wonderful little plugin called Trackspacer.

Instead of just lowering the volume, which is usually kind of obvious and tacky sounding, it lowers just the frequencies of the soundtrack that are drowning out the dialogue track.

It works similarly to a compressor but in a much more sophisticated way. It takes the audio that you want to attenuate and divides it into 32 EQ bands so it effectively carves space around the dialogue track, achieving the desired effect, but with much more transparency.

It also doesn't butcher your music has it works.

I know I sound like an advertisement, but I assure you have no affiliation with the company or the developer. I'm just a fan. It may be the most useful plugin I've acquired in 10 years.

thorwald

I agree with the advice that optimally you would want to write around the dialogue. But you said you're doing a documentary with a music bed, and that suggests to me that you don't have the time or budget to do such a sophisticated composition.

If that's the case then it goes back to your original question, which, is is there a way to lower the volume automatically when the dialogue occurs.

Some people suggested using a compressor to duck the volume of the music. This is the traditional way of achieving this effect. But there is a better way thanks to a wonderful little plugin called Trackspacer.

Instead of just lowering the volume, which is usually kind of obvious and tacky sounding, it lowers just the frequencies of the soundtrack that are drowning out the dialogue track.

It works similarly to a compressor but in a much more sophisticated way. It takes the audio that you want to attenuate and divides it into 32 EQ bands so it effectively carves space around the dialogue track, achieving the desired effect, but with much more transparency.

I know I sound like an advertisement, but I assure you have no affiliation with the company or the developer. I'm just a fan. It may be the most useful plugin I've acquired in 10 years.
No worries, I sound like an advertisement too, when it comes to plugins by HornetPlugins, so you are definitely not alone.

Waves Factory is a great developer, they have very nice instruments and plugins (e.g. Cassette). This is the solution for my suggestion of using a match EQ.

For anyone interested, the plugin can be found here: https://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer/

OP
Ray

Ray

Trackspacer - purchased, currently downloading :)

Thanks a whole lot! I've also thought about sidechaining, but didn't think it was possible. This is great, great news.