What's new

VSL Synchron Percussion II

Ben

VSL

It's time to extend our Synchron Percussion with the second installment: Synchron Percussion II

Adding 5 Timpanis played with soft mallets, 10 Taikos, 6 Roto-toms, Bass Drum 2, Tam-tam 3, Burma Gongs, 5 China Gongs, Vibraphone, Crotales, Plate Bells, 3 Temple Bells, 2 Thundersheets, Wind machine, Rainmaker, 3 Ratchets, 2 Vibraslaps, 3 Slapsticks, Lion's Roar, 2 Waldteufel, Log Drums, and finally 4 Anvils :)

334,817 Samples and 7 mic positions with many velocity layers (from ppp to fff) and round-robins will give you sounds that are as close to the real instruments as possible.

Including MIDI loops that can be used (tempo-synced) with the Synchron Player's MIDI Player, and drag'n'dropped into your DAW to edit them further!
And if you already own Synchron Percussion I, check out the library updates in MyVSL that will add compatibility to SY Percussion II as well as new MIDI loops. And on this occasion we lowered the prices for Synchron Percussion I as well (Standard: €495; Full: €890; prices for the parts lowered as well)!

Get it as Synchron Percussion II Collection (Std: €345 instead of €495; Full €625 instead of €890), or the seperat collections:
Listen to the demos on the product pages!

[Edit: Fixed wrong pricing for Synchron Percussion II Collection, Standard and Full]

Last edited:
midi files in the player?
Yes, it was there for a long time :)
You can even add you custom MIDI loops, ostinatos or runs and drag'n'drop them into your DAW, including support for multiple tracks!

Really liking the synchron system and also where its going. I have brought in my own midi loops for Dorado and it works well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Sounds great as usual, but Synchron percussion still has a still a dearth of snare drums and no marimba :(

@Rich4747 Time-stretching is a powerful, bud also a very demanding feature. Generally we suggest to only use the RoomMix mic when using this feature during live playback.

You could easily do that by creating a copy of the Synchron Player instance you set up. Then mute this instance and work with the copy, where you only activate the main-mic (and don't use velocity xfade combined with stretching during live playback). For mix-down simply unmute the first instance and mute the second one.
We will probably take a look at this topic in future and see if we can improve performance of time-stretching during real-time playback.

Last edited:
Holy cow(bell), that's quite the collection! And unexpected to boot; I really didn't think VSL would ever do a new Vibraphone library.

I'm especially curious to see what was used for the anvils, as it is so hard to come by musical anvils to purchase (I've been trying for years now) and blacksmith anvils are a bit, uh, bulky. Grover Pro has two models with two pitches each, and they sound good but unconvincing as actual anvils.

Hopefully I can find time to listen and look a bit later today. I'm pretty sleepless these days, between massive pro bono work and interviewing. But as it happens, I woke up like a bolt early (unfortunately) this morning, with a new tune whose arrangement I jotted down in full immediately, and which will likely call upon this new collection. :) I must be clairvoyant.

The link above (which I haven't clicked yet) is a reminder that I own Power Drums and keep forgetting about it. I think it's because it doesn't get much buzz. I was curious about its motivation at first, but then the pianos came along, and the concept of multiple stage positions and potentially multiple kits made more sense.

I'm going to compare Synchron Percussion I & II stage positions too, to see if they are set up in advance for slightly different positioning, in case a player might switch mid-stream. I've seen this done in some performances, and of course it will sound more realistic if the alternate bass drum (for instance) isn't in the exact same spot as the main one. But it's easy enough to do in one's own custom Synchron mixes.

Reactions: Ben
The link above (which I haven't clicked yet) is a reminder that I own Power Drums and keep forgetting about it. I think it's because it doesn't get much buzz. I was curious about its motivation at first, but then the pianos came along, and the concept of multiple stage positions and potentially multiple kits made more sense.

Synchron power drums are fantastic recordings. The demos focus on drum battles and heavily effected stuff, but there are some pristine drum recordings at the bottom of this that, like everything else IMO, sound terrific in Synchron stage.

It's time to extend our Synchron Percussion with the second installment: Synchron Percussion II

Adding 5 Timpanis played with soft mallets, 10 Taikos, 6 Roto-toms, Bass Drum 2, Tam-tam 3, Burma Gongs, 5 China Gongs, Vibraphone, Crotales, Plate Bells, 3 Temple Bells, 2 Thundersheets, Wind machine, Rainmaker, 3 Ratchets, 2 Vibraslaps, 3 Slapsticks, Lion's Roar, 2 Waldteufel, Log Drums, and finally 4 Anvils :)

334,817 Samples and 7 mic positions with many velocity layers (from ppp to fff) and round-robins will give you sounds that are as close to the real instruments as possible.

Including MIDI loops that can be used (tempo-synced) with the Synchron Player's MIDI Player, and drag'n'dropped into your DAW to edit them further!
And if you already own Synchron Percussion I, check out the library updates in MyVSL that will add compatibility to SY Percussion II as well as new MIDI loops. And on this occasion we lowered the prices for Synchron Percussion I as well (Standard: €495; Full: €890; prices for the parts lowered as well)!

Get it as Synchron Percussion II Collection (Std: €495 instead of €795; Full €890 instead of €1490), or the seperat collections:
Listen to the demos on the product pages!

I’ll be buying Synchron Percussion I and II soon.

Synchron Timpani II is the best sounding timpani ever! And, waiting for the marimba be adding to the synchron family :D

Am I able to purchase Timpani II if I don't have Timpani I?

I'm going through the individual sub-collections now, listening to demos, comparing features, and am astounded. I'll have to compare the Timpani to Volume I and Vienna Instruments, as I've been using both of them still and I can't remember if I sometimes found Volume I too aggressive or if there was a difference in how the rolls are handled and I thus needed to retain usage of the original VI version.

The Vibraphone is amazing, and possibly the most deeply recorded one yet. It's a Musser and I usually prefer Yamaha but I also always like to have both at hand as they have very different colour. Also, I use Bowed Vibraphone and Bowed Crotales now and then, and have been having to use tiny sample sets from large catch-all collections so far.

I'm definitely at least buying Mallets II and a couple of the others; it may not make sense to grab the full collection as I don't have DSD space for them anyway, even if I shove the SYNCHRON-ized stuff back to HDD.

I'm curious whether the Timpani stuff blends together between II and I as combined patches so that you can use the switching keys and CC's to go between them. I actually doubt this is even possible as I don't think the patches have the ability to reach between separately packaged libraries, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If one starts piecemeal, does it end up costing a lot more, or do the prices of the complete collection (standard and full) keep factoring into one's loyalty price?

Another question is whether one can buy the standard collection, then cherry-pick one or two sub-collections to upgrade to the full edition.

I never considered this before, as I don't do surround sound work, so I skipped the full editions up until the piano libraries changed how those were formulated (extra close and mid mics). But I think it is at least the case with newer libraries that working in stereo also benefits from the surround mic down-mixes.

Would it be possible to identify which audio demos use the full vs. standard editions?

I'm curious whether the Timpani stuff blends together between II and I as combined patches so that you can use the switching keys and CC's to go between them. I actually doubt this is even possible as I don't think the patches have the ability to reach between separately packaged libraries, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Of course this works. We are even using it in our presets https://www.vsl.info/instruments/synchron/percussion-ii#drums-toms-all

But I think it is at least the case with newer libraries that working in stereo also benefits from the surround mic down-mixes.
It's the case with all Synchron Libraries.

Congrats on the great release! My only concern is the outlook of the price once all parts of the series will be completed ... now, the full series for surround is 2500€. from the missing instruments, it is clear that there will be at least another installment of the series and with that one the full series will probably be somewhere around 3400€. I appreciate that Synchron is striving to become the most detailed library on the market, but even considering all sales, this percussion library will cost more than most complete orchestral collections on the market, otherwise.

For percussion I would probably go for Synchron (I already got SY Percussion I). But looking at the outlook of spendings for getting all of them for my 5.1 surround environment, I am not so sure anymore.

Top Bottom