New version of energetic piece

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by ryst, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:04 AM.

1. ryst

ryst www.nathandanielmusic.com

Apr 16, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

I posted this maybe a year or two ago but it wasn't finished. I finally revisited it to give it a final mix and added a few elements I thought it needed to "bring it on home".

Anyway, feedback on the track and mix is much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:22 PM
  2. scottbuckley

scottbuckley Active Member

Very cool - love the setup! I didn't expect the driving epic middle section, but it somehow works quite well! I noticed a bit of compression squishiness around 1:31, but other than that it's pretty great. Thanks for sharing :D

3. tehreal

tehreal Active Member

Sep 6, 2017
    My honest opinion is that I was very enchanted in the beginning but when it evolved by immediately being repeated with aggressive epic orchestration I became confused. Not saying it can't go epic at some point but if you worked the phrases some more to do add some evolution via thematic/harmonic variation, etc. while keeping the orchestration small it may be more grabbing. Overall nice work though.

4. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Like the the others I found the opening catchy and enchanting but was surprised by the epically inclined middle section. That kind of change might work in a dramatic context where the motivation for the shift would come from the action but as a stand alone piece the middle is a bit puzzling—though it works well enough. Then, too, the return of the beginning at the end makes it seem as though the epic middle was of little consequence. Again, I can see it working in a dramatic context but on its own it's less clear what the piece is doing.

5. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev New Member

Jan 4, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    ryst

Apr 16, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's an interesting critique (tehreal & jbuhler). I come from a rock background and more and more often, the rock and experimental stuff I write is, well....more experimental. I often like to change directions when I'm writing and go in unanticipated directions. But it's all subconscious anyway as I have zero formal training and I just follow my instincts. So I use that same intuition when I'm writing orchestral or film score stuff. I don't know the rules so I just make up my own. I guess that can have both a positive and negative effect.

Anyway, I appreciate the criticism as I'm always wanting to improve!

7. Amicus

Amicus New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I really enjoyed this one. I definitely found the intimate vs the epic parts to be an odd juxtaposition, but I honestly quite liked it. Charming and intense at the same time, which is strikes me as being tricky to pull off. :)

8. OP
    OP
    ryst

Apr 16, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Scott. That was bugging me too. I realized I had the accidentally had the cymbals going through the perc bus and it was getting over compressed. Fixed!

scottbuckley likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ryst

Apr 16, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thank you, Amicus!