What's new

New user demo's with the Sample Modeling violin

Erik

Hi,

Herewith a few tracks made with the Sample Modeling violin. They are all very exposed, no orchestra behind the violin, only with Schindler's List a harp (since there is harp in the original embedded already) and the piano in the Brahms mockup. So full attention for the violin in theses fragments of the original pieces.
Main question: how does this products behaves in different styles?

First the https://www.erikotte.nl/blog/SamMod/01BachPrelude_SWAM_vlB.mp3 (Prelude from the Sonata No.1 of Bach for violin solo), more in the recent baroque style of playing. So no (old fashioned) over-the-top vibrato here.

From the same https://www.erikotte.nl/blog/SamMod/02BachPresto_SWAM_vlB.mp3 (Sonata a fragment from the Presto). This up-tempo requires much of any product.

Now for the romantic music: https://www.erikotte.nl/blog/SamMod/03Brahms_SonateVlPi_SWAM3.mp3 (the beginning of the first Sonate for violin and piano of Johannes Brahms).

Fourth track: https://www.erikotte.nl/blog/SamMod/04SchindlersList-SWAM-B.mp3 (Schindler's List.) I made a quite special arrangement this time for only violin and harp (!). I hope you'll like this one, full vibrato here.

I know that many people here regard (most) SamMod-demo's of their string products soundwise as fake, synthy etc.. I have done my utmost to demonstrate that this violin has much more possibilities than their viola and violoncello. Maybe you'll still disagree however.
I have spend many hours with these tracks and enjoyed the potential of expression possiblities very very much. To be honest: so far I never would have had better results in this respect with all other products on my HD, but, I know, that could be my lack of skills maybe.

Last edited:
Very impressive @Erik and I enjoyed listening. In my opinion the weakest was the Schindler's List. The phrases were attacked too aggressively. Just my opinion. The first three tracks were very musical. I have not personally tried any Sample Modeling instruments. What is wrong with the cello and viola?

@paul, thanks for your compliments. In fact was Schindler's List the very first one I made with the SM-violin. I'll consider certainly to make a new and better one. Maybe you could help me with this one (via PM?).

The viola and the violoncello don't have the overall-OK-feel-good-sound of the violin imo. There remains a kind of hollow and moreover annoyingly unreal sound in the lower and mid regions (a lack of real body, string air etc.), whatever CC in SWAM or EQ plugin I customize. I sincerely hope that they will solve this once at SM. The violin is really promising I think.

Excellent work! I agree the SM violin is the best of the three. Even a real violin has a cleaner sound than the same pitches played on a viola.
Re: Schindler. Super phrasing. I would use a slightly slower vibrato rate, and, somehow, slighly mushier note-ons.
Re: Prelude. The medium-fast runs could use a touch of vibrato from the start of each note to imitate fingerfalls and lifts.
Re; Presto. Very convincing. Perhaps insert Measures of 1/64 rests between phrases?
RE: Brahms. Super phrasing and vibrato. Maybe more "air" beween certain phrases?

Last edited:
Excellent work! I agree the SM violin is the best of the three. Even a real violin has a cleaner sound than the same pitches played on a viola.
Re: Schindler. Super phrasing. I would use a slightly slower vibrato rate, and, somehow, slighly mushier note-ons.
Re: Prelude. The medium-fast runs could use a touch of vibrato from the start of each note to imitate fingerfalls and lifts.
Re; Presto. Very convincing. Perhaps insert Measures of 1/64 rests between phrases?
RE: Brahms. Super phrasing and vibrato. Maybe more "air" beween certain phrases?
Thanks Vardaro! Very detailed comments here. I see what I can do with these comments. In the meantime I am working on a test of all string products dedicated to the 1st movement of the Octet of Mendelssohn. Not yet ready yet, maybe in due course I'll share here the result. To be honest, I am eagerly waiting for the updates of SM as they pronounced recently.

Top Bottom