New track from a Dark Fantasy game I'm currently scoring.

Hey everyone,

I recently started scoring a fantasy game. This is my first time finally getting to score in this genre (I've done about 20 games so far, but haven't gotten this lucky yet).

Just wanted to share the main theme/first track with you all. Bought CSS, Spitfire Percussion, and Albion One to do this score.

Here's the list of instruments used here:

Fantasy instruments: Medieval Era II

Brass: Cinebrass CORE and PRO, some from Albion One
Strings: Mix of Albion One and CSS

Guitar dulcimer parts played by me.

Feedback would be appreciated if you'd like to give it, but I'm not specifically asking for it. The tracks already been approved by the devs so chances of me changing it are minimal. Just wanted to share it with people here and see if it resonates with anyone. :)

markleake

Recovering sale addict
Hi Matthew, I like what you've done. The first listen through I noticed that the strings seem a bit robotic sometimes. CSS is capable of much more emotion than I think you are getting out of them currently when they double with the flute melody (1:10+).

Also in terms of mixing, the stringed instruments (psalteries?) sound very wide. Is that intentional?

OP
MatthewHarnage
Hi Matthew, I like what you've done. The first listen through I noticed that the strings seem a bit robotic sometimes. CSS is capable of much more emotion than I think you are getting out of them currently when they double with the flute melody (1:10+).

Also in terms of mixing, the stringed instruments (psalteries?) sound very wide. Is that intentional?
Thanks for the feedback. That may be because the strings through are actually Albion One. CSS is only used as an inner layer for the string parts. The bulk of the string sound is Albion One. Maybe some less of Albion and more of CSS in the mix would add to the expression?

I think you're actually talking about the Lute and Baroque guitar. There is no Psaltery here, but some of the instruments in Era sound very similar. And yeah, I have the Lute to the left, and the the guitar on the right. So it does come across as wide, even though though the only stereo widening I did was on the strings (inside Albion's interface). So it is somewhat intentional with the main "riff" throughout. But its meant to separate them, not widen the whole track.