What's new

New Synth suggestions

NateVH

Hey guys I'm looking to pick up a new synth but I'm not sure which one to get. What I want is a synth mainly for underscoring (I think thats the right term) for pads, drones, and rhythmic stuff to sit under the orchestra. Something like at the 7:00 minute mark a synth comes in with the string ostinati (there are a million examples but this is the only one I could find easily).

I've been looking at Zebra but I just want to make sure it will do what I need it to. The second thing I want to mention is that I'm not a synth expert by any stretch. I know basic waveforms types and very basic LFO stuff but I would like a library that is easy to use and get a good sound out of but would also help me learn synth sound design. Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

Zebra has a steeper learning curve but that pays out later, its not so much for fast results because there are plenty of ways for the same stuff. You need and should learn the whole thing to use its potential…which takes a while.

Pigments or similar for fast results that are easier to follow, but lack some fidelity.

Hey guys I'm looking to pick up a new synth but I'm not sure which one to get. What I want is a synth mainly for underscoring (I think thats the right term) for pads, drones, and rhythmic stuff to sit under the orchestra. Something like at the 7:00 minute mark a synth comes in with the string ostinati (there are a million examples but this is the only one I could find easily).

I've been looking at Zebra but I just want to make sure it will do what I need it to. The second thing I want to mention is that I'm not a synth expert by any stretch. I know basic waveforms types and very basic LFO stuff but I would like a library that is easy to use and get a good sound out of but would also help me learn synth sound design. Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

The fact that the composer of said clip used Zebra as a softsynth for better than 10 years makes me think that Zebra is the choice you want.

edit: Also I'm sure that those sounds are included in the Dark Zebra which said composer released along with his Zebra programmer the legendary Howard Scar.

Tracktion Abyss (look up the thread)

For all other purposes:
Zebra, Pigments 3, Falcon 2, Phaseplant are all solid picks for what you’re looking for

And there is of course Omnisphere
Abyss sounds great. I've actually seen it before and I love the ambience but I wasn't sure if it was a one trick pony so to speak. As for Omnisphere, I know its insanely powerful and flexible but it's very intimidating. I think its more a long term goal ;)

Zebra has a steeper learning curve but that pays out later, its not so much for fast results because there are plenty of ways for the same stuff. You need and should learn the whole thing to use its potential…which takes a while.

Pigments or similar for fast results that are easier to follow, but lack some fidelity.
What i want to say is, that cinematical sounds can take up a lot of planning and thinking before even touching the synth.
So would it be better to ignore the ease of use aspect and just go for sound with the intention to learn the program itself? And if so would Zebra still be the right choice or would another synth work better for what I want?

I don't think Zebra is actually difficult to use - it's just that there are loads of different features. But the modular nature of it means you can just load up nothing but one oscillator unit and explore that for days.

The fact that the signal path is always staring at you in the face from the middle of the UI makes it much easier understand than some other synths.

It might be good to find a free subtractive and/or FM synth to learn the very basics first though. I started out in FL Studio with Sytrus, and while I don't necessarily recommend Sytrus, I think it ultimately gave me a good lower-level understanding of synth basics. Had I started with Zebra, it would have been too easy to happen upon "cool" (at least to a beginner) sounds without understanding what the synth is actually doing.

I mean, Zebra/Dark Zebra is literally used in the clip you are referencing. It’s an insanely powerful synth that can do pretty much anything. Just takes some time to learn it or do plenty of preset surfing.

Vital
Surge

Both free. Both excellent. Some awesome freebies around, I'd check those before I spent a penny.

I would like to add that while Zebra is literally one of (the only?) synth used in that very track, and Dark Zebra includes some of the patches used in it, something like Vital is free, powerful, and gives you more visual feedback as to where your modulation is going, what your filters are doing, what is happening to your waveforms, and so on. Even if you don't stick with it, it's a great learning tool to pave the way to thinking about more complex patching.

It's not just that the visual makes it easier to use, but also from my own experience it helps you connect the dots of what you are doing faster, and makes moving to a synth with less visual cues more straightforward once you have a little intuition with complex signal routing and mangling.

Zebra also has a demo that functions on a timer before it starts outputting a set pattern of notes that you can no longer control. That being said, you can still just practice building sounds on it to your heart's content until you decide you want to make the purchase or not!

Yeah I didn't feel Zebra was esp more or less difficult to use than most synths, but I feel that way about most synths - IMO it's much more about knowing "synth theory" - if you have that, you can pick up most synths similarly.

Vital
Surge

Both free. Both excellent. Some awesome freebies around, I'd check those before I spent a penny.
I would like to add that while Zebra is literally one of (the only?) synth used in that very track, and Dark Zebra includes some of the patches used in it, something like Vital is free, powerful, and gives you more visual feedback as to where your modulation is going, what your filters are doing, what is happening to your waveforms, and so on. Even if you don't stick with it, it's a great learning tool to pave the way to thinking about more complex patching.

It's not just that the visual makes it easier to use, but also from my own experience it helps you connect the dots of what you are doing faster, and makes moving to a synth with less visual cues more straightforward once you have a little intuition with complex signal routing and mangling.

Zebra also has a demo that functions on a timer before it starts outputting a set pattern of notes that you can no longer control. That being said, you can still just practice building sounds on it to your heart's content until you decide you want to make the purchase or not!
Thanks! I'm definitely going to download the demo (didn't even know that was a thing) and I'm going to get the free version of Vital. That sounds like a great way to start learning more in depth practices. I should clarify I have basic knowledge I'm just not a synth wizard. On a semi related note, and I know this technically isn't the right place to post this but do any of you have any suggestions of tutorials, synth basics to get started?

On the subject of great free synths, don’t forget “Zebralette,” “Podolski,” and “TyrellN6.” Lots of great free soundpacks for them, too, with presets by the likes of Howard Scarr.

Last edited:
Top Bottom