What's new

New Studio PC - Advice Needed

I prefer a self build as you have more control over component choice which also makes it easier to build a quiet PC.
I would look at 2666MHz RAM which the CPU supports.

I followed that advice of yours (and the other guys) and build a machine by myself. Now everything is installed, but there is still the big question of which sound card I need to buy. As written before I always used my 1010lt, but it doesn't fit into the new Gigabyte mainboard. :/ I guess the on-board sound isn't worth a penny?

Any ideas, for a great sound card between 100 and 250 USD possibly? ...or any ideas on good manufactures? What I'd need is pretty basic; 2 output jacks for my masters speakers, maybe one microphone XLR input, and another midi input too for my master keyboard, but those two least would be optional, especially as Midi seems to be sorta out-dated, and USB perfectly is way more commonly used.

PS: getting slightly off-topic; I have quite some tearing when I watch videos. What can I do about it? I'm using a 27 HP LCD, and the graphics chip is an inbuild one by Intel. The device list just says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Is this possibly an indicator for a not-properly installed graphic unit/display driver?

Cheers!
-https://fredericbernardmusic.com (Frederic)

Now everything works wonderfully, just with the exception of sound! But possibly because as I have to update the sound card drivers once again. Though, is there anyone of you guys who is still using in-build sound solutions these days? The in-build sound card of the Gigabyte main board received a lot of praises, but I guess it's optimized for gaming, not professional music production. So I wonder if it's worth to use the in build maybe for a short time as a placeholder?

Further, how much would you spend for the sound card, generally speaking? Any ideas on a great card for 2020? Pity that a 1010lt M-audio card wont fit in! Just as of the plethora of out- and inputs it was delivering.

Cheers!

I think HZ said he used dell servers with little to no problems. Not sure if that is still the case though as I haven't seen his studio in years now. But, back when I was hanging around there all I saw was dozens and dozens of dell servers and Vision DAW. So you can't knock pre-built machines.

Yeah I thought everything was from Vision DAW. You’ve worked at RCP?

So, I've decided for the Focusrite Solo interface (3rd gen). Latency etc. all seems great, but is it just me, or does this interface really applies a quite big low end/bass emphasis?

2 Stereo Outputs, 1 XLR input, and one headphone output is actually all what I need right now, so that's fine with the current interface. But I wonder if there are interfaces for maybe 200 or even 300-400 USD which give a much better sound. Compared to a low budge interface; is the difference in sound quality really stunning, or actually just a subtle improvement?

Cheers!

Top Bottom