What's new

New Spitfire video - Homay shows us how to create epic cinematic sounding cues

She is an especially effective demonstrator, I enjoy her compositions and her productions. I do wish she was a little more comfortable in front of the camera, that did put me off until I listened to one of her demos. She has serious chops.

What does "cinematic sound" mean anyway? When I search youtube it seems like that term has been reduced to "it sounds like pseudo-zimmer-glassian-minimalism-batman track".

Like ok, but remember those times when Williams or Herrmann were composing for cinema? :laugh: Guess that's not "cinematically sounding" enough for these days. :roflmao:

Seriously I have yet to find a youtube video about "cinematic music" that sounds anything like those two guys.

Seriously I have yet to find a youtube video about "cinematic music" that sounds anything like those two guys.

And in 10 or 20 years, searching for that term will reveal yet another set of trends that probably won't sound much like Zimmer or Glass.

What does "cinematic sound" mean anyway? When I search youtube it seems like that term has been reduced to "it sounds like pseudo-zimmer-glassian-minimalism-batman track".

Like ok, but remember those times when Williams or Herrmann were composing for cinema? :laugh: Guess that's not "cinematically sounding" enough for these days. :roflmao:

honestly i think it's one of those overused terms nowadays, with everyone having a slightly different definition. 'Would fit well as a soundtrack' is generally how I take that term to mean, which, in and of itself, is subjective to each listener (IMO)

Couldn't agree more... I mean, it's quite clear this old recipe of loud horns, a few ppp piano notes, string chords and some sub booms isn't that effective anymore. But for potential clients it might be tempting, I guess.

I think it's important here to understand that Spitfire, as long as I've bought from them, tailor their libraries and demos to the zeitgeist of the time. They stray away from it sometimes in order to reel in those of us who like to write in a more, dare I say, dated time. It's like pop music. Pop artists have to evolve and ride the trendy wave in order to stay relevant. It's not until that point in time where what was popular 30 years ago becomes popular again because of the nostalgia trend (ie; we see A LOT of 80's trends returning now).

With all that said, I think Homay's piece demonstrates a hybrid between Trailer music trends and sort of the quasi-melodramatic "epic" trend from a few years ago. It does sound a bit dated to me but still very much tailoring to a trend that young composers can easily tap into and create starting out. I've felt like these types of videos that Spitfire puts out are really geared towards those individuals which is a great thing, especially with how accessible music tech is to anyone nowadays. If there is any crime here worth criticizing it's this...

For just $2,345 USD (assuming you miss the wishlist), you too can create music like this. Now, this is nothing against Homay's abilities. I've heard tons of her work since she's worked at Spitfire. She can write. No doubt. My point is that damn, for the cost of all those libraries used in that video, you really could have gone all out and created something with a lot more depth to illustrate the power of those libraries working together. Cookie cutter demos aren't really attractive anymore these days and even less so when you have the talent capable of writing good music. Food for thought I guess.

Best,

Chris

Top Bottom