What's new

New Production: "From the Edge of the Universe"

FrenchTubist

Pierre Basso
Hi Guys!
Here you can find the link of my new production entitled: From the Edge of the Universe.

It's the first time that I create a clip for a composition. So I would really appreciate comments and critics on both sides: music and video. It's a mix of all my musical influences. I hope you will enjoy it and feel free to share the video.

Peter

PS: all pictures are royalties free from several free bank of images.

Blimey, how many different musical ideas/motifs can be crammed into 4.43 seconds. Fascinating listening and watching. Maybe take an idea or two and develop them into a complete, structured piece rather than just going from idea to idea. You then have a complete albums worth of material!

Blimey, how many different musical ideas/motifs can be crammed into 4.43 seconds. Fascinating listening and watching. Maybe take an idea or two and develop them into a complete, structured piece rather than just going from idea to idea. You then have a complete albums worth of material!

Thank you very much for this very interesting critic! I'm very touched.

You're perfectly right with the fact that maybe I crammed a little bit too quick my ideas but let me invite you to listen the piece once again with the following explanations.
This piece is for me only a big variation or a musical metamorphosis.
In the first minute I expose 3 major ideas. The pentatonic Melody in D, this crazy chromatic line with the violin and finally this little fugato.
At 1:00 the upper violins are playing the D-melody and the synth is making a countermelody.
At 1:20 same principe but I flip my melody on G major pentatonic.
From 1:35 to 2:05: it's just a big tonic-pedal as an evocation of the beginning.
At 2:10 new material for a big huge contrast
From 2:20 to 2:55: it's an other evocation of the d Melody but on A dorian scale and with a flourish counterpoint. That's why it's sound new but it's technically not.
At 3:00 pay attention to the bass. The D melody is at the bass and I made a reharmonization on it with jazzy-chords.
At 3:10: at the bass the chromatic Melody of the beginning come back and conclude the drop with a phrygian cadence.
3:20: pedale point in F, as the relative tonality of D.
From 3:30 to 3:50: superposition of several main melodies in D pentatonic but the harmony is in B major, which means you have visited the two mediant relation of D. The end of the trip is coming.
3:55: come back of the fugue as the conclusion, this time in major. The begin of the subject has been changed from an augmented ascending fourth to a descending perfect fifth. The tension is solved and that the conclusion of the journey. You are arrived on Earth.

I hope you will find this explanation interesting and not too boring...

That is one detailed reply! lol. You can't expect people to understand a word of what you are saying, amirite?

Your vocabulary indicates you have a degree in music. And that is exactly what I hear in your composition as well.
All theoretically justified, I'm sure, but it misses some heart to me (opinion). I was a bit surprised with the Kraftwerk/80's sounds you used. Most samples are lacking realism, in sound as well as dynamics and timing (which is too perfect), the bass and drums in particular.

I must say, the 3.20 theme is pretty nice sounding to my ears. As @Hywel suggested, why not extend one theme to a full length composition? Would be great if it was played by an orchestra, or at least proper samples.

All opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Looking forward to your reply ;)

That is one detailed reply! lol. You can't expect people to understand a word of what you are saying, amirite?

Your vocabulary indicates you have a degree in music. And that is exactly what I hear in your composition as well.
All theoretically justified, I'm sure, but it misses some heart to me (opinion). I was a bit surprised with the Kraftwerk/80's sounds you used. Most samples are lacking realism, in sound as well as dynamics and timing (which is too perfect), the bass and drums in particular.

I must say, the 3.20 theme is pretty nice sounding to my ears. As @Hywel suggested, why not extend one theme to a full length composition? Would be great if it was played by an orchestra, or at least proper samples.

All opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Looking forward to your reply ;)
Thanks for your reply and critic.
I try to make a shorter answer this time. Lol.
First I agree with your critic. I need to improve my "sample" skills. May I ask you what I could do to improve the sound of my samples? And also the timing problem?
Secondly I don't close the door to reuse one theme for a longer composition. Just for the moment I need to write something totally new and different to refresh my mind.
Thirdly, I'm just a beginner in the field of the audio production. I started working with samples only since 6 months.... I take every advices gladly and I know that I have a lot to learn. I'm looking forward to your reply too!

Top Bottom