What's new

New pc build - please help me evaluate

Nice system. But maybe it’s better to take a Corsair (PSU)? It`s very durable and quiet. Also, the new cases from Define R6 line are very good.

Reactions: muk
Thanks. Pictus suggested a Corsair PSU as well. Definitely my choice now. I have a Fractal R4 and I'll reuse that. I am happy with it.

A big plus for the B550 over the X570 is the *lack* of chipset fan! It will give you a quieter system.
Is this true Wayne, I'm also seriously looking at the X570 for my build and although I had the same concern that you express here, in all my searching I haven't seen anything about the X570 being noisy versus the B550 except once, but that person who was a friend of mine was only surmising.

The importance of the X570 for me is that it has two Gen4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2 SSD slots instead of just one.

Also I haven't had the chance to read all the posts, but in my search for a CPU cooler I came across the "Scythe Fuma 2 Dual Tower CPU Cooler", it has some amazing specs and is smaller and quieter then the"be quiet! Dark Rock 4".

A big plus for the B550 over the X570 is the *lack* of chipset fan! It will give you a quieter system.
Hi,
All person who have an X570 motherboard will tell you that is a false purpose, because these fans are inaudible in normal use. You 'll being able to hear it only during 5 -10 sec at startup, then it will be regulated and make nearly zero noise.

So the big plus for the B550 is the lack of the fan chipset which prevent potentially a fan failure, but not for the purpose of a quieter system.
It was a big concern when the X570 chipset was released and now with multiples reviews, we can tell that the noise of these fan are very low to be really take on consideration in a context of choice for quieter system. furthermore if you case is soundproofed like a fractal defined R7 for example.

Is this true Wayne, I'm also seriously looking at the X570 for my build and although I had the same concern that you express here, in all my searching I haven't seen anything about the X570 being noisy versus the B550 except once, but that person who was a friend of mine was only surmising.

The importance of the X570 for me is that it has two Gen4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2 SSD slots instead of just one.

Also I haven't had the chance to read all the posts, but in my search for a CPU cooler I came across the "Scythe Fuma 2 Dual Tower CPU Cooler", it has some amazing specs and is smaller and quieter then the"be quiet! Dark Rock 4".
Hi,
Yes indeed your CPU fan will be more noisy than the chipset fan even with a good cooler, so the major noise source will be the CPU. that's why a silent cooler is highly recommanded for your needs. the best one is the noctua NH D15, the Be quiet dark rock 4, or the noctua NH u 12s. Try to avoid the 2 fans configuration (2 fans make more noise than one).

Okay thanks Solarsentinel, the only reason I'm thinking X570 is because of the 2 Gen4 NVMe M.2 slots vrs the B550 which I think only has 1.

Regarding CPU coolers, I was thinking noctua NH D15 which I'd have to get a little bigger case for. but then I started hearing about the Scythe Fuma 2, and after seeing several reviews, all giving good marks, plus it's only $59.99, I think that's the way I might go. Here's a link to one of the many reviews I've watched.

This is just one of the results of some of the testing I've seen.
CPU Coolers (Temps Vrs Noise) 1.png

Top Bottom