What's new

New PC Build List. Any Suggestions?

I knew the setup would be tricky for that monitor system. I have no idea If I would be happy with the results of the Big background monitor. Sharpness and the ability to read the fonts have historically been tough. + The world has gone GPU crazy. I know there won't be any letup for greed, but hopefully there will be ways to eventually get capable Vid results without losing your shirt.

One of the things the local builder I talked to here said was that the higher end Ryzens run pretty hot which made me stick with Intel to match his build list for comparison purposes. I'm open to AMD arguments!
I needed to run 4 monitors for one of the churches that got the i9-10900K PC I built for them. Thanks to crypto whatsit, forget finding a decent card.. I had an old EVGA GTX 550 TI so I put that in there, then found another one used on eBay for $26. Two monitors per card, works great! They are all simple 1920x1080 so it works. If finding graphics is difficult, let's look into two cheaper cards that support 4K and run two monitors per card. If you aren't gaming, it'll work great. We'll need to make sure your MOBO has at least 3 PCIe slots, always want an extra for an expansion.

I knew the setup would be tricky for that monitor system. I have no idea If I would be happy with the results of the Big background monitor. Sharpness and the ability to read the fonts have historically been tough. + The world has gone GPU crazy. I know there won't be any letup for greed, but hopefully there will be ways to eventually get capable Vid results without losing your shirt.

One of the things the local builder I talked to here said was that the higher end Ryzens run pretty hot which made me stick with Intel to match his build list for comparison purposes. I'm open to AMD arguments!
Nothing is more hot or power hungry than the outdated Intel CPUs...

Go AMD! :2thumbs:
I created a PC you may use as a baseline guide, buy the parts and bring to the
local builder to assembly, check at https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7bGzVc
If do not need Thunderbolt, can change the motherboard to
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cL...-pro-v2-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro-v2
Later can add a Thunderbolt card.

The extra 140mm fan is to be placed in the case front.

The PSU is overkill because it is semi-passive, up to +-250W the fan is off and up
to +- 600W the RPM/Noise is very low.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-5.html

Or go 100% passive
or

Some good tweaks

Get a Windows 10 Pro OEM key

Last edited:
See? Ryzen is coming of age. Especially for gamers. But, has the latest Ryzen series caught up with Intel in Floating Point and single-core performance? That’s not a big issue in other realms but for music editing it‘s HUGE. If AMD has caught up in that area, then great, go for it.

I've built a new music production PC around a 5900X, I haven't used it properly yet (am still installing programs / libraries / tweaking etc.) but it looks to be a good sytem.

BeQuiet 802 case / lots of BeQuiet 140mm fans / Noctua U12A cooler - runs cool and very quiet !

Ok, did some research, and it’s the current line of AMD that has caught up to Intel in the areas that we as composers need to worry about. This cpu benchmark.net chart shows the comparable Ryzen 7 and Intel i7 11th gen to be neck-and-neck in single core, and I checked floating point separately and they are pretty much identical. The power consumption and yearly cost of operation are not that different, Intel as expected is slightly higher. At this point it’s Ford vs Chevy for us. Strict gamers should go for Ryzen, definitely. According to the CPU mark specs.
E1A94A49-2B40-42BD-AABD-937F656105EC.jpeg

I've built a new music production PC around a 5900X, I haven't used it properly yet (am still installing programs / libraries / tweaking etc.) but it looks to be a good sytem.

BeQuiet 802 case / lots of BeQuiet 140mm fans / Noctua U12A cooler - runs cool and very quiet !
Based on what I just researched, good call on the Ryzen pick. If anyone who produces music is going to do a Ryzen processor, they need to pick the current generation for single core and FP reasons.

Nice case… I’m definitely getting rid of my windbag loud Antec case and going for the beQuiet!

Quick question, is AMD ryzen is also good for music production? I'm using Cubase on intel 6800k and thinking about upgrading some parts.
I switched from Intel to AMD 6 months ago, because these CPU give a great bang for the buck and are perfect for workstations given their number of cores + single core speed for zen3. You can find benchmarks on the proaudioscan website even though it's not up to date. It covers only the previous generation of Ryzen from 2020 (zen2) but the new generation (zen3) is even better and performs better than Intel on every level (workstation, games etc).

I switched from Intel to AMD 6 months ago, because these CPU give a great bang for the buck and are perfect for workstations given their number of cores + single core speed for zen3. You can find benchmarks on the proaudioscan website even though it's not up to date. It covers only the previous generation of Ryzen from 2020 (zen2) but the new generation (zen3) is even better and performs better than Intel on every level (workstation, games etc).
Ohhh nice good to hear that. I would upgrade next year.

That’s exactly what I found too, just TODAY, which is great news for all of us. Now we as music producers have a totally level playing field. As a multi-decade Intel guy (who works for a semiconductor company where Intel is one of our customers, although that genuinely has nothing to do with it), I’d use the new line of Ryzen in a heartbeat NOW, because single-core and FP have caught up. I never knew that was an issue, but moot point now. The Ryzen 5800X and the Intel i7-11th Gen are pretty much identical in specs and price and if you need to keep the cost of the CPU at $400 or less, either is a no-brainer. The selling price for both CPUs is identical… That is incredibly amazing—that for that price, someone starting out in orchestration or even wanting to upgrade like Jazzman can get some serious power without laying out 4 figures like we did just three years ago! The deciding factor is simple: who has the motherboard in stock that has the specs you want? 😂 Because those are getting harder to find I recently discovered. As far as power, I mean, 105w vs 125w watt isn’t exactly a wide gap. “Being in stock” anymore is the driving factor. 😀

However, I have seen some threads about AMD having less latency and that’s a very interesting thing to research also. I wonder what aspect in the food chain that really affects, because I have no problems with that personally but every CPU and motherboard can have a different “relationship” for lack of a better word. Audio Interface and drivers also come into play there. I had issues even with my i9-7940X, but as soon as I invested in the RME Babyface Pro with those great ASIO drivers, all my issues literally went away. @rgames has put out some very detailed videos on this whole subject, really good info if you look that up.

Last edited:
(...)However, I have seen some threads about AMD having less latency and that’s a very interesting thing to research also. (...)
Nowadays Ryzen 5000 is a better choice.
RyanC has AMD 5950X and Intel 7980xe and both with Thunderbolt, look what he says:

Nowadays Ryzen 5000 is a better choice.
RyanC has AMD 5950X and Intel 7980xe and both with Thunderbolt, look what he says:
Hmmmm… I think it’s pretty clear you own stock in the company. 😀

I decided to take a slightly more conservative route (thanks in part to Prime Day!)

My project is a relatively small upgrade, I need to add TB to the system, which means a new motherboard, which means a new CPU, and sadly new memory. I ended up with these (arriving later this week):
  • CPU - Intel i7=10700k
    (for the price this seems very hard to beat).
  • Mobo -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SYWZW4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (ASUS Prime Z590-A)
    (this was the hard part, I wanted to go with Intel 500 series chip set to future proof as much as possible, and there are not reasonably priced Z590 boards with on-board TB, so I will add their TB card when I pick up my first TB equipped interface. This also let me spread the cost out over time.)
  • Memory - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0884TNHNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK)
    (this lets me upgrade easily to 64 GB, should I need to.)
  • Cooler - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084P82HRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (ARCTIC Freezer 7 X - Compact Multi-Compatible CPU Cooler)
    (had to go somewhat short because this is going in a 4RU rack mount case)
Always interested in thoughts and suggestions. And I will post my thoughts comparing this build to my very reliable current build:
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
  • RAM - 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz
  • MOBO - ASRock Z97 Extreme4
Other than TB this machine would probably have lasted at least another year - I think???

Fat's in the fire now! Just picked up the

SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4​

313.00 Amazon prime deal. Decided to pull the trigger in spite of the generally ugly prices. Need for Speed!

Well, I don't want to be a downer but I was a tad disappointed by my Samsung 970 nvme. I couldn't notice any difference with a SATA SSD in real world applications (Windows starting up, Cubase etc) :confused:

PS: TB = either Thunderbird (Pontiac) or thunderbolt which makes a bit more sense.

Well, I don't want to be a downer but I was a tad disappointed by my Samsung 970 nvme. I couldn't notice any difference with a SATA SSD in real world applications (Windows starting up, Cubase etc) :confused:

PS: TB = either Thunderbird (Pontiac) or thunderbolt which makes a bit more sense.
If it doesn't help, I can pull the plug since there is a delay. Shame "In theory" and "On paper" doesn't match up with real-world when we want it to! Appreciate the input

No no, it doesn’t mean you have to cancel your order, you‘ve got yourself a very good deal. It’s just that for now, I don’t think components (MB etc) use the real potential of nvme SSDs. But it doesn’t mean this potential wont be used in the future.

And at least if there’s a bandwidth bottleneck somewhere, you will be sure it won’t be the Samsung. Just don’t expect a really noticeable difference between SATA SSD and nvme SSD for the time being.

Top Bottom