What's new

New PC build, CPU advice? (modest budget)

VI DIY guys sharing info is great.
AMD knocking down Intel prices, awesome.

I'm finishing up on my cheap/fast 1U i7 4790k.
1250 USD.
In Dec. 2016 it was 1650.

Thank you AMD...

I would build a 7700k mini PC using the ASRock Mini STX motherboard. 32gb of DDR 4 ram and a Samsung Evo 960.

The Samsung Evo 960 is almost as fast as the Pro... 5 times faster than most SSDs, and will mean you don't need much ram. 7700K is the best CPU for the cost.

Hi Chimuelo, I'm curious to know more about 1u builds. I assume your using for live performance? Isn't cooling an issue with such a small chassis? I'm hoping to build a VEPro slave that could do double duty as live/studio rig. Could you share any specs of your build? Thanks :)

Hi Chimuelo, I'm curious to know more about 1u builds. I assume your using for live performance? Isn't cooling an issue with such a small chassis? I'm hoping to build a VEPro slave that could do double duty as live/studio rig. Could you share any specs of your build? Thanks :)

Use this case,

https://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-h1.s-fanless-computer-case.html

Passively cooled 1u (even a bit smaller). Put in the ASRock Mini STX motherboard. Silent tiny and powerful.

Sure.
It requires either older Z Series chips, or newer Xeon v6 CPUs.
32GBs or 64GBs.
Here’s my H97 32GB Win 8 Slave/Live rig.

5E5B77C6-91FE-489F-9DEB-0B131FEFC9C5.jpeg 8A5C4D36-40F0-4044-8793-E33373D4B44F.jpeg 91F9F52D-7660-4FCD-86FA-851FFE43274C.jpeg

What ram speed would you recommend for a 7700K build? Is the ram speed going to make a big difference?

For music, RAM speed doesn't matter, try a slower clock of 2333 (if the MOBO supports it) so you save a little ££. You always pay more for higher clock speeds or better timings. What's more important is the CPU single core speed, but if you can, when you get lower clocked RAM try to get some with decent timing.

Top Bottom