New Moderating Policies - Please Read

Discussion in 'Welcome to V.I. Control!' started by Mike Greene, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    The 1% could use this in a perverted way ;).

Seriously though, this could be a slippery slope. The internet has taught us there is such a thing as mob trials. As an illustration, see The Orville's season 1 episode "Majority Rule" (a great series if you don't know it yet)

2. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    I agree, mob rule is unfortunately a very real and unfortunate thing so it's best not to go down that road.

Although I agree with Mike's intentions and sentiments I'll be hopeful yet cautious at the same time as I watch how this develops. I'm never a huge fan of censoring people. Nevertheless all the negativity can certainly ruin things for an otherwise great place so it has to be dealt with somehow, I'm just saying it's a tough balance that I, thankfully, don't have to deal with.

If one needs a place to spout off whatever obscenities they so desire to get off their chest then you may be interested to know of a company I saw a news report on just a few years ago. They take phone calls (for a fee of course) where you can call in tell the person off in any way you like, no joke. I could look it up for you, they might still be in business:)

PS: I'll try and be more aware of what I have to say and think before posting because as Mike said, none of us ever think we are the problem and I don't want to be high and mighty thinking I'm the perfect child around here.

3. Some type of conduct system could work where users get 5 flag points a month and use them to flag spam, trolling or flaming posts. Then at the end of each month, if someone has accumulated a couple flaged posts they get put on the naughty list, if they accumulate a lot of flagged posts then they get a temporary ban. If they get 3 temporary bans over the course of a year, they get permaband.

4. dgburns

dgburns tinkle tinkle

Nov 4, 2012
  5. Frederick Russ

Frederick Russ Founder Emeritus

Brilliant! Hey Mike, long time. Just ducking in here to say: this is fantastic. Looks like the future of VI Control is in really good hands. I've been passionate about VI-C since it began in 2004. When we first met, in that rather cool studio you have in Hollywood (probably in 2006-07?), I thought even way back then that you would be a great succeeder as an admin for VI.

As for me, I'm enjoying my retirement. Life is good! And so are all of you. Just here to send a little love to Maestro Mike Greene and to this beautiful, awesomely messy, glorious community and composer family the kids all built together back in 2004.

So proud of you, Mike. And the how you kept things glued together with duct tape and digital superglue. It really is the best composer community in the world. Long Live VI!

6. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    And thanks to you Russ for leaving it in such good hands and making this a fantastic learning place.

Glad to see youre enjoying retirement.
    Thanks Again.

7. Frederick Russ

Frederick Russ Founder Emeritus

Wow, long time! Thank you Chimuelo for being part of it.

chimuelo likes this.