What's new

New Mac Pro - is a multi-computer rig necessary for composers anymore?

jbmoonchild

Working composer here ready to upgrade my single Mac Pro (quad-core trashcan) system. For the longest time I had been considering demoting my current computer to PT/video rig and buying a nice new computer to use as my DAW/sequencer rig (and maybe someday a third for VEP). But with the release of these insane new mac pros, I'm considering going big there and essentially creating a one-computer system that runs Pro Tools and Logic and 3 or 4 displays on one machine. Perhaps even VEP. It seems to me that the primary purpose of the common multi-computer setups is to separate limited resources (CPU/RAM/GPU) - which makes sense. But with the specs on these new Mac Pros...I wonder if it actually makes more sense to simplify and eliminate the need for ethernet networking, multiple interfaces, mouse and keyboard switching, etc. I would probably be looking at the 12 or 16 core, 96GB ram model for about $8k-9k. Thoughts? Is there a good reason I'm not considering to keep video, VEP, and sequencer DAW on separate computers?

Reactions: GNP
In general, no you don't need multiple machines. It depends on what you write and how you write it.

The real limitations are voice counts and latency and you still need multiple machines if you're hitting bottlenecks there. But only you know what bottlenecks you're hitting.

I definitely wouldn't spend $8k on a master DAW. Anything in the $2500 range is about as good as it gets for a single machine from the DAW perspective - the $8k machine won't perform any better (though I'll admit some uncertainty on Macs in the $2500 price range).

If you have that kind of money then two or three machines totaling $5k will vastly outperform any single machine that costs $8k.

Donate the extra $3k to someone other than Apple. Apple's in pretty good shape :)

rgames

In general, no you don't need multiple machines. It depends on what you write and how you write it.

The real limitations are voice counts and latency and you still need multiple machines if you're hitting bottlenecks there. But only you know what bottlenecks you're hitting.

I definitely wouldn't spend $8k on a master DAW. Anything in the $2500 range is about as good as it gets for a single machine from the DAW perspective - the $8k machine won't perform any better (though I'll admit some uncertainty on Macs in the $2500 price range).

If you have that kind of money then two or three machines totaling $5k will vastly outperform any single machine that costs $8k.

Donate the extra $3k to someone other than Apple. Apple's in pretty good shape :)

rgames

Thanks for the reply. I guess the idea of running everything on one computer feels more *elegant* to me and eliminates a whole lot of cables, boxes, switches, etc. But if you think the new mac minis or regular iMacs, for example, are more than capable as a master DAW, then its probably much more economical to go that route with an extra interface and the switches and stuff.

Richard has a giant anti-Apple erection, but I'm 100% with him on everything else.

It is more elegant running everything on one machine, but VEP only needs one cable - Ethernet.

True. It's the ProTools/video slave that needs a bit more linkage. For those of you using a separate computer for video playback, do you usually send the Dia/SFX and temp music tracks out of ProTools via an interface and into some input-monitored tracks in your master DAW? Trying to figure out the easiest way to route audio from PT session on a separate computer to my speakers alongside production audio.

I think only you would have a good idea really based on your working projects/templates. I have 2 slaves and I’m used to pretty much watching 64 gigs of ram get gobbled up on both with my basic everyday templates. I’m in the same boat as I’m really forward to going single machine soon.

I run 3 hackintosh machines with VE Pro. Two has 64GB ram, one has 128GB RAM, two have quad core CPU's, one has an 8-core. Plethoras of SSD disk space (around 100TB). Total cost? $6K.

So to answer your question, for those of us who don't want to throw Apple $8K or more, YES, we still need multiple computer rigs.

Here's another reason - having multiple machines gives me redundancy. If my main DAW machine goes down I have Cubase installed on the other two so I can be up and running again in about an hour.

I’m not prepared to pay that kind of money for a new Mac Pro at the minute, so using multiple machines is the way I’m going to be working for a while. It’s amazing how much horsepower you add to your system by adding even just a mediocre specced computer. The only thing you have to stomach is the increased electricity bill and a workflow involving multiple machines.

Alright, you've all convinced me to go the multiple computer route. I'm still wrapping my head around the best way to route audio from multiple machines to my speakers, and mouse/keyboard control, etc but I think this is the best option

Alright, you've all convinced me to go the multiple computer route. I'm still wrapping my head around the best way to route audio from multiple machines to my speakers, and mouse/keyboard control, etc but I think this is the best option

If you use VE Pro, MIDI and audio is routed via ethernet. All you need is a gigabit ethernet switch and an ethernet NIC on each machine. Check out VSL's website for more information.

In terms of KVM control, two of my machines have their own and the third one which I hardly ever need to access is controlled via remote desktop. You COULD use a KVM switch as well but I prefer my setup...all the affordable KVM switches I've used are glitchy. I haven't used them in a long time though so you might have more luck than I did.

If you use VE Pro, MIDI and audio is routed via ethernet. All you need is a gigabit ethernet switch and an ethernet NIC on each machine. Check out VSL's website for more information.

In terms of KVM control, two of my machines have their own and the third one which I hardly ever need to access is controlled via remote desktop. You COULD use a KVM switch as well but I prefer my setup...all the affordable KVM switches I've used are glitchy. I haven't used them in a long time though so you might have more luck than I did.
Right. BUT what if I'm not running VEP on the slave computer that is hosting the video?

About how you hook up your speakers, the most likely setup is to have the audio interface on your main machine. For most people that would be the one you run your DAW on, and the most powerful one.

What was the other point I was going to make...

About how you hook up your speakers, the most likely setup is to have the audio interface on your main machine. For most people that would be the one you run your DAW on, and the most powerful one.

What was the other point I was going to make...
Definitely gonna keep my main interface on my main machine. What I'm wondering about is the best way to get the audio from the slave machine into said interface. Basically, do I need a second audio or MADI interface or can I do this via ethernet.

Oh yeah. I gave up on KVMs 15 years ago in favor of Remote Desktop. Slave computers just behave like separate programs running on your main machine.

And if you don’t have VE Pro on your Pro Tools machine you’ll have to put an audio interface with MIDI for time code to keep it in sync. Or use Network MIDI, actually a better idea.

But I’d our VE Pro on it.

Top Bottom