What's new

New M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBooks!

Ther has never been a better time to upgrade
I'm having buyers regret. Not sure if I should swap my 16inch 64gb 4tb for 14inch 64gb 4tb. Nothing is different other than the battery life... and a lot of AUD$
I would say depends on your use case. If you use your laptop for travel a lot 14 inch is much more portable however the 16 inch probably will stay more silent under heavy load due to its room for more cooling. Benchmarks will show soon if that’s the case but it’s likely.

I wonder why they skipped it. it was part of the rumors. maybe theyll leave it for later with the mac cube or whatever they said was the rumor of a smaller desktop.
I'm guessing here:

1) Apple wants to push users that need more than 16GB to go for the newer MBPs

2) They are instead working on a new Mini and waiting to release that with the M1 Pro/Max

Maybe both?

I'm guessing here:

1) Apple wants to push users that need more than 16GB to go for the newer MBPs

2) They are instead working on a new Mini and waiting to release that with the M1 Pro/Max

Maybe both?
Seeing it from apples point of view, it might be they want to slowly introduce each chip and that way see the reactions, issues and the way it works w Monterrey.

And also, the main purpose of the m series is to not over heat and be small so MacBooks seem a good fit.

And also split those events more evenly. Next we know it’s imac and mini and maybe cube.
So mini would make more sense in that bunch I think.

And next would be the Mac Pro w probably a m2 or something.

Does anyone know if the Apple silicon architecture could eventually allow for having traditional RAM sticks in addition to the integrated On chip RAM? For an eventual Apple silicon Mac Pro, this would allow for adding the Ram we need for sample libraries, ie up to 1.5TB in the current 2019 Intel Mac Pro. In my mind it would work kind of like the hybrid drives that combined a ssd and a spinning hard drive, but for RAM.

Looking forward to the M5. (This…unit…must survive)

M1 thru M4 apparently were not entirely successful: “The M-5 multitronic unit, or the M-5 computer, was an advanced multitronic computer system and prototype created by Doctor Richard Daystrom during the mid-23rd century. It utilized very sophisticated (broken link removed), probably similar to the Human neural network, and much more sophisticated than the duotronic computer commonly in use at the time. According to Dr. Daystrom, the computer could think and reason like a Human. He had used his own memory engrams as a model for the computer. Models M-1 through M-4 were not entirely successful.”

Does anyone know if the Apple silicon architecture could eventually allow for having traditional RAM sticks in addition to the integrated On chip RAM? For an eventual Apple silicon Mac Pro, this would allow for adding the Ram we need for sample libraries, ie up to 1.5TB in the current 2019 Intel Mac Pro. In my mind it would work kind of like the hybrid drives that combined a ssd and a spinning hard drive, but for RAM.
The unfortunate reality is that integrating processor and memory in the same package makes more sense from a performance and power point of view. One option might be to do what's happening in servers now where there's a slower 'persistent' memory that's halfway between DRAM and flash. That would make it easier to have a slightly smaller in-package memory with potentially hundreds of gigabytes that's accessed like regular DRAM to support things like big templates.

But that's not going to happen anytime soon if it ever happens for desktops (I think that option has now gone for laptops as far as Apple is concerned).

But a very good music making friend of mine originally bought a 32" 4K monitor about a couple of years ago (I think it was an LG monitor). While the monitor was very nice, he found the pixels just too small at native 4K resolution.
I run my 32” 4K screen at 150% resolution at a couple theft way max, and it is a good size. Equivelant to a 1440 screen real estate.

It's entirely up to Apple. Technically it is possible, but they may not wish to do it for many reasons.

If they do, I suspect it will be on an AS Pro desktop only.

Wayne

I’m not sure if any composers really put the M1 through it’s paces regarding sample libraries. I imagine software will need to be rewritten once we’re all on M1s.

I hope everyone who preordered M1 Pros or Maxes will post some test results here. Curious to see how they handle virtual instruments. I'm still waiting for the next-gen Mac Minis.

The unfortunate reality is that integrating processor and memory in the same package makes more sense from a performance and power point of view. One option might be to do what's happening in servers now where there's a slower 'persistent' memory that's halfway between DRAM and flash. That would make it easier to have a slightly smaller in-package memory with potentially hundreds of gigabytes that's accessed like regular DRAM to support things like big templates.

But that's not going to happen anytime soon if it ever happens for desktops (I think that option has now gone for laptops as far as Apple is concerned).
Even if it did happen, honestly, I'm really loving the VEPro workflow of having my samples loaded constantly. Working on films in a one-cue-per-project workflow, it just saves a ton of time not having to reload samples for every cue, especially when it comes to crunch time and you need to print stems and do MIDI prep for orchestration and you're opening a ton of projects.

So a cheap PC loaded with RAM as a VEPro system makes sense alongside one of these new Apple Silicon Macs to run my DAW, synths, and FX plugins.

Reactions: nas
This guy! Oy.

He has a point though.

The biggest question mark left is the cooling, both in turns of potential throttling and..well…not sounding like a hoover.

He has a point though?

The biggest question mark left is the cooling, both in turns of potential throttling and..well…not sounding lien a hoover.
:)

I just saw this a couple of minutes ago:

Who knows!

I'm most curious about the "studio-grade" mics. Obviously they're not going to replace real studio-grade recording chains, but they might have some real musical applications.

Top Bottom